RUSH

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Worm of Despite
Lord

RUSH

Post by Worm of Despite »

Been thinking about buying their album Moving Pictures. Anybody got some of their stuff or can tell me what they sound like?
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I have one album. I don't know what it is, or what it sounds like, since I've never listened to it :roll: It was copied for me
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

2112 is THE essential Rush album--they kick ass u won't b dissapointed--Passage to Bangcock and Bytor and the Snowdog are classics: Closer to the Heart, Working Man and Spirit of the Airwaves are some of the better oft played radio songs. Neal (the Professor) Peart is THE best drummer in Rock n Roll!!!
Last edited by danlo on Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

All I can tell you is that I listen to a lot of "real rock" stations, the kind that play Floyd back to back with Metallica or Godsmack. I always change the station when Rush comes on.

That being said, they're a very talented, music-driven band.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
ringthane
Stonedownor

Post by ringthane »

danlo wrote:2112 is THE essential Rush album--they kick ass u won't b dissapointed--The Train to Bangcock and Bytor and the Snowdog are classics: Closer to the Heart, Working Man and Spirit of the Airwaves are some of the better oft played radio songs. Neal (the Professor) Peart is THE best drummer in Rock n Roll!!!
Ok Danlo, we must be twins -- not only are you an SRD fan, but a Rush fan as well :)

I've been a Rush fan for nearly as long as a SRD fan. BTW, Rush's last studio album Vapor Trails was awesome, and they have a new Live double disc DVD coming out in a few weeks (Rush in Rio).

Similarities betwixt SRD and Rush -- Stephen produces thinking man's fantasy. Rush produces thinking man's rock.
ringthane
Stonedownor

Re: RUSH

Post by ringthane »

Lord Foul wrote:Been thinking about buying their album Moving Pictures. Anybody got some of their stuff or can tell me what they sound like?
BTW Foul, Moving Pictures is considered to be one of their 'classic' albums. Definitely a good one to start with.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

ringthane wrote:Stephen produces thinking man's fantasy. Rush produces thinking man's rock.
And for the thinking man's punk, see Bad Religion.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Rush's lead singer's voice sounds, to me, like nails on a blackboard.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's a matter of taste Damelon! Neil Young is my hero--but alot of people think his voice sounds like nails on a blackboard...maybe it's that cold artic Canadian air? :? :D --Syl I like Rush alot but it depends on the mood and the album--I can still Headbang w/the best of them! It's funny how that the more diamondraught I consume I tend move from stuff like Yes to Rush to Bush to Godsmack to Alice in Chains to Tool to Pantera to Bad Religion etc...(is allergic 2 AC/DC, OZZY and 80s hairbands) ringthane when me meet at Bubonicon and it turns out we really r twins--please call me an ambulance? Thanks! 8O :D 8)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Save you the trouble...

Danlo, you're an ambulance.

*rimshot*
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:| :haha: (I'm sure!)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Back in the early 80's when I thought I wanted to be a Punk, I didn't much care for Rush. I had a lot of growing up to do. :-) Danlo is absolutely right. (About a great many things I might add.) Rush and music in general is a very subjective thing. I LOVE Rush. The talent between those three guys is un real. Peart is not only an amazing song writer but, in my humble opinion the greatest drummer since Buddy Rich hands down. Geddy is among the most talented Bassist on the planet. Alex is truly unique and in a word awsome. I had managed to miss every tour through my area until the Vapor Trails tour. I am a complete fan at last. Fan-freaking-tastic. I'll never wash my ears again. Well maybe. My all time favorite albums from Rush are Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures. These two are like a double shot of amazing music. (Unless of course you don't like Rush to begin with.) Oddly enough my favorite all time Rush song appears on Signals. New World Man. Rock On!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"and the meek shall inherit the earth."

Ii. the temples of syrinx
Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

... "the massive grey walls of the temples rise from the
Heart of every federation city. I have always been awed
By them, to think that every single facet of every life is
Regulated and directed from within! our books, our music,
Our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent
Wisdom of the priests..."

We’ve taken care of everything
The words you hear the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It’s one for all and all for one
We work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the priests of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around this world we made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the brotherhood of man
Oh what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the red star proudly high in hand

Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
All the gifts of life are held within our walls.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Cool, danlo! I was gonna post these very lyrics back when Foul started this topic - can't remember why I didn't. *cough lazy* 2112 rocks!! I like carress of steel also; lots of Tolkeinesque stuff for the 70's
dANdeLION
Lord

Re: RUSH

Post by dANdeLION »

Lord Foul wrote:Been thinking about buying their album Moving Pictures. Anybody got some of their stuff or can tell me what they sound like?
I have all of their studio stuff, live stuff, and a good deal of "bootleg" stuff. In short, I'm a fan. Rush went on a creative tear beginning with "A Farewell To Kings" that in my mind culminated with "Moving Pictures" that I believe only happened few other times in rock, like the Beatles "Revolver" through "Abbey Road", and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" through "The Wall". Yet for some mysterious reason Rush never got the praise the others did. Hell, even Kiss is in the Rock 'N Roll hall of fame, yet Rush isn't. It's criminal I tell you, criminal! :screwy: Neil Peart (pronounced "peert") may be the best rock lyricist this side of Dylan, but nobody seems to notice. And the musicianship is amazing. These guys can play anything they want, and they have never succumbed to making music just to attain commercial success. Buy "Moving Pictures". "Tom Sawyer" alone is worth it, "Limelight" is great, "Red Barchetta", "YYZ", "Witchhunt", "The Camera Eye", "Vital signs"; there's not a bad track on the disk.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Rush

Post by Zarathustra »

My favorite band.

With their 27+ albums (I'm losing count), they have a song for every mood. I can go days--heck, weeks listening to nothing but Rush. They constantly reinvent themselves with each new album. They are one of the few 30 year old bands still putting as much effort and energy into their new music as they did their on classic stuff--they are not satisfied to simply live off their royalties or stage perpetual "reunion" tours which focus on their past. Their musicianship is unmatched in "popular" rock (though jazz/prog bands like King Crimson certainly equal or outmatch them). No other rock lyricist has the intelligence, literary knowledge, wit, and social awareness as Neil Peart. And their onstage performances nearly always eclipse their studio recordings.

I love Rush. Anyone else?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

(RUSH is my favorite band as well.)

:-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I like Rush, but I can't stand their concerts. They've made a point of trying to sound just like the albums, and I don't care for that. Expand. Stretch out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Wow.

Flashback.

In '76 or '77 I saw Rush in a small, acoustically superb theater,(Stanley, in Pittsburgh) and they did 2112 in its entirety. I was friggin' blown away!

Great band. Great.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I love Rush also (I think it is a prerequisite for living in TO), but agree with Cail. Their live shows are like listening to the album. Hardly one note out of place. Give me a Crimso show any day.
I have found that as much as I like Rush, they are very hit-and-miss with their albums. I either like it or I don't. But I love the group mentality and union and it really comes through in the albums, in interviews and on stage.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “Vespers”