Zahir's Take: The Sorceror's Stone (movie)

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Zahir's Take: The Sorceror's Stone (movie)

Post by Zahir »

Menolly asked for this. She really did. :twisted:

Okay, I'll admit I hadn't even read one Harry Potter book until the publicity for the first movie was in full swing. Methinks what really grabbed my imagination was this image of all those letters arriving via owl. I was intrigued enough to go out and get the book--which I read aloud to my darling Colleen.

(About a third of the way in, I turned to her and said "Hermione and Ron, those two are destined to get married." She simply nodded, with a smile.)

Frankly, I will admit that the loss of certain details saddened me, all the more because some made no sense to me and still do not. Why not, after all, have Dumbledore establish his quirky sense of humor once and for all with his "few words"? And I do rather wish Mr. Ollivander had been more of the charming-but-slightly-sinister person he is in the novels. One can also point out that Emma Watson even at age twelve is really much prettier than Hermione, but I don't feel the slightest need to complain about that. I'm a guy, after all.

At the same time, other moments were nothing less than perfect. The whole business with the Mirror of Erised was very touching--all the moreso if you've ever, EVER lost someone you loved. Of course, in retrospect, that scene is even more affecting. Likewise the first Potions Class captured all that was needed very well (although--a truly minor caveat--Alan Rickman is nearly twice Snape's age). And the final bit with Neville at the end-of-term feast...just lovely!

But more than that--and despite what I see as a few missteps along the way--the first movie of the series captures extremely well the feeling[/u] of the first book. In essence this is a story about an orphan who finds a real home--a wonderous, genuinely magical home--as well as real friends and then, a real opportunity to Do Right. All that is there. The film--rightly, imo--focuses on Harry's emotional journey, and nothing I think captures that better than when he simply takes Hedwig out for a little flight in the winter. I've always thought that visually, that owl represented something about Harry--the purity of his color, the grace with which he would fly (as does Harry, both literally and metaphorically), etc.--and that simple act of taking wing at Christmas echoed Harry's own joy as the first Christmas where he got presents (a very Dickensian touch that, but it works).

Adapting a novel-length work to under two hours of film-time is never easy, and rarely without a few stumbles. Methinks this screenplay does an admirable job overall. For example, notice how in the film Harry's discovery of the Mirror of Erised happened the same night as his eavesdropping on Snape and Quirrell? Or how the Trio's accidental discovery of Fluffy is handled in such a straightforward way--they got lost as the staircase moved? Myself, I miss the protection Snape erected for the Stone--those potions--but I see why it was done. Time. Still, this took away a time for Hermione to shine. Not that she really needs it all that much I suppose.

This film does begin to strike a subtle note in a change from the books that (so far) has carried through, and is one I regret. Rowlings' novels have established that while Hermione is excellent at any form of academics, Ron is the better person at handling a crisis that happens right at the moment. She tends to freeze (this changes over time). Here, that is almost reversed, and I regret it. It frankly spoils things ever so slightly to have Hermione give Ron a wand lesson in the midst of his rescuing her. I prefer the Ron who took charge when confronted with a gi-normous chess set and deliberately sacrificed himself.

One other minor complaint, and this has also been something popping up in all the films--a sight tendency to preach. Hermione's little speech to Harry before urging him to go on without her and Ron kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.

Still, as perhaps can be told, I've watched this movie again and again. It captured, if not every detail and nuance of the book, its heart and given that I loved the book, then it follows I am quite a fan of the movie.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Zahir's Take: The Sorceror's Stone (movie)

Post by Menolly »

Zahir wrote:Menolly asked for this. She really did. :twisted:
Aye. This I did.

Thank you, Zahir. What you have written for this first movie is awesome, as I knew it would be.

Now...if you had adapted the novel into screenplay, what would you have done? How would you have shown Ron's quick thinking in times of crises? What else would you have chosen to focus on, and how would you have done so?
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Hmmmm...well, I think in *this* movie the only really major change is that I'd add Dumbledore's "few words" and cut Hermione's wand lesson mid-rescue. In general, I liked the film very much.

But I'll keep your question in mind for further threads on the other movies.

Next up: The Chamber of Secrets.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Zahir wrote:
Adapting a novel-length work to under two hours of film-time is never easy, and rarely without a few stumbles. Methinks this screenplay does an admirable job overall. For example, notice how in the film Harry's discovery of the Mirror of Erised happened the same night as his eavesdropping on Snape and Quirrell? Or how the Trio's accidental discovery of Fluffy is handled in such a straightforward way--they got lost as the staircase moved? Myself, I miss the protection Snape erected for the Stone--those potions--but I see why it was done. Time. Still, this took away a time for Hermione to shine. Not that she really needs it all that much I suppose.

