Three Fantasies

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Bannor
Giantfriend

Three Fantasies

Post by Bannor »

I have 3 fantasy books in my library that I don't see discussed much at all. Has anyone read:
The Dragon and the George by Gordon Dickson
Quest for the Faradawn by Richard Ford
The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown? :?:
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Hail Bannor

Post by Prince of Amber »

I'm sure I've read The Dragon and the George - the name is ringing alot of bells, but memory is selective and I can remember nothing of the story. The other two I know I haven't read, I assume they must be good or I doubt you would have mentioned them - I'll stick them on my 'to read' list.

Seem to have lost my Avatar. 8O
Bannor
Giantfriend

Thanks

Post by Bannor »

Thanks for the trust. Actually, they may be hard to find. I don't remember seeing them anywhere for years, but they are quite good, all 3 of them. If you like animals that talk and great characters, you'll like all three of these. Actually, I just got off EBAY, and all three are available at very inexpensive prices, though The Unlikely Ones ends in about one hour. I am amazed to see them available.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

The Dragon and ...,

Post by Prince of Amber »

Once I'd discovered that the story was about a talking dragon - it all came flooding back, I can remember really enjoying it. Have you (or anyone else) read the others in the series The Dragon and the Djinn etc., I wonder if they are worth tracking down.
Bannor
Giantfriend

A series?

Post by Bannor »

A series of the books? Not only have I not read them, I didn't know there was a series! That's something I'll have to check into! :) (Thanks, Prince)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Bannor
Giantfriend

A series?

Post by Bannor »

A series of the books? Not only have I not read them, I didn't know there was a series! That's something I'll have to check into! :) (Thanks, Prince)
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I have read The Dragon and the George. I didn't like it. It was supposed to be humorous and a little exciting but somehow for me it wasn't. Either of them. I seem to have a problem with Gordon Dickson's style as I haven't liked anything else by him I have tried.

The folks on the Internet I have met have said that the rest of the series are not as good as The Dragon and the George and they would only really recommend the first one. (While I wouldn't recommend any of them... - tastes differ.)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've read the Unlikely Ones and really enjoyed it. It was very unusual and fun. That author also has written a trilogy called "The Unexpected Dragon" which is supposed to be good. It's third down in the stack on my desk, under Gaimon's Coraline and the Assassin's Apprectice trilogy by Hobb. When I get down to it, I'll let you guys know how it was!
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Although I have not read The Unlikely Ones I would move it up ahead of the Assassin's Apprentice triology. I have read those books and I did not like them. The first two were okay, but then it just went bad. I cannot exactly remember what I did not like now, but I remember being disappointed.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've been wanting to read the Hobb because a lot of people have told me how good it is, maybe now I'll read the Mary Brown first. The other book I read of hers had a baby goldfish as one of the heroes. It was a fun book!
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”