Toll the Hounds; Book 8, June 08 (Prologue online!)

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Good one, ali. :D I guess I hadn't made it very clear, eh?

Murrin wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:Traveller. (I'm a bit confused about him, though. I thought Dassem was the one with the undetachable swords on his arms in MoI who was guarding the Mhybe's body.)
That was Baudin.
That certainly makes more sense, timing-wise. But, although I don't remember exactly what he said, I seem to remember he was going on about having lost his daughter. (Gotta look it up later.) Baudin might possibly have been talking about Felisin, metaphorically. But it's certainly something Dassem would say.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

He talked about failnig to protect a girl, yeah. He was also hairless and had bronze skin, like everyone else who was on the Silanda for that trip. Oh, and Dassem had quit that job long before the series started and hadn't been seen by anyone for years, and Hood is the last person who'd have wanted him around at that point. :P
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

You are, as always, a marvel. :D Thanks. The story I had concocted in my head to explain it was a little strange, to be sure. :lol: And I completely forgot about the Mhybe's guardian's skin being bronze.

So my question now is - Why is Hood interested in doing this for the Mhybe?

Oh! Also. Zephyr asked me to ask you to ask Bel to get his ass out of Shaldir. Seems his faith in Bel's good intentions is somewhat lacking.

:biggrin:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I'm not reading spoilers. I'm not reading spoilers. I'm not reading spoilers. I'm not reading spoilers.

Anyway, although I'm not finished with the book yet (about halfway through) I just wanted to pop in here and say that the Darujistan chapters alone have solidified this as my favorite book. I miss Fiddler, and have given up hope of seeing him in this one (wouldn't mind a spoiler telling me otherwise!!) but damn. The way that the Darujistan chapters are written... they invoke feelings in me that books haven't done before, I think. it's amazing.

So... back to reading...
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

:D Yup, being back in Darujhistan is awesome! :D
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm almost done with Toll the Hounds, and I still don't know what "tolling" a hound means. Does someone have the balls to charge them money to use a road? Or are they going to be swung from a belfrey and whacked with a clapper?

Ask not for whom the hound tolls, it tolls for thee ?
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

its in there somewhere. i remember seeing it and thinking "oh"
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky