Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 11 Quidditch

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 11 Quidditch

Post by A Gunslinger »

Mod edit: spoilered paragraphs that feature information known only from Deathly Hallows.

Chapter 11

The Quidditch season begins, and Harry is about to play in his first match against Slytherin. This match can be seen as a metaphor for Harry's future relationship between Malfoy and himslef, and Snape and himself. Moreover, I am of the opinion that the golden snitch is a literary symbol, not just a simple, but magical bauble.

Anyway, to prepare for the match, Harry borrows a book entitled Quidditch Through the Ages from Hermione. Professor Snape discovers Ron, Harry, and Hermione out with the book one evening and confiscates it from Harry on the feeble pretext that library books may not be taken outside. This is important.

Harry feels that Snape is unduly attempting to limit his success, and he is of course right. As we all know, Snape sees Harry as a reminder not only of Lilly, but of James Potter whom he despised and was jealous of. Re: Quidditch: James=Harry. As such, Harry’s suspicions of Snape continue to grow.

The next morning, the Quidditch match begins. He spots the snitch and is flying toward it when the Slytherin Seeker pushes him out of the way and is penalized. Later in the game, Harry’s broom begins moving uncontrollably. Hagrid comments that only dark magic could make a broomstick so hard to manage.
Spoiler
Hermione notices that Snape is staring at Harry and muttering to himself. Of course, as the author intends, we all are led to believe that Snape is responsible, when in fact, he is protecting not only the offspring of his love, Lilly, but also preserving the one weapon that will serve to destroy the thing that killed her (LV).

As the Weasley twins try to rescue their teammate Harry, Hermione rushes over to Snape, sneaks behind him, and sets his robe on fire. Suddenly, the spell on Harry’s broo is broken and Harry is once again in control. He starts speeding toward the ground and lands, catching the Snitch. But what really has Harry done here?

Harry has not only caught the snitch and won the game for Gryffindor (at the expense of Malfoy and Slytherin), he has, by catching the (snitch) brass ring so to speak, set himself on a path as the leader of ALL of Gryfindor, and begun to publically build a reputation based on FACT, rather than past, whispered events. He has started to build his own legend in a present tense for all to witness.
Spoiler
As such, the Snitch is not just a bauble, but a symbol of Harry's ascension from the world of Muggles to his rightful place in the Wizarding world, and as the heir to his Father's legacy (the foil of Slytherin)!
Hagrid takes Harry back to his hut with Hermione and Ron, who tells Harry that Snape was putting a curse on his broomstick. Hagrid does not believe this charge, asking why Snape would try to kill Harry. Again, we are being led to believe that Snape is up to no good.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Nice one Guns. But at this point the future isn't set is it?

I liked the metaphor of the Snitch being the brass ring for Harry's rise above the world of us Muggles. Very nice observation/insight.
A Gunslinger wrote:Hagrid takes Harry back to his hut with Hermione and Ron, who tells Harry that Snape was putting a curse on his broomstick. Hagrid does not believe this charge, asking why Snape would try to kill Harry. Again, we are being led to believe that Snape is up to no good.
All evidence against Snape is circumstantial at this point so there's no proving anything about the man and his intentions. Not yet anyway. Time remains for the story to unfold.
It's funny though how the adults in this (new) world of Harry's tends to mirror the adults in the Muggle world. A person of respectable position such as a teacher in a prestigious school being charged with attempting to hurt a student, despite the fact that it's well known that the particular house the teacher is head of has been known to produce mainly dark wizards. But still, like the Dursleys, children apparently in the Wizarding world should be seen and not heard. They just haven't learned enough yet.

Good job.
Last edited by Seafoam Understone on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well done Guns!!

I have not heard from birdandbear, although I sent her a reminder PM a week and a half ago. In order for us to have time to discuss Guns dissection, I'm going to move chapter 12's due date to the following Sunday, 12/30. I may hear from birdy over the holidays, but if not, is someone willing to step in as a possible back-up dissector?

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”