FR related GI questions and answers

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

um...I read it to be Roger lead to Jeremiah and Jeremiah lead to Anele...and...um... :?

I "get" the Roger and Jeremiah link, but not the Jeremiah and Anele one.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think you are correct.

Anele is a son, too, which is probably the link. Okay, say duh. But that's all I got. The son of Hollian, and Sunder, and (I strongly suspect) Caer Caveral.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

My thought is that as Roger is a biological son of TC, and Jeremiah is an adopted son of LA, Anele is the scion of the entire Land.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In the Gradual Interview, SRD wrote:Perry Bell: Hello Stephen,
I was wondering if you have a certain schedule that you follow for writing. I have heard a few authors have to follow a routine to produce their work, but others have stated their imaginations dont work that way, that they have to write when the ideas come.
This might hit the spoiler territory I think. Now that TC is back, I assume (I wont say the joke to assume) you'll be juggling the P.O.V. ( point of view) for both characters. Will you find that to be more challenging than your other works? Also, are you glad to have TC back FINALLY? I know us readers missed him. :)
Thanks for all you do.
Happy Holidays!
Perry Bell
Reno Nevada.
  • There's nothing spoiler-ish about your "schedule" question; but I'm sure I've already answered in somewhere in the GI. By personality, I'm the kind of guy who needs a routine. In addition, I'm a "tortoise" rather than a "hare": I'm inclined to think that "slow and steady" produces good work more reliably than "fast and furious". (I am, however, well aware that every writer is different.) So I'm very methodical, both in how I write, and in how I organize my writing time.

"Fatal Revenant" certainly conveys the impression that some POV juggling will become inevitable--if it isn't already. But my feelings about that may be very different than yours. *I* haven't missed Covenant, a) because he's dead, and b) because I'm so in love with Linden. (And c) because I'm SO tired of hearing readers complain about her. <rueful smile>) In addition--as you've suggested--I always find juggling POVs to be very challenging. NOT, strangely, in the first "Covenant" trilogy: there every POV felt to me like an extension of Covenant's. But here: well, it's huge. Personally, I haven't actually spent much time observing all of history simultaneously; so I can only guess at the stresses this might exert on the observer.

(01/21/2008)
I thought that this response was very informative.

Apparently, Covenant is able to observe "all of history simultaneously" now. Maybe this is because he is Dead, or because he is Time Warden, or a combination of both.

That, and Donaldson loves Linden Avery. :)

I'm reminded of some of the Theomach discussions, where we had wondered if the Theomach actually went to all the times that he knows of, or if he only was able to observe them. Apparently, the concept of being able to observe other points in time is actually part of the story.

Also, I'm sure Covenant must have some additional powers to go with these powers of observation. Otherwise he's not a time warden, only a time observer.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Wayfriend wrote:
SRD wrote:Personally, I haven't actually spent much time observing all of history simultaneously; so I can only guess at the stresses this might exert on the observer.
Apparently, Covenant is able to observe "all of history simultaneously" now. Maybe this is because he is Dead, or because he is Time Warden, or a combination of both.
This is what Roger (maquerading as TC) tells Linden. So now we know that this is actually "true."

Intriguingly, what SRD's comment made me think of is a caesure. "Observing all of history simultaneously" and "all moments existing simultaneously" seem to be very similar.
Wayfriend wrote:Apparently, the concept of being able to observe other points in time is actually part of the story.

Also, I'm sure Covenant must have some additional powers to go with these powers of observation. Otherwise he's not a time warden, only a time observer.
That's a good point about the Theomach, he may be able to observe other times. Maybe it's a skill he himself has; or maybe he can somehow "visit the Arch of Time" (for lack of a better metaphor).

I'd agree that TC has additional powers.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

In the Gradual Interview, SRD wrote:Perry Bell: Hello Stephen,
I was wondering if you have a certain schedule that you follow for writing. I have heard a few authors have to follow a routine to produce their work, but others have stated their imaginations dont work that way, that they have to write when the ideas come.
This might hit the spoiler territory I think. Now that TC is back, I assume (I wont say the joke to assume) you'll be juggling the P.O.V. ( point of view) for both characters. Will you find that to be more challenging than your other works? Also, are you glad to have TC back FINALLY? I know us readers missed him. :)
Thanks for all you do.
Happy Holidays!
Perry Bell
Reno Nevada.
  • There's nothing spoiler-ish about your "schedule" question; but I'm sure I've already answered in somewhere in the GI. By personality, I'm the kind of guy who needs a routine. In addition, I'm a "tortoise" rather than a "hare": I'm inclined to think that "slow and steady" produces good work more reliably than "fast and furious". (I am, however, well aware that every writer is different.) So I'm very methodical, both in how I write, and in how I organize my writing time.

