What do people think of the Last Chronicles? (No spoilers)

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

raverboy
Servant of the Land

What do people think of the Last Chronicles? (No spoilers)

Post by raverboy »

I've finally finshed rereading the second chronicles and was surprised how much I enjoyed them again (although TOT did still drag on) - maybe age has made me appreciate the darkness of the novels more.

So before I launch into the first 2 books of the Last Chronicles, I was wondering what people thought of them generally - please no spoilers.

Are they as good as the previous books? We're people disappointed or surprised? Where do they rate in the order of the best books?

I know everyone will have differring opinions, but I was just wondering what the general concensus is. I'm trying to get my home/work life in order, so I can devote myself to the books. Methinks I will have a few late nights coming up.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

You'll definitely find a range of opinions. There are some who have enjoyed every page of the first 2 books in The Last Chronicles and there are those who think SRD should've stopped after WGW. I doubt you'll find a general consensus. ;)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In short: my opinion is that the Final Chronicles are a work of significance that succeed on many levels and which have engaged my curiosity, but which fail to resonate with me in the way the others have done, for reasons which at first I thought were "me" but which, after careful examination, I have come to see are not.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm firmly in the "Shoulda quit after WGW" camp. The Last Chrons are, in my opinion, wholly unnecessary. Moreover, there's been absolutely nothing captivating about them; no amazing characters, no breathtaking set pieces, and nothing innovative. The two books are standard fantasy novels, and I think they're tremendously disappointing.

Now, it may well be that there will be some sort of amazing reveal at the end of the 4th book, but I'm a firm believer in the journey, not the destination. I don't like the direction it's heading, and I don't like the way the story's being told.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
TIC TAC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TIC TAC »

I finished reading FR just the other day. My opinion is that though I was entertained by each of the first two installments of the Last Chrons. I find myself questioning SRD for the first time ever. I'm a member of THOOLAH so I have a problem right from the start. I won't say more about that since it could be thought of as spoiler territory. :-) There are elements of each book that are quite interesting however there are other elements that seem to imply an intent that I would expect from a far less talented and commited author than SRD. I'm a bit confused by the direction of the books (as Cail seems to be) but I guess I'm still on board until we find out just where all of this is going.
THOOLAH - Nuff said.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

wayfriend wrote:In short: my opinion is that the Final Chronicles are a work of significance that succeed on many levels and which have engaged my curiosity, but which fail to resonate with me in the way the others have done, for reasons which at first I thought were "me" but which, after careful examination, I have come to see are not.
What WF said.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

To me, it's a "leaner" style of writing than in the first two chronicles. You'll have to reach for the dictionary less often. SRD fills in some blanks from the other series. Some object to the approach as to how it's done, but I've had no trouble with it.

I'd rank FR among the best overall in the series. It has scenes that compare with anything found in the first two series.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

To the "Should have quit after WGW" camp: I bet there are people who think he should have quit after TPTP.
B&
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There are people who think he should have quit after Lord Foul's Bane ... after seven chapters of Lord Foul's Bane. :wink:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

wayfriend wrote:There are people who think he should have quit after Lord Foul's Bane ... after seven chapters of Lord Foul's Bane. :wink:
So true, so true.
B&
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You know what? I'd have been OK with that. But at least the Second Chrons had something new to offer. ROtE and FR have been fantasy staple, followed by cliche, followed by revisionist history.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Servant of the Land

Post by AlteredState »

To sum up the final chonicles so far: sheer brilliance. Whilst, so far, not as good as the first or second chronicles, its still by any measure better than most of the dross out there.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Like dlbpharmd said, if you're hoping to find a general consensus about the Last Chronicles...you won't.

But then, did we ever have a consensus about the first two Chrons? A clear preference for one over the other has been expressed by many at KW. There is also a deep polarization of opinion over, say, The One Tree.

So, all that matters to me is that SRD is alive to write the Last Chronicles, and that I'm alive to read it. If you'd like to wait until after I've read the last book, then I'll give you a definitive opinion at that point. :P
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

The Last Chons follow a simple and very logical progression from the first two.

First Chrons - achievements and failures of individuals - just think of how many characters become separated or alienated in some way from their peoples - starting (but not ending) with Thomas Covenant and also including (at some time or other) Foamfollower (last of his kind in the Land), Mhoram (who bore the burden of dangerous knowledge and then later made his last stand alone), and Bannor (apart from the haruchai in TPTP).

Second Chrons - focuses on couples, and how two together can accomplish more than one alone - Covenant and Linden, the First and Pitchwife, Sunder and Hollian, Vain and Findail

Last Chrons - focus shifts to families. This actually started a bit in the Second Chrons with the emotional torture of Linden by her parents and how that warped her psyche to form the murder/healing dichotomy of her personality - so as to not get spoilery - when you read the Last Chrons I advise you pay very close attention to family relationships (whether blood or adoption). Pay very close attention to what parents do both for and to their children, whether voluntarily or inadvertantly. Pay very close attention to what the children do in response. Family - particularly parent and child - relationships are the center of these books.
Love as thou wilt.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Nice summary, Duchess.

And awesome sig. :D
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

by all means read the next set of books, but dont'expect anything too wondorous about them. I found them to be totally lacking in any continuity to the 1st and 2nd chrons and am a firm believer that SRD should have stopped at the end of WGW.

imho

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I have to say that I love it! It was very different to what I'd expected.. But basically it seems the people who don't like it (so far) don't like it because it challenged their pre-existing concepts of the Land, at some points (especially in Runes) it's quite slow, Linden's thoughts can be a bit repetitive and I think some people just don't like where it's going..

I can understand why the end of WGW was enough - it was beautiful, and it left us with a sense that the Land would recover and regain its strength..

Now 2 books into the 3rd Chrons it seems that such a beautiful, inspiring end in which we can sense the Land again be saved and be recovered from all the evils which encompass it will be a much more difficult thing to achieve than in the previous books..

And for what it's worth I like the new characters.. The 'bad guys..' there is so much more to them than 'the Clave' and the Na-Morham..

Anyway when I read it, it doesn't feel like you're reading a book written by an Author, but a book that's writing itself - as if Donaldson hasn't got a choice but to write this story and to write it this particular way..

And even - hypothetically, of course - even if it doesn't seem as good as the first 2 Chrons, is there any other series that even comes close to being that good?
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Excellent post! I agree with many of your points.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Likewise. I also agree that for the most part it doesn't touch me in the profound way that the First Chronicles does. It's more like the Gap in that there are multiple levels of intrigue and mystery, and less of the deep emotional resonance and poignant beauty.

I find it very entertaining and interesting, and at times exasperating too (though I also believe that's intentional, so that we truly feel the frustration the main characters do). But I felt that way about a lot of WGW, which was really hard to read the first time. As were some of the chapters from TC's point of view in TPTP... I used to feel like I was slogging thru them just to get back to Mhoram.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

I have read both ROTE and FR once. I doubt very much that I will read them again. I was very disappointed in their approach to the supposed continuation of the original series of books.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”