American Thanksgiving

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Maple syrup definitely would bring the sweet to a T-Day yam casserole. However, while we are not going strict Keto, we do want to limit the uptick of carbs/sugars.

For the basic yam mash, the crushed pineapple will probably be enough sweetener. For any nut crumble, I definitely would consider substituting maple syrup for brown sugar or other sweeteners. To me, there is a potential synergy between the melted butter and the syrup in that combination that would work better than any solid sugar, but I haven't done the tests to validate that such ingredients would really turn out better.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm really tempted to try Max's Special K topping with the "maple sweetened" mini marshmallows she shared on Facebook. I think Dam-sel and I would both enjoy it.

But yeah, that would definitely be carb overload...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yesterday was Thanksgiving dinner redux. I'm hoping for turkey tetrazzini tonight, with planned over green bean casserole mixed in (depending on how much is left) instead of peas. But, it hasn't been enthusiastically embraced as a plan, so...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

We did the tetrazzini (yay!), but SD forgot to put the turkey in it. :roll: It was still very tasty, though.

Tonight is Jewish Penicillin made with the turkey carcass.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, I neglected to put any turkey in the tetrazzini. Dam-et was here Thurs - Sat...and that may have had a negative impact on my short-term memory.
:S
Neither Dam-sel nor Menolly made any mention of the lack of actual turkey in the tetrazzini. Must have been good enough...

Tonight's soup was definitely more-than-good-enough. Yum!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I added turkey to the tetrazzini I brought for lunch today. I expect it will be awesome!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

As expected, the tetrazzini with the turkey added was really good. Today's lunch is turkey noodle soup, minus chunks of turkey since what was left went in to the turkey salad.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thermoworks uploaded a turkey roasting tutorial to YouTube today. Mostly basic information with some plugging of the Thermoworks products included. However, I did learn a few new techniques I plan on implementing when roasting my turkey. If roasting turkey is a once-a-year cook for you, as it is for me, try to find the time to watch this all the way through.

Turkey Roasting Tutorial
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, at least it wasn't a post about eggnog. :D Seems all posts in here recently have been about eggnog. Vile stuff. :lol:

(I don't roast turkey. Here it is the traditional roast for Christmas though, since we don't have "thanksgiving." :D ) (I don't really like turkey actually.)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I like to do a standing rib roast and, if going full carb, Yorkshire pudding for Chri-stmas. I used to only like deli sliced turkey in sandwiches. Then I had my first deep fried turkey, and fell in love. When I moved out west, I was discouraged from deep frying turkeys, due to fear of fire hazard, so I searched for a decent oven one, and I'm really happy with the one I make from Alton Brown.

Between the three day dry brine, and the roasting method, it usually turns out damn fine, if I say so myself.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

To be frank, you practiced Alton's method long before migrating to the Pacific Northwest (it admittedly produces a fine fowl!)...and your biggest objection to a low-and-slow smoked turkey is that you didn't do it.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Deep frying a turkey is just so American. :D

Yeah, if I roast for Christmas it's usually lamb or beef, with potatoes and Yorkies. But since it's generally hot as hell here, in my family at least it was more common to do roast on Christmas eve, and then a cold lunch on Christmas day.

--A
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Avatar wrote:Deep frying a turkey is just so American. :D

Yeah, if I roast for Christmas it's usually lamb or beef, with potatoes and Yorkies. But since it's generally hot as hell here, in my family at least it was more common to do roast on Christmas eve, and then a cold lunch on Christmas day.

--A
This is American. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuofC5mEjv8
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Vader - I was awaiting the ending for the entire video. Should have used large bolts.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

sgt.null wrote:Vader - I was awaiting the ending for the entire video. Should have used large bolts.
Thanksgiving is a differnent thing here in Germany and is also a different date (first Sunday of October, so no day off).

But since I decided to be a Texan by heart a couple of years ago I usually prepare a turkey on this good day the Lord has made for us to stay above the grass. But this year it just ain't worked out, so I'm fixin' to roast me some turkey next week. And it will be ahhh so good.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Enjoy. We had the traditional turkey and fixings Thursday. Julie's brother gave us an entire cooked ham 🐖. I'll be sick of pork by Sunday. 😃
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

It's that time again. With things opening up a little more, are more people getting together this year?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Menu has been set. It is a minimal festive meal, as it will most like be just Dam-sel, SD, and myself. However, Dam-et may show up, pending possible changing circumstances.

My contributions:
Good Eats Roast Turkey, dry brined for three days prior
Homemade gravy from stock and drippings
Homemade cranberry sauce
Crockpot stuffing

SD's contribution:
Green bean casserole, possibly with homemade sauce, rather than using canned condensed soup as the base

Dam-sel's contributions:
Homemade pumpkin bread
Homemade apple pie

Store bought Breyer's French vanilla ice cream for a la mode
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

We got a 14+ pound frozen turkey last Tuesday. Since I do a three day dry brine, I immediately put it in the refrigerator to defrost. I just pulled it to start prepping, and while mostly defrosted, the neck area is still "crunchy" when I palpitate it, leading me to believe the giblets may be still frozen to the interior. So, in to a cold water soak it goes, to be checked, drained, and refilled every 30 minutes until ready.

I'm hoping it will only take one round of soaking.
We'll see...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Turkey took two soak cycles, and it still had ice crystals inside. I scraped them out as best I could.

Bird sprinkled with Sage and Bay dry brine. Set on a rack over a half sheet pan and set on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.

Loosely draped with a flour sack towel I reserve for pressure cooking my bone broth/stock.

Return to “The Galley”