"Fatal Revenant" certainly conveys the impression that some POV juggling will become inevitable--if it isn't already. But my feelings about that may be very different than yours. *I* haven't missed Covenant, a) because he's dead, and b) because I'm so in love with Linden. (And c) because I'm SO tired of hearing readers complain about her. <rueful smile>) In addition--as you've suggested--I always find juggling POVs to be very challenging. NOT, strangely, in the first "Covenant" trilogy: there every POV felt to me like an extension of Covenant's. But here: well, it's huge. Personally, I haven't actually spent much time observing all of history simultaneously; so I can only guess at the stresses this might exert on the observer.

(01/21/2008)
:evil: :evil: :| :x

That just pisses me off...."I'm so in love with Linden." Bah!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Ossie: Hi Stephen. Just finished Fatal Revenant and I think in time it will become one of my favourites in the entire series. I spent the first half of the book with a mild sense of uncertainty what was going on, but from the big revealing of The Truth you are more than rewarded for sticking with it. Thanks!

My question is about time travel. So far you have taken a very "pure" view of time travel: eg the Staff of Law was lost for all the time between when Linden retrieved it & the present, so going back & bringing it forward did not alter any of the history of the Land in between, because it was lost & not used anyway. This avoids the whole Terminator-style chicken & egg paradox: someone comes back in time from the future to alter things in the present, which ends up creating the exact circumstances in the future that allows them to come back in the first place. A cool concept in its own way, but too mind-bending to really make much sense - I prefer your way!

However in Fatal Revenant, there seem to me to be several times where things *do* happen when Linden goes back to the past, which should fundamentally alter the history of the "present" Land: healing Berek's army comes to mind, but also teaching him about hurtloam, the Theomach teaches him the 7 words, Linden warns the Viles about the Ravers etc. I guess it seems that the Theomach always found Berek so much of that could be explained, but surely Linden healing his army never happened in the "real" past, and this would completely alter the history of Berek in the present (I know he won anyway, but....?). Ditto the hurtloam - I guess you could say that they eventually discovered it themselves, but it just opens up the whole "Linden first taught them about hurtloam, the knowledge was passed down through time until someone eventually taught her about it so she could go back and teach them etc" paradox? And wouldn't the warning about the Ravers have the potential to completely change the history of the Viles being influenced by them?

This is absolutely not to criticise the "integrity" of the story - I'm sure this is all much clearer to you! - it is merely to help my understanding. Nevertheless I loved FR & eagerly awaiting the rest of the story. Thanks.

Respectfully: I thought I answered all of these questions in "Fatal Revenant". For example, the Theomach went to Berek in order to educate him. So if Linden hadn't explained about hurtloam, the Theomach would have done so. As the Mahdoubt explains, the Theomach *interpreted* Linden's healing so that it fit within the "real" history of Berek and his descendants. And I tried to make it clear that the Viles were already aware of the nature of the Ravers. Yes, Linden *risked* altering the, well, let's call it the "story" of the Viles. But she failed because the ploy to get her to surrender the ring failed: the resulting battle with Caerroil Wildwood confirmed the Viles on the *known* path of their story. (I'm rather proud of that paradox: Linden's foes, seeking to induce her to violate history, are forced to act in a way that preserves history.)

I've worked hard to put Linden's foray into the past into a context that preserves the integrity of the past.

(01/21/2008)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

dlbpharmd wrote:That just pisses me off...."I'm so in love with Linden." Bah!
On a serious note: I'm surprised that that's surprising.

Also, I am rather convinced that his logic is sound. The fact that Covenant has been Dead (and Time Warden) for 3,500 years has to make it impossible to use him as a point of view character. He knows too much! Not only would there be no suspense, but there would be no struggle.

I feel sure that this is one of the major issues that led to his being unable to write the Final Cs for so long.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's not surprising to me at all. In fact, Fist and I have talked about it quite a bit. SRD's feelings for Linden are obvious. His callousness toward Covenant was surprising ("*I* haven't missed Covenant) It's also surprising to me that I have a 30 year emotional investment in Covenant and SRD doesn't seem to share that.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

dlbpharmd wrote:
It's not surprising to me at all. In fact, Fist and I have talked about it quite a bit. SRD's feelings for Linden are obvious. His callousness toward Covenant was surprising ("*I* haven't missed Covenant) It's also surprising to me that I have a 30 year emotional investment in Covenant and SRD doesn't seem to share that.
Maybe he just meant that for him TC had reached his personal apotheosis at the end of WGW and he simply has nothing more to say about him, there is nowhere to develop that character any further.

Which I somehow doubt. I bet TC has a lot to say and resolve yet. How about his relationship with his own son, for instance?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

And his feelings about Joan.

