American Thanksgiving

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

So, what are your menu plans this year?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Not surprisingly, it is just the four of us - Dam-sel, Menolly, Dam-et (back from Uni for the first time since September when he went back a couple days after my unexpected hospitalization), and me this year. Unless someone wants to join us?

Here is the plan at this point, after menu discussions today:
  • Turkey, dry-brined ala Kenji is a foregone conclusion...but for the first time since Menolly joined the household in 2012, I am going back to low-and-slow grilling if the weather permits. Alton Brown's oven method produces a fine bird, but some of us miss the kiss of smoke.

Stuffing, probably in a crockpot, although I have not given up on an oven method which I think produces a better texture. Cornbread isn't getting much traction yet, but I hold out hope that we can go with a fresher crumb/cube than bagged stuffing breads provide.

Sweet potato / apple gratin

Vegetables TBD - nobody endorsed the traditional green bean casserole, but I am contemplating a grilled kale salad with a bacon vinaigrette and a spinach soufflé in the role of Tall Pudding (Don't get the reference? Re-read the rest of this thread!)

Cranberry-orange compote

Pumpkin bread

Blueberry pie
I'd mention some of my thoughts on wine/spirit pairings, but you see upthread how well that discussion goes/ Little has changed in the intervening years...
:roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I thought we decided on The Frug's spinach and artichoke casserole? That's what you bought the artichoke hearts and spinach for (I don't know if you have purchased the block of cream cheese for it yet).
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Come share what you did, whether for the community of sharing this thread has been over the years...or just to lift November's anemic post count on the Watch.

FWIW, the plan negotiated above is pretty much what happened at our house. Here's the turkey after about three hours of pecan smoke:

Menolly took pictures of all the other dishes she, Dam-sel and I made. I'll let her assemble and post that.

Dam-et did not cook this year, but did offer a few small helps...and fled when the three of us started singing/reciting along with Arlo Guthrie for the Alice's Restaurant Massacre. No, we kids have not rehabilitated ourselves!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Went to Furr's cafeteria and just pigged out on their Thanksgiving buffet. Had to wait over an hour to make it through the line, but no dishes to wash afterward! :mrgreen:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I posted an album of our festive meal on FB. Supposedly anyone can view the album with this link, even without a FB account.

For whatever reason, I can't figure out how to post images on FB to the Watch, and I don't want to bother resizing the photos and posting them on Photobucket.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Very nice, Menolly! I saw it all with no problems, and it's making me hungry all over again! MMMMMM...:P
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

We departed a bit from tradition this year. Having done turkey and the trimmings a couple weeks ago at a friend's game night, we decided to go with Cornish hens. I spatchcocked them, gave them an overnight lemon/garlic/rosemary marinade and grilled them. Menolly made mashed yam with pineapple, coconut, and ginger, green bean casserole, and Clancy's corn pudding. Dam-sel made a pumpkin pie. Dam-et made himself scarce. :roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

So, what's everyone planning this year? Other than the turkey, we haven't really planned anything yet. This thread is handy though, as it shows it's been several years since I've done AB's method.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

As she no doubt intended, Menolly's post nudged us into planning. Good thing, as today is the best day to get the requisite shopping done before the workweek ensues.

Much more traditional this year than last. Menolly already has the bird dry-brining and will oven-roast it, since the last couple years have seen grilled/smoked poultry as the star.

Dressing will be back as well, although she and I will still have to settle which of us is making it, since we have somewhat different methods and ingredients. edit: we're collaborating...which is a fancy way of saying we are doing it her way, with me as sous chef and her possibly accepting some suggestions if they suit her conception of the dish.

I am also making an elevated version of green bean casserole, with a roasted mushroom and garlic cream sauce in place of tinned soup and crispy shallot bits in place of packaged fried onions. Since we did Clancy's corn pudding (suitably tall, of course) last year, Dam-sel is suggesting a carrot souffle as an additional side. We'll see... edit: yep, carrot souffle with a caramel pecan crumble atop.

Dam-sel is doing the tradition-departure for this year, mini cranberry cheesecake parfaits for dessert, rather than pumpkin pie. She's also picking up Dam-et from Uni during the day on Thursday while Menolly and I cook. The boy needs to be back Friday night (he has a new job as he prepares to graduate at the end of the Winter term), so I'll take him back while Dam-sel and Menolly go do Black Friday.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Here it comes again...

We're doing things a day early, as Dam-et has today off work, but must be back tomorrow evening. He is a stocker for a large retailer, so Black Friday preparations will be intense. Much easier to do the celebratory meal today and let tomorrow be a day of leisure until he has to leave.
  • Deviled eggs
    Roasted turkey, AB method
    Dressing (I made two loaves of a keto-friendly bread then cubed and dried it, so this won't be a cheat)
    Mashed potato (cheat)
    Green bean casserole (keto)
    Gravy (hope the keto thickener works, or I'll roux the day...)
    Cranberry-orange relish (semi-cheat for the fruit, but keto-friendly sweetener)
    Pumpkin pie (cheat)
    Pumpkin pie pudding (keto)
This should provide a good balance for both the keto contingent (Menolly and me) and those not on a restrictive way-of-eating (Dam-sel and Dam-et). Menolly and I will likely sample the forbidden items, and hopefully my wife and son will find the dishes I've adapted to be acceptably close to their traditional version.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Whats the AB method?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I do a three day dry brine with salt and sage. Then I do Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey method for cooking.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

-Tom
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

aTOMiC wrote:A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

-Tom
Likewise, Tom!

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ok, it's in the oven. :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Cord Hurn wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

-Tom
Likewise, Tom!

Image Image
🍸🦃🍻🍗🍲🍷🥧🚬🥃

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Happy Thanksgiving one and all

What are you thankful for?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

We have decided to go non keto for the main meal, but we're keeping the variety to a minimum for a festive meal.

Good Eats Roast Turkey after a three day dry brine
Homemade Gravy
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce
Crockpot Stuffing
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Fireball Pumpkin Pie

Usually I do the marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole, but my tastes have changed slightly since beginning keto and chemo. I'll stick with mixing in the crushed pineapple, but I think I'll do a crumble topping instead this year. Any suggestions for a good one, perhaps more nut based than flour based, would be appreciated.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Menolly wrote:I think I'll do a crumble topping instead this year. Any suggestions for a good one, perhaps more nut based than flour based, would be appreciated.
Maple syrup for a sweetened crunch?

I've been drinking elderflower cordail with Indian tonic water, poured very carefully ... it's frothy man!

Cheers

Return to “The Galley”