This film does begin to strike a subtle note in a change from the books that (so far) has carried through, and is one I regret. Rowlings' novels have established that while Hermione is excellent at any form of academics, Ron is the better person at handling a crisis that happens right at the moment. She tends to freeze (this changes over time). Here, that is almost reversed, and I regret it. It frankly spoils things ever so slightly to have Hermione give Ron a wand lesson in the midst of his rescuing her. I prefer the Ron who took charge when confronted with a gi-normous chess set and deliberately sacrificed himself.

One other minor complaint, and this has also been something popping up in all the films--a sight tendency to preach. Hermione's little speech to Harry before urging him to go on without her and Ron kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.

Still, as perhaps can be told, I've watched this movie again and again. It captured, if not every detail and nuance of the book, its heart and given that I loved the book, then it follows I am quite a fan of the movie.
I am a fan of both movie(s) and book(s) and recognize the differences of the two and between the two.
You're correct that translation of a novel into two hours of cinema isn't easy. Imagine the difficulty they had with Lord Of The Rings? Or even Dune (which was a sad disappointment)? Other novels have translated fairly well enough, Pride and Prejudice, Les Miserables (1935 version with Fredrick March and Charles Laughton) and so forth. But these novels are more along actual (true to life) human events. Very few special effects are needed to convey the story.
Whereas the HP, LOTR and Narnia type stories are heavy in the magical and fantasy realms thus require more to carry the story, so it's difficult to squeeze that all important element along with the human. But in the hands of talented film makers (directors, writers, FX, editors, et al) it can be done quite satisfactory.
However as you noted much would have to be sacrificed. Getting the gist of the story and also reading between the lines and using that "interpretation" to tell the whole scene. The Potter films are fortunate that the author/inventor demanded a hand into the making of the films. She obviously knew too well how badly a Hollywood production can screw things up. We the fans are fortunate that Jo Rowling is as talented as she is to know when to step in the film making process and when to let the people who know what they're doing do what they do best. Likewise the film-makers that actually listened and cared enough to make this the best interpretation of the novels as they could. One could guess that they have children of their own that are huge fans and they didn't want to disappoint them. Recall the story of when Sir Richard Harris got the offer to play Dumbledore his granddaughter insisted that he take the part.

I agree that the film(s) rightly focuses on Harry's emotional journey, though (again) they could've placed more empathisis on more of his life for example on his misery living with the Dursleys and the terrible loneliness he felt while there... but the film does do a respectable job in the time allotted and the actors do act mean enough in a comical sense.
I think Hermione shone well enough with the Devil's Snare sequence as did Harry with the flying keys and Ron (agreed again, brilliantly) with the Wizard's Chess. While Harry is indeed the protagonist of the film his two friends still manage to find enough balance to get their moments in.
Hermione's "swish and flick" during the battle with the troll, I thought just shows her typical nature of always (wanting to do it right and knowing Ron's penchant for not succeeding well in classes. It also shows her caring/liking Ron as did the scene on the train where she points out the "bit of dirt on your nose... just there" and again wanting to stay with Ron because she admired his bravery and sacrifice. Also it was Ron who preached: "You're the one that has to go on, Harry. Not me not Hermione, you!" Hermione admitted her faults about "books and cleverness are not as nearly as important as friendship and bravery..." I don't see how that was preaching as more of the awareness of her own limitations.
Alan Rickman's selection for the role of Snape was dead on. He's completely unrecognizable from the other villainous characters he plays so well but he also shines through showing even in the first film the conflict and constant fear of being discovered, as evident again with the troll scene of hiding his injured leg and once more in the halls after classes where "one might think you're ... up... to something" as Harry stares him down. The nuisances and flicker of fear in his face.
The film does an admirable job of getting the viewer to focus on Snape rather than Quirrell during the Quiddich match where upon repeated viewing you can catch a quick glimpse of Quirrell muttering the spell to cause Harry's broom to go haywire while standing behind Snape.
Likewise moving the first meeting of Malfoy and Harry to the Entrance Hall outside the Dining room and beginning the two's dislike for each other there instead of in Diagon Alley. Interesting enough Malfoy introduces Crabbe and Goyle there as well whereas I don't recall any in the book.
Changes too, to Hagrid's introduction and how they glossed over how long he actually stayed in that lighthouse, and how he traveled to/from. Still the effect of making him huge was mindblowing to me... I actually thought it was really his size when I first saw it. Then seeing LOTR's fx's made me realize the same effect was done with Robbie Coltrane as well. Nicely done.

Yes, the film(s) capture the heart of the books. The selection of the actors was well thought out and well done. Likewise Rowling's insistence that the cast be either all or primarily all British.
I enjoy reading the books repeatedly as much as I enjoy watching the films again and again. Dare say that the films helped increase the number of readers of the books by a considerable margin. Providing an mental image and voice to the characters in the books makes for easier reading for a lot of people who don't read regularly otherwise.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”