Your Newest Cooking Gadget/Cookbook/etc.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Your Newest Cooking Gadget/Cookbook/etc.

Post by Menolly »

What's the latest kitchen/cooking acquisition at your place?
Does it live up to your expectations?
Do you think it is worth the cost you or the person who gave it to you spent?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I really didn't want to double post, but...

Over on the cooking forums on AOL, one of the boards has a Secret Santa swap going. Generally we set a limit for the gift at $10, plus shipping to the recepient.

However, the person running the swap this year included a "dream" kitchen gadget question on the information questionnaire. So I was truthful.

I love my microplane. But it is only the zester/fine grater size. Perfect for zesting citrus and grating romano and nutmeg. But I've been wanting a ribbon microplane for a while now.

A couple of days before the questionnaire arrived I was perusing the microplane website, and came upon a similar discontinued item to this, the only difference being the one I found cost $4.00 US more and had an additional smaller ribbon blade. So, although I stated I knew I wouldn't get this, as it was nearly double the cost of the swap limit, I answered with the link to the item as my dream gadget.

It arrived several days ago. I am so happy my secret santa got it for me! I was a little skeptical at first, thinking the blades would slide around, or even off, as I use it, but since you apply pressure on the side it snaps on with, no such problem occurs.

I absolutely love it! And at the price it is being offered, even with one less ribbon blade, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a, not to mention several, microplane/s.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

I have recently acquired silicone muffin pans. (I know, I am waaaaay behind the times *grin*)

While the muffins bake marvellously in the pan, the pan itself is awkward to handle as it is almost like jelly. However, the muffins fall out of the forms soooooo easily.

Worth the price? Yes. I will probably get other silicone bakeware as time goes on.

:D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

LR, do you place the pan on a baking sheet to use it? I have a Target-brand knock off Sil-Pat that I love, but it is the only silicone product I have so far.
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

*blush*

Ermmmm.......the first time I used it, no.

The second and subsequent times, yes. :)

Sometimes it takes me a while to get the swing of things. hehe.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I only know to do such because of watching them be used by others. If there were no instructions on how to use them, and I had never seen them used before, I probably would have done the same thing.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Just picked up a Kitchen Kettle at Wally World last night. I've only owned one slow-cooker before this; I used it once and then gave it away. I might get more use out of this thing, since I can also use it for steaming veggies and making rice. I might try making veggie chili in it tonight; I've got a half-bag of black beans (dried) that has been staring at me reproachfully....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I have a Pie Gate that I used for the first time this week, and love it!

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

In my quest to remove all traces of my former life, I replaced all my flatware, dishes, measuring cups, and glassware. Gotta love the 20% off Bed, Bath, & Beyond coupons!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:In my quest to remove all traces of my former life, I replaced all my flatware, dishes, measuring cups, and glassware. Gotta love the 20% off Bed, Bath, & Beyond coupons!
That sounds grand! I left my dishes and flatware with my old roommate (he had none of his own, and mine were over 6 years old). We're using my current rommate's things now, but I'm scouting out some things for when I move next summer.

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I recently picked up a charming cookbook at the used book store. It's entitled Irish Cooking, and is spiral bound with color pictures. Color me happy. . . :biggrin:

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Way cool. I love Irish fare.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Have you ever watched an infomercial and really wanted the product, but been a little skeptical? I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I received a magic bullet for Christmas this year. It does not perform as seen on TV. Now don't get me wrong, it's not a bad product, especially if you like smoothies and frozen girlie drinks. It's also great for making quick single serving soups and is so powerful that it will liquefy things before you know it. Hence the small bursts that the hucksters recommend. It is a little cumbersome when chopping vegetables- you have to shake it a bit. Cleanup is a breeze. I would recommend this product for someone who wants to make drinks, protein shakes, soups, etc. I would not recommend it for someone who wants it to chop vegetables.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Cail wrote:Way cool. I love Irish fare.
I shall have to post a ecipe or two once I've tried some. There is a recipe for soda bread that looks positively wonderful! :)

As to gadgets, I don't know if it is a gadget, but I recently got a hand-thrown garlic keeper from these lovely folks. I filled it up with one (!) head of elephant garlic. 8O

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I just bought an OXO apple corer to replace the one I lost. Now I can make more baked apples using my apple baker. :D

The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

the only, and by far the mostest bestest kitchen gadget i own. ever. 8)

shout-out to the bridgeburner! :D
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

We just got a nice T-Fal stove-top nonstick wok. It works pretty well even though we have an electric smooth-top stove, and the nonstick means we can get away with a lot less oil.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Heh, I burned up my nonstick Wok and replaced it with a real one.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Yeah, we might eventually go for an iron wok, but there is no sense in doing so until after we've upgraded the stove to one that can get hotter.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Cail wrote:Way cool. I love Irish fare.

It's tough to ruin potatoes and meat.
:lol:

Wait......no it's not.

I got my requested crock pot for Christmas.
Meat cooked in a slow cooker just melts in the mouth, yum.

Beef Stew is next.
Then maybe I'll experiment with spaghetti sauce.
Unfortunately I "lost" the recipes I wanted to try with it though.

Also some airbake(?) cookie sheets that have worked out pretty well.

I miss my Pizza Stone.
It broke years ago.
Someday I'll get a new one, but I'm cheap.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “The Galley”