I keep trying.

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Stonemaybe wrote:
drew wrote:
aliantha wrote: I keep thinking I'm getting a handle on it, and then Erikson switches *continents*.
Yeah, one thing I found very little use for was the Map. After a while I just pretended it was once of those Fantasy books that don't have a map.
The map does confuse GoTM! I remember spending ages looking for places, then realising later in the series that the place I was looking for is on a different continent. :roll:
The bloody useless map is one of the first things I complained about after reading GotM the first time. Come to find out, Erikson drew it himself, and *likes* it. (I forget who told me that. Probably Murrin. :lol: )

Dukkha and drew, honest to God, stick with it for 100 pages. If you're not hooked at that point, *then* give up. But it took me that long to start to get a handle on what was going on -- and after that, I couldn't put it down.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'll find out in a few days if they are my cup of tea. Lucimay was saying how great they are so I got em in my pile of "to be read" books. I am just finishing another series, prolly tonight so GoTM will probably hit my brain tomorrow night.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

It took me a couple of starts and stops before I got through with GoTM, now I've had one start and stop on Deadhouse Gates. I guess it just takes me time to get through. ;)
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

aliantha wrote: Dukkha and drew, honest to God, stick with it for 100 pages. If you're not hooked at that point, *then* give up.
Nooooo! Whatever happens DO NOT give up!! I can't make it any more simple for you people...the first book does not compare to rest of the series. If you went to a resteraunt and you were told that you had to eat tinned meat for your starter course BUT on completion you'd be served one of the greatest meals of your life YOU'D EAT THE BLOODY TINNED MEAT!

I struggled with the first one, thought it was a bit weird and superficial but you get your reward in the end. I promise. :) :) :)
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I'm more than 100 pages in anyways...I'm already in Darghusutrkian...I'm just taking a little break...But I'l get back into it...probebly next week.

Note to Lucimay...If I do ever finish it, will yousend me book two...or are you going to force me to buy my OWN books?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Hey, what kind of tabs you on man, cos I aint never heard of...
drew wrote:Darghusutrkian...
How would you even pronounce that?

:lol:

:wink:

:P
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

drew wrote:I'm more than 100 pages in anyways...I'm already in Darghusutrkian...I'm just taking a little break...But I'l get back into it...probebly next week.

Note to Lucimay...If I do ever finish it, will yousend me book two...or are you going to force me to buy my OWN books?
easier for you to get than me...he's canadian dude! :P

but i would of course! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I bought em all already based on Lucimay's recommendation so once I power through em I can mail em to you Drew. That sound ok?

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I bought em all already based on Lucimay's recommendation so once I power through em I can mail em to you Drew. That sound ok?
Those are big and heavy books! Might be cheaper to save the postage and send a cheque! :)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

They are paperbacks so it's not that big of a deal. If I power through them I could send em all in one shipment. :biggrin:

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I bought em all already based on Lucimay's recommendation so once I power through em I can mail em to you Drew. That sound ok?
Holy Crap! You just went out and bought all of them? 8O That's a major commitment, like agreeing to get married before you go out on a blind date. I hope that you like them (I do, but I wasn't really enamored after GotM).
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i don't think she got all of them. did you get bonehunters and reaper's gale jenn?
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I got all of them that were available in paperback. However, at this moment they are at home and I am at work so I can't go look at all the titles.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I got all of them that were available in paperback. However, at this moment they are at home and I am at work so I can't go look at all the titles.
If you got 7 books, then you've got 'em all.

And btw, good luck with that "powering through 'em" project. I'm a fast reader, but Erikson takes a long time for me to get through.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

aliantha wrote:
Cameraman Jenn wrote:I got all of them that were available in paperback. However, at this moment they are at home and I am at work so I can't go look at all the titles.
If you got 7 books, then you've got 'em all.

And btw, good luck with that "powering through 'em" project. I'm a fast reader, but Erikson takes a long time for me to get through.
I think she said she read like 150 pages an hour. So she should get through those 7 books in about 6 months.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I think I got seven books. They were having an anniversary super sale at my favorite fantasy bookstore. I got the whole gunslinger series and the memory sorrow and thorn series too that same day.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

drew wrote:Note to Lucimay...If I do ever finish it, will yousend me book two...or are you going to force me to buy my OWN books?
I'll be more than pleased to get in on this. If Luci wants a rest, I'll mail you Deadhouse Gates when you need it.

As I've said before, I didn't have nearly the problem with GotM as most seem to. I enjoyed it quite a bit, right from the beginning. My second reading of it was as easy as the first. Again, I feel the need to re-read 1-4 before going on. Alas, I haven't had nearly as much time to read MoI, so I've been stuck on page 208 for more than a week. Hey, it's the holiday season, eh? Heh.

Which is very unfortunate, because MoI was my favorite of 1-4. A large part of that is a certain T'lan Imass, who is possibly my favorite character of all time of all literature. But there's also some other extraordinary things happening in it.

However!! I think I consider DG to be a better book? It is superbly written! It feels like a more cohesive story, although I don't know why. MoI does not have more storylines going on, and Capustan (from MoI) is as good as anything else. Still, nothing in the world compares to DG's Chain of Dogs!!!! Mother of God, it is something not to be missed by anyone who reads English!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm up to page 75 and I am a bit confused on some parts but I figure they will tell themselves out soon enough.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I was just joking...I'm sure the library has a copy or two.

But thanks everyone for the kind offers.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And yet it is a joy to share things we love, so let us know if the library falls through. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”