The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 17

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story - Chpt 17

Post by Usivius »

it's early, but I am extremely busy this weekend (long weekend for us - Remembrance Day holiday Monday)...
so....

Chapter 17

Here we have the book-end of the novel. We learn “the real story” behind the opening chapter’s little vignette. And by this time we fully realize how ugly and terrible the price of Morn’s rescue from her captivity with Angus has been.

I love this description of Nick’s entrance to Mallory’s:
He was in a cheerful humour, laughing and joking, but no one was reassured. They way he ignored Angus and Morn didn’t make anybody relax; the scars under his eyes were too dark.
And it is here where we have the moment that drives the whole remaining series on. One simple gesture that makes everything else possible:
Holding her by the wrist, he slipped the control to her zone implant into her hand.
“I accept. The deal you offered. I’ll cover you.”
And if it wasn’t for that (ironically) absolutely selfish act of Angus, Morn would not have the means to empower herself to heroic proportions. Yes, she still had her stubborn mind and intellect and guile, but how long would it last, being utterly broken and now in someone else’s power …

SRD shows his mastery of words. Yes, we know he can write huge epic stories, but we have also been treated to wondrous short stories where in so much can be revealed in such a short space. Many of the chapters in The Real Story of examples of this. And that one passage is a summery of all the potential horror, bravery, and heroics Morn will witness an be capable of.

Amazing.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Probably for the first time in his life, Angus has to put himself completely in the power of another human being in an attempt to save himself. He was in the power of others as a child, but not through his own actions.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

agreed. and the 'trust' (if we are to word it such rom Angus) is so desparate, taht when Morn actually seems to uphold the bargain, Angus is completely floored. Something like that has never happened to him in his entire miserable, cruel life. And although he does not truly understand it (like a regular human being would), he INSTINCTIVELY reacts to it. He understands it like a bond, which he later hold true...
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

Ahar! As the ore pirates say. Yer right as rain!
Shiver me timbers, if it don't looks to me like ye been readin' ahead on us.

I also eschew obfuscation, by the way, but with a little salt and vinegar!

In the first two Covenant chronicles sets, I think SRD was working very hard on his vocabulary-building. A bit too hard, though I love the books, anyway.

But 'e definitely weren't no obfuscation chewer back then! (or even an ineluctable masticator)

Sorry, I get silly when I'm sleep deprived. Then when I finally DO get some sleep I have bad dreams and become sleep depraved.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol:

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”