Toll the Hounds; Book 8, June 08 (Prologue online!)

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Toll the Hounds; Book 8, June 08 (Prologue online!)

Post by I'm Murrin »

About time for a new book info thread.
There is a saying in Darujhistan, the city of blue fire, that love and death shall arrive together, dancing...It is summer and the heat is oppressive. However the discomfiture of the small round man in the faded red waistcoat is not entirely due to the sun. Dire portents both plague his nights and haunt the city's streets like fiends of shadow. Assassins still skulk in alleyways, but the hunters have become the hunted. Hidden hands pluck the strings of tyranny like a fell chorus, and strangers have arrived. While the bards sing their tragic tales somewhere in the distance can be heard the baying of Hounds. All is palpably not well. And in Black Coral, where Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness rules, memories of ancient crimes are stirring, intent on revenge. Could it be that Love and Death are indeed about to arrive...hand in hand, and dancing? This new chapter in Erikson's monumental series is epic fantasy at its most imaginative and storytelling at its most exciting.

From an interview with Jeff VanderMeer on the Amazon Book blog:
I've just finished Toll the Hounds, which is the eighth novel in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. At the moment I am working on a co-written novella with Ian C. Esslemont set in the same world, and I confess I've started the prologue to the ninth in the series. As for Toll the Hounds, I guess I can say I'm pleased with the result; that's a statement that needs qualification, however. The novel is about love and grief, and integral to that exploration was my fair share of both this past year, as my father fell ill and in the course of four months withered away and died. There is something mercenary in writers, something that others might view with faint disgust, and that is the terrible desire to feed off one's own circumstances, using genuine emotions (including suffering) to infuse a fictional tale that is, at its core, meaningless. I don't mean that as a disparagement of fiction; as writers we play a game of illusion, pretending to a reality that does not exist, and if we can, we use that false reality to generate real emotion. And that's what can make a normal person understandably uneasy, as the writer guides that person into a very personal world; as, in this instance, I happen to be inviting him or her to share in my grief. Does all this stem from an overblown ego? I'm not sure; I feel pretty humble these days. At the same time there is an undeniable ego to the presumption of being writers: that we actually possess something worth saying, not to mention the conceit that words possess real efficacy (but those are topics for some other time). All that makes the novel sound like a downer, but while there are tragic elements to the tale, there are plenty of lighter ones, too. It's more like a wake. You get laughs, you get tears, and maybe when it's all said and done, you walk away thoughtful, standing in the afternoon light, saying goodbye to someone who is no longer there. As I did.

With each of these novels I work at finding something that sets it apart from the ones that came before, while remaining true to the spirit of the series. In the case of Toll the Hounds, that uniqueness was found in the narrative voice coming directly from a character that readers should know well by now. The risk is that those readers happen to be fairly split on whether they like the bloke or hate him, with equal amounts of passion. To those who happen to hate him, sorry for this, but: tough luck. It is what it is. As the eighth in a ten volume series, some pretty huge events occur by the book's end. According to my advance readers, there will be surprises--things no-one can anticipate (despite all my foreshadowing, which has been going on for seven books now), and for me that remains a measure of success. As to how the novel is received by the majority of my readers, that remains to be seen.

Edit 29 Feb: The prologue of the book is now up on MalazanEmpire.com. Read it here.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

ruh ro :(

speculations murrin???
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

ruh ro?

I'm short on speculation here. Crokus will probably be in it, Iskaral Pust and Kruppe will meet, and we can assume Anomander's troubles in the synopsis come in the form of Clip and Nimander Golit. The question is, will Paran and his army show up? Will Karsa and his army?
Hard to predict what will happen when Erikson switches continents.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

In the case of Toll the Hounds, that uniqueness was found in the narrative voice coming directly from a character that readers should know well by now. The risk is that those readers happen to be fairly split on whether they like the bloke or hate him, with equal amounts of passion. To those who happen to hate him, sorry for this, but: tough luck.
this is what i was ruh ro-ing about.

who do you think he's referring to?
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think it might be Kruppe. The synopsis seems to be from his PoV.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

fine. i can live with that. but he better not kill Fiddler!! :evil:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Agreed, and agreed.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

A book told from Kruppe's POV? Good God, that's going to be awesome!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That's awesome. Thanks, Murrin!

Wow, just five months to go before Toll the Hounds is out -- I'd better get back to my re-read of the first 7 books so I'm up to speed. If I start now, I just might make it.... :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Interesting, set in Genabackis again. I was actually expecting a move over to...
Spoiler
That place that all the Imass are dying in.
EDIT-By the way I'm not complaining :)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

MORE KRUPPE! MORE KRUPPE! MORE KRUPPE!

:biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Wow, US cover art rocks the british art... Now i have to decide whether I want the book earlier or w/ better art...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Say what? The US cover art looks like a clip cut from the CGI of a bad, under-funded RPG. For the PS1.

That axe is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen, and I've seen a lot of bad rennie pieces. Then there's what should be a pillar (like a telamon) on the left, except it doesn't (couldn't) support anything, so it's more like some kind of memorial. Except it's right in front of a door. And it's cheesy.

Heck, even the way the artist signs his name is cheesy (unless it's actually the logo for a graphic arts company).

Oh, and then there's the artist's (and I use that term loosely) attempt to heighten the impact by having the wolf growl at him. We'd all be better off if it had jumped off the page and eaten him.[/rant]
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Syl wrote:Say what? The US cover art looks like a clip cut from the CGI of a bad, under-funded RPG. For the PS1.

That axe is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen, and I've seen a lot of bad rennie pieces. Then there's what should be a pillar (like a telamon) on the left, except it doesn't (couldn't) support anything, so it's more like some kind of memorial. Except it's right in front of a door. And it's cheesy.

Heck, even the way the artist signs his name is cheesy (unless it's actually the logo for a graphic arts company).

Oh, and then there's the artist's (and I use that term loosely) attempt to heighten the impact by having the wolf growl at him. We'd all be better off if it had jumped off the page and eaten him.[/rant]
Ok, but have you seen the Reaper's Gale cover art for Britain? TOO BORING. I dislike the change which has resulted in them drawing just one subject for the covers. TOO BORING.

Though I grant you it's better than the Terry Pratchett US covers, which are so repetitive in design they make him seem like some sorta RL Stein type or something.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Plain is good. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This is the same artist who has done all the US covers since MoI, by the way. I don't like the figure with the axe, myself, but the rest is okay. Not really any worse that his other covers for the series.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Toll the Hounds Prologue!!!

Post by Holsety »

The prologue of toll the hounds!

www.malazanempire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9621

I don't want to post it directly on here, b/c the user says SE gave him permission to post it on the malazan forums and I don't wanna possibly do osmehting SE wouldn't want.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ah, I've been waiting for Hetan to post that for ages. Thanks.

Edit: Read it. It follows the pattern of the series so far, where the even numbered books' prologues show events occuring soon before the start of the novel, whereas odd numbered books show ancient history in the prologue. This one tells us a lot about what's going to happen in Toll the Hounds.
-Dragnipur and the people within it are important--the cart is about to fail. This may be the book where Paran breaks the sword.
-Karsa's two daughters, fathered shortly after he left his village in House of Chains: looks like we're going to see his return to lead the uprising. Wonder if he'll have the Tarthenal from Lether with him.
-And that first section doesn't give us much to go on, but it does seem to be showing the arrival of the dead from the jade statues in Hood's Realm.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”