The Hobbit

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Rocksister
Giantfriend

The Hobbit

Post by Rocksister »

Too many topics to search if someone else already submitted. PJ is doing the movie! Hooray! It will be 2010 at least, but now I have something to look forward to after I read AATE!!! Or before, depending on book publishing/movie release dates. Love the LOTR movies, can't wait. Ian McKellan pretty much def gonna be in it. Yahoo home page story today...... :D
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Wikipedia wrote:In September, New Line was fined $125,000 for failing to provide requested accounting documents.[65] On December 18, it was announced that Jackson would be executive producer of The Hobbit and its sequel. Back-to-back shooting on these films will begin in 2009, and each film will be released in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
The Hobbit and it's sequel?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

First,

:nanaparty: :nanaparty: :nanaparty:

Second, link link

Third,

The sequel will encompass the events between the Hobbit and LOTR. Presumably, it will involve Aragorn and Gollum, maybe Legolas and Gimli or Gloin, and assuredly Gandalf.

My hunch is that the plot will center around Gandalf's sneaking into Dol Gulder, with some heretofore unsuspected companions, and discovering Sauron's presence.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Wait a sec...he's producing, not directing. Are the writing team for LOTR reuniting to write the screenplay for these two things? I'm a little confused. It says that a director will be chosen later.

Still, it's good that some creative control on his side will be there. I just hope it all comes to him going through it all again.

Funny, Entertainment Weekly said it has been a hard year for New Line, and they could use a big hit....like perhaps the Hobbit.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm sure that at this stage it's too early to see a lock on who's directing or who's starring or who's writing. (There's a writer's strike ongoing as well.) What we have now is merely a production deal, which is entirely about finances. And a compromise on how to share those finances with MGM, who had some of the distribution rights. And a resolution of the financial situation between Jackson and New Line. All of which are stupendously significant.

Based on the fact that the date is far enough out, I can see Jackson and Walsh and Boyens participating. There will be other directors, other writers, sure, but they'll be helming as well. The good will they've earned will be thrown away if they decide to go "executive producer".
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

The Hobbit

Post by SoulBiter »

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22312421/

A director for the films has yet to be named. Production is tentatively set to begin in 2009 with a release planned for 2010, and the sequel following in 2011.

Two “Hobbit” films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three “Lord of the Rings” films were made all at once. Shaye and Sloan both said it was Jackson’s idea to divide the story, adapted from Tolkien’s first book about Middle Earth (which was about half the length of any from the trilogy that followed).
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

Samuel L. Jackson should play Gandalf this time.

I'd wait in line for that...
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I may have spoke too soon.
MGM Chairman Harry Sloan, who was credited by all parties for bringing about the deal, said Jackson found it “impossible” to direct the films and meet proposed release dates in 2010 and 2011 due to other projects in the works.

“He can’t get it scheduled and he doesn’t want the fans to have to wait for the next two movies,” Sloan said. He said the studios might postpone the films if Jackson changed his mind. [link]
Then again, there have been many twists and turns in this drama, so I wouldn't let the fat lady out to sing yet.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I worry about the ages of some of the significant potential actors... Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Wayfriend wrote:I worry about the ages of some of the significant potential actors... Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen.
How about the wrinkled old geez-bag who played Bilbo? I really hope they get someone younger for the role.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Should this be moved to the Flicks forum? It seems it would fit better there.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Done. Might want to merge it with the existing topic, though.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I can't fnd the link now ... but I heard that New Line and Peter Jackson have finally settles old LotR monies and now Jackson has been signed to direct the HObbit....
Can anyone confirm this?....
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Great - another Tolkien book Peter Jackson can see thoroughly shafted artistically! :P
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Usivius wrote:I can't fnd the link now ... but I heard that New Line and Peter Jackson have finally settles old LotR monies and now Jackson has been signed to direct the HObbit....
Can anyone confirm this?....
He's unavailable to direct, but will executive produce. He doesn't want the films to be delayed while he finishes other projects.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Darn. Darn that Jackson did not find a way.
TheOneRing.net wrote:Barring any earth-shattering or unforeseen changes Guillermo del Toro will direct “The Hobbit.” However, the contracts are not signed and the deal is not final according to a source close to the film.

In a conversation with TheOneRing.net, the source called it a 99% probability that del Toro would be helming the double picture but in Hollywood nothing is final until it is final. The official announcement, which - New Line Cinema will be eager to make when all the t’s are crossed and the i’s are dotted - will come after the writer’s strike is settled. [link]
On the plus side, according to an informan TheOneRing.net poll held earlier in the year, del Toro came in second as the best alternative director to Jackson. (Fran Walsh won. I voted for Sean Astin.)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

But Jackson is still producing, right?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Correct, barring anything changing.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

wow, that's amazing.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The less a Tolkien-based project has to do with Jackson, the higher its chances of being a quality product.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Return to “Flicks”