aliantha reviews Anthology III

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

aliantha reviews Anthology III

Post by aliantha »

"Becoming Elijah" and "Fever Dreams" -- When I was getting ready to buy the anthology, I fell for the "look inside!" feature. I read Dragonlily's note, and then got sucked into the first page of the first story. What sucked me in? The first line, of course: "I dimly recall being eaten by the bat." But then I forced myself to stop, because I *knew* the "look inside!" would stop before the end of the story and I would just go crazy, waiting for the book to arrive, to find out what happened. :) When I finally got to finish the story, it did not disappoint. It pulled me along, even as I tried to figure out what was going on, and the ending was satisfying. iQ goes on to show his versatility with "Fever Dreams"; I'm easy to impress with poetry because I can't do rhyme without it sounding singsongy to me, but he's done a fine job here.

"What We Leave Behind" -- I'll leave this one for someone else to review, since I'm biased. :)

"The Office Dragon" and "Travelling" -- Let me just say that it's unfair for one person to be so talented at so many things. :lol: "The Office Dragon" was light and full of whimsy -- very cute! "Travelling" might be my favorite story in this volume. Who hasn't wondered what it would feel like to go through a Star Trek-like transporter? Edge gives us one answer. And he also gives us outstanding cover art. Well done!

"The Tale of the Pipe" -- An entertaining tale of what happens when the gods battle over an apparently useless kind of plant.

"Witness" -- Worse things can happen in the space program than a shuttle blowing up on liftoff; aTOMic envisions it for us. Nice job.
Spoiler
I didn't even think about "he's dead, how is he writing this down for posterity?" 'til well after I finished the story.

"The Unwanted" -- This story hangs on a premise that seems somewhat unlikely to me. But drew operates smoothly within the world he has created. I especially like his shifting definition of wanted and unwanted children, and I found the ending believable.

"The Visit" -- Good job from a young writer. Keep writing!

"The Seed" -- I demur again due to bias. :)

"Heaven's Center" -- Lord Foul has done a great job imagining the way the world will look, and the way people will behave, after we blow ourselves up. The ending took me quite a bit by surprise.
Spoiler
I need to reread it; I must have missed some clues that Mac was a killer.
Av's poem -- This was placed perfectly, right after LF's story. I liked it very much: damaged as we are, we go on anyway.

Good stuff, all! Now: discuss. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

What did you think about the second anthology?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I've read Becoming Elijah, and I must say it has an exhilarating opening. I won't spoil what happens, but it's pretty mind-bending and just damn imaginative, for lack of a better word. I'm going to run out of complementary adjectives if iQuestor keeps turning out such great stuff. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Anthology, so the rest of it will have to wait.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I have my copy but I am in Florida vacationing so I havent had a chance to read much. Thanks ali and LF for your comments on Becoming Elijah and Fever Dreams.

I will post reviews on the other submissions for KWAIII when I get back and get to read it. I of course read heaven's Center from LF and it stayed with me for days -- very engrossing and very well written. I am astounded WOTF didnt see it for what it was worth, truly astounded. Very highly recomended.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Loremaster wrote:What did you think about the second anthology?
I thought I posted some general comments around here somewhere. <rummages through the Watch> I will have to go back and reread it, and post more specific comments on each story/poem. (Btw, Lore, it was your Anthology II critique thread that inspired me to do one for Anthology III.)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have to finish the second anthology, starting with Drew's story.

I feel very bad.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I was on the submission team, so I'm not sure if I can mention my favorite 3 stories of Anthology 3. Ahh, what the hell!

Office Dragon
Tale Of The Pipe
The Seed
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I still haven't purchased any of the Anthologies so I'm not obliged to offer an opinion on any of the stories that have been offered. I did read a few of the first Anthology during the selection process.
If pressed to reveal my favorite story it would have to be the one that featured the line "Did you know that the Southerland Castle was a space ship?" Can't remember the title of that one.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yeah, that story got canned immediately!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dANdeLION wrote:Yeah, that story got canned immediately!
Aw crap!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

This seemed like a reasonable place to post a quick review. If there's a better thread for it, please feel free to direct me there.

I read the anthology over the past couple of days, and, for what's it's worth, here's my 2 cents. I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but I have to say I'm very, very impressed with how good the anthology was. All of the contributers are really very good writers. I'm someone, who, on most days, feels happy if my command of the english language is sufficient for me to communicate effectively, and you have all shown yourselves to be capable of producing actual art with it. Very, very nice.

A couple specific pieces stood out for me (though all were very good):

iQuestor already knows what I think of "Fever Dreams", but "Becoming Elijah" I liked even better. Very strong opening. I thought the mystery of what was actually happening was very well done - confusing, but enough hints there to keep me engrossed. And by the time our main character
Spoiler
meets the faceless man in the dream
I was totally invested. BTW, that was an exceptionally strong visual image for me.

"What We Leave Behind" - I felt had the strongest opening line of the bunch (and that's saying something). I also really liked the shift in the narrator's tone as the story progressed. Well done.

"The Seed" - I felt did an excellent job of increasing tension as the piece progressed. Very nice also.

And "The Unwanted" - Drew, you actually made me cry. Very, very nice.

Again, I gotta say, I liked everything, but those were the standouts for me. I am very impressed with the talent here on the Watch. (I just may have to pick up the other anthologies.... :) )
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Thanks aliantha, and dAN as well, for the kind words :D
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You're very welcome, Edge. :) And thanks, dAN!

EZ Board Survivor

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Thanks, Mortice! -- as usual. We all appreciate you reading our stuff.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

BECOMING ELIJAH is being entered into the WSFA Small Press Award.

And thank you, Mortice. I glow at compliments to our Anthology.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Dragonlily wrote:BECOMING ELIJAH is being entered into the WSFA Small Press Award.
Oh wow.

Good luck iQ!
This would be for next years awards, yes?
Perhaps we'll see Becoming Elijah on one of Murrins awards lists he posts in General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion next year.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

These awards are presented in October.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

WOW> I just saw this. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Best of luck. :yeehaa:

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”