Half Blood Prince, the movie!

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Orlion wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Orlion wrote: It is in that names are spelled out... guys (if they are young enough, anyway) will use initials, "S + L TLG". In that way, they can claim it has nothing to do with them, even though it clearly does( ah, the actions of the logical sex :P )
But, in that case, guys do it more permanently, like carved into a tree or in wet cement, or places where writing out the name is not really feasible anyway, right? I don't think I've ever seen it done on a personal belonging of a guy, such as a binder or book or...?
We try to keep such things secret... seems to make the feelings expressed by those initials more real if no one ever knows anything about them. Then, when we grow up and learn that men can't have feelings, such fleeting objects such as notebooks, binders, etc. are destroyed with the rest of our naive boyhood... except for the more permanent parts of the world that we have disfigured which we try to ignore :P
:(
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Menolly wrote:
Orlion wrote:
Menolly wrote: But, in that case, guys do it more permanently, like carved into a tree or in wet cement, or places where writing out the name is not really feasible anyway, right? I don't think I've ever seen it done on a personal belonging of a guy, such as a binder or book or...?
We try to keep such things secret... seems to make the feelings expressed by those initials more real if no one ever knows anything about them. Then, when we grow up and learn that men can't have feelings, such fleeting objects such as notebooks, binders, etc. are destroyed with the rest of our naive boyhood... except for the more permanent parts of the world that we have disfigured which we try to ignore :P
:(
Don't worry, that doesn't prevent us from enjoying the things in life... like Harry Potter... yeah...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:Well, regarding handwriting analysis - unless there is something especially unique about someone's handwriting, like a capital 'S' that is made to look like a fire-breathing duck every time - how many people would actually notice that two pieces of handwriting are similar? I mean, aside from the fact that they didn't know who the HBP was and were occasionally thinking about who it could be?
It is also a bit much to simply expect Harry, Ron and/or Hermione to be such experts on handwriting analysis that they'd recognize Snape's hand-writing from twenty years ago--if it even occurred to them to do so! Plus--writing in the margins of a book is very different from writing on full sheets of paper.

This is just not a problem to me.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, I just saw the movie...first of all, I normally don't see Harry Potter movies (I saw about five minutes of the first one and walked away, disgruntled), they just don't appeal to me. I saw this pretty much to hang out with friends.

That being said, it was an enjoyable movie. Snape was enjoyable (I inquired of a friend if he always stole the show, to which she replied yes), Slughorn was represented very well in my opinion (btw, I have read the books), even if I imagined him to be fatter.
Spoiler
And the end scene with Dumbledore's cold, unliving corpse was fantastic and surprisingly emotional. I say surprising because I knew what was coming, but it still made me choke up a bit. I kinda wish they had his funeral and the whole deal with the phoenix, but it's just as well. If they had included that, it might have been to much and I might have bawled in the theatre. That might have been embarrassing ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Orlion wrote:Well, I just saw the movie...first of all, I normally don't see Harry Potter movies (I saw about five minutes of the first one and walked away, disgruntled), they just don't appeal to me. I saw this pretty much to hang out with friends.

That being said, it was an enjoyable movie. Snape was enjoyable (I inquired of a friend if he always stole the show, to which she replied yes), Slughorn was represented very well in my opinion (btw, I have read the books), even if I imagined him to be fatter.
Spoiler
And the end scene with Dumbledore's cold, unliving corpse was fantastic and surprisingly emotional. I say surprising because I knew what was coming, but it still made me choke up a bit. I kinda wish they had his funeral and the whole deal with the phoenix, but it's just as well. If they had included that, it might have been to much and I might have bawled in the theatre. That might have been embarrassing ;)
Spoiler
They did pay homage to the Phoenix, showing Fawkes flying away, just not the big show in the book at funeral side.

I'm hoping, since they have 5 hours of sccreen time for the last book, that it starts with with the funeral.

What I'd like to see in Deathly Hallows Padt I and II:

1. 4 hours dedicated to the 7th book
2. 15 minutes for the funeral
3. 10 minutes dedicated to "flashbacks" to flesh out Dobby and Kreacher some more (and perhaps some Regulus explanation)
4. 15-20 minutes to bring movie watchers up to speed with Snape's character
5. 10-15 minutes better explaining the Horcruxes and the Prophecy to the audience

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”