French to English translation - Turpide Rogue's Bane

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

French to English translation - Turpide Rogue's Bane

Post by kevinswatch »

I was looking up different book cover versions on amazon for the gallery, and came across some stuff that made me el oh el.

www.amazon.fr/Chroniques-Thomas-Covenan ... 934&sr=8-3
Enfin réédité dans son intégralité et dans une nouvelle traduction, l'un des plus grands chefs-d'œuvre de la Fantasy. Peu après son retour dans le monde " réel ", l'écrivain lépreux Thomas Covenant est de nouveau projeté dans le Fief, cette contrée à la fois familière et insolite, où le temps ne s'écoule pas de la même façon. Quarante ans ont passé depuis sa dernière visite, et c'est Elena, la fille de Léna, qui gouverne désormais le royaume. Un royaume menacé par Turpide le Rogue qui appelle les kresh, les ur-vils, les griffons, les lémures et autres créatures démoniaques à se rassembler pour constituer une armée. Désespérée, Elena supplie Covenant, le porteur d'or blanc, de les aider. Il devra compter avec Hile Troy, un aveugle de naissance, qui vient, lui aussi, du monde " réel ". Ces deux personnages que tout oppose réussiront-ils à repousser les hordes maléfiques ? La destinée de tout un peuple dépend de leurs choix.
Translates to:
Finally republished in its entirety and a new translation, one of largest chief-of?uvre of Fantasy. Little after its return in the "real" world, the leprous writer Thomas Covenant is again projected in the Stronghold, this region at the same time familiar and strange, where time does not pass in the same way. Forty years passed since its last visit, and it is Elena, the girl of Léna, which controls from now on the kingdom. A kingdom threatened by Turpide Rogue which calls the kresh, thecheap ones, let us scratch them, the démoniaques lémures and other creatures to gather to constitute an army. Despaired, Elena begs Covenant, the carrier of white gold, to help them. It will have to take into account Hile Troy, a blind man of birth, which comes, him also, of the "real" world. Will these two characters that all opposes succeed in pushing back the malefic hordes? The destiny of a whole people depends on their choices.
(From babelfish.altavista.com/)

If you're really bored, try it for some of the other books.

Although I'd like to learn more about this "Turpide Rogue".-jay
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

The Cheap Ones? The ur-viles are the Cheap Ones? :haha: :haha:

Or are they the Demonic Lemurs? Wait, that must the Demondim! :haha: :haha:

Jay, you made me do it. Presenting the Third Tome:
Finally republished in its entirety and a new translation, one of largest chief-of?uvre of the Fantasy literature. The ringing of the telephone tears off Thomas Covenant with his sleep, abruptly making him become aware of its return in the real world. This hostile world which wants to get rid of him. Indeed, nobody wishes the presence of leprous in his entourage. Despaired, Thomas flees in the forest, where it hears strident howls: those of a young girl that a serious danger threatens. He precipitates to come to him to assistance, but at the same moment he feels "called" by the Stronghold. Covenant tries, in vain, to resist the conspiracy, and is found in spite of him projected in. the Kingdom. Over there, it is chaos. The citadel is besieged by the malefic hordes of Turpide Rogue. The lords fight with the eagerness of despair. The exit seems fatal. Only the white gold that the leprous one holds will be able to save the Kingdom. But Thomas is still unaware of how to make use of it.
The Lords fight with the eagerness of despair! :haha: :haha: :haha:
Last edited by matrixman on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I guess Rogue is know to most English speaking people.(mainly in this case as unprincipled, deceitful person or being.) But Turpide may be the French variant of word turpid which derives from the Latin turpis.

That can be defined as :

Foul; base(ness); wicked.

Only a French English speaking member or poster can truely define what is meant.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

"...the kresh, the cheap ones, let us scratch them"? 8O :haha:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm impressed that it could manage to translate "les griffons" into that, really. I mean, it's quite clearly "the [noun]". How could it ever mess that one up?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Stronghold?

Why didn't the translator just use the word Revelstone?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's translating "Fief", which is used for "Land", as "Stronghold". Fief is actually the domain of a feudal lord, so either translation is probably alright if you're looking at just the word alone.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Oh.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Translation is an artform that few people are competent to practice, let alone altavista. :P
B&
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I thought the deliberate incompetency of the Babelfish translator was the point. :P

This is THE funniest TC-related thing in a long time.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Take VCR instructions, translate from english to french, french to german, german to spanish, spanish to english. Hilarity ensues.

Here's the first synopsis paragraph from the Wikipedia article for LFB translated around a few times.

The obligation of Thomas is a good young person, - vende to the author with a spouse (obligation of Joan) and screws kindisch (obligation of Roger), that world is given return to the posteriora part, will have been diagnosised with the leprosy. If it unloads of léproserie, it is divorced, only and banishing in its city of the birth. In rare trip in the city of a beggar to the language, that some hidden explanations give, the leves had brought the obligation with remontrance "are truth". Confused and for this meeting, obligation joined on stolpert in the way of a vehicle to the similar engine. The effect, or even so evidently slightly available does not push without knowledge.
B&
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hehe...I'm still laughing over "The Cheap Ones."

-jay
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

That sure makes me want to read it. :P

"Are truth, obligatory Thomas."
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

kevinswatch wrote:Hehe...I'm still laughing over "The Cheap Ones."

-jay
They must wear disco polyester suits and wield a fragment of the Travolta Stone. :biggrin:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Matrixman wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:Hehe...I'm still laughing over "The Cheap Ones."

-jay
They must wear disco polyester suits and wield a fragment of the Travolta Stone. :biggrin:
When's the next Elohimfest? I have an idea for a project.

Saturday Night Fever + TCTC.
B&
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

LMAO!

John Travolta stars in: Disco Revenant! :D

"Stayin' alive, stayin' alive, ha-ha-ha-ha, stayin' alive..."

Sorry, EL, did I spoil your project? I'll keep quiet. :wink:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Matrixman wrote:LMAO!

John Travolta stars in: Disco Revenant! :D

"Stayin' alive, stayin' alive, ha-ha-ha-ha, stayin' alive..."

Sorry, EL, did I spoil your project? I'll keep quiet. :wink:
No, no, seriously. Imagine this: A reimaging of the story of TCTC. Instead of Leprosy, he ain't got the funk. The Land? An enormous Discotek.
B&
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

"Play that funky music, Waynhim..."? :roll:

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:"Play that funky music, Waynhim..."? :roll:

dw
Yes, that could be the song for the Dukkha scene!

Play that funky music Waynhim!
B&
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Relayer wrote:That sure makes me want to read it. :P

"Are truth, obligatory Thomas."
:haha:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”