We have to be careful how we interpret SRD's comments though. It could be that TC has reached his culmination, from an emotional standpoint, and SRD has little more to say or develop with him... the "because he's dead" comment seems to back this up. Or it could be "i don't miss him because he's not really gone" or "i don't miss him because i know that this story has to be told from Linden's viewpoint" which I believe he's said.

We all have an emotional investment in Thomas Covenant. I want to read from his POV again too. But we're the readers, he's the creator. That's like your best friends saying they still miss your ex-wife even though you know that relationship has run it's course and you've married someone else who fits your current life much better. He's always said he has to do what feels right to him.

On the other hand, "some POV juggling will become inevitable--if it isn't already" certainly seems to imply there will be other POV's coming... though it may not be Covenant's POV.

When SRD says "trust me, it's still the Chronicles of TC" ... I do.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:When SRD says "trust me, it's still the Chronicles of TC" ... I do.
And that statement should put to bed any idea that Covenant has no where to go, that he culminated in WGW and that's the end. If so, why write a story about him?

BTW, he didn't say, I don't miss Covenant. He said, I don't miss Covenant being the POV character. A huge distinction.

We may miss Covenant because he's been absent from the story, but I'm sure Donaldson thinks about him every day, in almost every word he writes. And even when he doesn't write from Covenant's POV, I am sure he considers Covenant's POV all the time, in order to write his actions correctly. So why would we expect him to miss it?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Also remember, he wrote a pseudo-Covenant into half of the book. While in some ways it was certainly a deception, in other ways Roger had to act like TC, and say things that did represent the "real" TC. For example, when he talked about seeing all of time at once... which we know is true, because SRD just confirmed it in the GI.

Hence, as you said Donaldson is thinking and writing about Covenant every day.

Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Thomas Worthington wrote: ...snip...
Linden is the deadweight that I have to carry about to get one final look at the wonderful Land. But, Christ on a bike, I really wish I could do it without her!

When you were drawing together the ideas for the Last Chronicles, did you give much thought to the effect of changing the primary focus from one character to another? Did the danger of losing some readers, for whom T.C. was someone that they had come to identify with, ever factor into your plans or did you never give it a thought? Not that you're losing this one, I hasten to add.
SRD, in vexation wrote:Reactions like yours are a constant source of bafflement to me. Over the past, now, 30 years, I've spent HUNDREDS of hours listening to people whine about what a jerk Covenant is, what a self-pitying little bitch he is, what an unpleasant and even reprehensible individual he is--and now that my readers can finally take a break from him, what do I get? Why, what a jerk Linden is, what a self-pitying little bitch she is, what an unpleasant and even reprehensible individual she is, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE MORE COVENANT? (Of course, you didn't actually say those things yourself; but lots of other people have, and you implied the same.) There's an underlying message here that's much more profound than it sounds. But in the meantime, guess what? I am who I am. I write about the characters I write about because they need me to write about them. Or because they're the only characters I *can* write about. If you don't "get" that after 30 years, I can't help wondering why you're still here.
Whew! 8O

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

he has a point... :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I was pretty much waiting for someone to ask SRD that, because I knew he would say something like that. I gotta write it the way I write it.

(Not that I'm a pro at writing GI questions. :oops:)

The story can ONLY be told the way he's telling it. Linden HAS to be the P.O.V. character. If you don't like Linden, too bad.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

(Not that I'm a pro at writing GI questions. )
You need to send in a follow-up, WF.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Relayer wrote:
Thomas Worthington wrote: ...snip...
Linden is the deadweight that I have to carry about to get one final look at the wonderful Land. But, Christ on a bike, I really wish I could do it without her!

When you were drawing together the ideas for the Last Chronicles, did you give much thought to the effect of changing the primary focus from one character to another? Did the danger of losing some readers, for whom T.C. was someone that they had come to identify with, ever factor into your plans or did you never give it a thought? Not that you're losing this one, I hasten to add.
SRD, in vexation wrote:Reactions like yours are a constant source of bafflement to me. Over the past, now, 30 years, I've spent HUNDREDS of hours listening to people whine about what a jerk Covenant is, what a self-pitying little bitch he is, what an unpleasant and even reprehensible individual he is--and now that my readers can finally take a break from him, what do I get? Why, what a jerk Linden is, what a self-pitying little bitch she is, what an unpleasant and even reprehensible individual she is, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE MORE COVENANT? (Of course, you didn't actually say those things yourself; but lots of other people have, and you implied the same.) There's an underlying message here that's much more profound than it sounds. But in the meantime, guess what? I am who I am. I write about the characters I write about because they need me to write about them. Or because they're the only characters I *can* write about. If you don't "get" that after 30 years, I can't help wondering why you're still here.
Whew! 8O
Take that, THOOLAH! :twisted:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Yet, this comment by Worthington (a member here, perhaps?) had me LMAO:
;)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It was funny, but I thought very disrespectful to say to the Man Himself.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”