Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 15 The Forbidden Forest

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 15 The Forbidden Forest

Post by Zahir »

One of the many really neat things about Rowling as a writer is that every single chapter does indeed contain stuff that moves the plot along as well as revealing character.

Case in point, this one.

Five of the central characters of the series--the other two not yet students at Hogwarts (Ginny and Luna)--all end up in trouble together. Of course each got in trouble for different reasons. Draco, for example, was trying to cause trouble while our Trinity were just trying to do good by their friend Hagrid.

Recall earlier what I wrote about McGonnagal? She has a lot of sentimentality to over-compensate for, hence her extreme punishment of her own House. Likewise, notice how she tends to leap to conclusions? We'll see this tendency in her again and again. Among other things, she presumes that everyone is staging an elaborate prank against Slytherin. One wonders just what kind of student she was back in the day. Another thought--if you work out the dates, it seems pretty obvious she and Tom Riddle were classmates. Oh, the untold stories...!

Of course everyone other than the Slytherins are furious with the Trinity. Understandably. Here btw there's an interesting theme explored here as elsewhere--the difference between public perception and the truth. Or for that matter between anyone's perceptions/beliefs/assumptions and what turns out to be the facts. Plus, there's a lot of long-term set-up going on. Recall that not too many books from now when Harry is accused of lying or cheating or even of being a dark wizard, there are plenty of folks ready to believe those accusations. This incident, costing Griffyndore one hundred and fifty points, lays the ground work for that.

So we see the Trinity deeply unhappy, upset they've not only cost Gryffindore the House Cup but probably handed it over to Slytherin. Worse, they've accidentally involved a total innocent--Neville--in their well-intentioned antics. One wonders how many folks reading this book for the very first time see in Neville the seeds of the heroic lad he will become? After all, weren't his actions precisely those of a well-meaning hero? Didn't he act from essentially the same motives as Harry, Ron and Hermione--to help save a friend?

Next is an intriguing little bit with Professor Quirrell, which in retrospect makes oodles of sense.

So Harry resolves to stop all this adventuring around. But although we are tempered by events, we are not fundamentally changed by them save in increments. He is still a swashbuckling hero in his heart. Once they are in the Forbidden Forest, looking for whatever could wound or kill a unicorn (And isn't that a chilling idea?) Harry cannot help but be true to his nature. Likewise, Draco is true to his own. We know there are in fact brave Slytherins, but Lucius' little boy is not among them. Nor can any of us really blame him, can we? This cloaked thing just tracked down a unicorn and began drinking its blood! I'd scream too! I would run!

This chapter also introduces us to the centaurs, and their own prejudices, no less silly or destructive than those of humans. And we meet Firenze, the liberal and progressive centaur. I always liked him.

Now, in the wake of incidents in the Forbidden Forest (which is a nice double entendre when you thing about it) Harry's true colors again emerge. He (like McGonnagal) leaps to the wrong conclusion, not about what is going on necessarily, but about who is behind it all. Not for the first time, he assumes the worst about Snape. Quite understandably, but still. More, since he does leap to the wrong conclusions, it sets up when other characters assume he's doing it again in later books.

And at the end of this chapter, the stage is set for the confrontation that is the climax of the book...
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Thank you, Zahir.
Interesting point about the possibility of McGonnagal and Riddle being classmates.

...and I apologize for not sending a reminder; thanks also for being on top of the schedule...

:oops:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”