Low Carb...at Menolly's request

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

storm
Giantfriend

Low Carb...at Menolly's request

Post by storm »

Due to some excellent sub-forum pimping by Menolly, i've decided to contribute to the culinary arsenal of those who are currently or want to embark on a low-carb way of eating.

So...

If anyone has any special requests, let me know. I told DW that i would attend to some chicken recipes for him due to giving up red meat for Lent, i've never really dabbled in anything Kosher, except for seasoning a steak...so if our Jewish contingent has requests...it will take some work for me to come up with something palatable.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

Coconut Chicken

Ingredients
2 large chicken breasts or chicken thighs (boneless)
2/3 cup shredded coconut
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2tbsp coconut oil (smart balance butter is acceptable)

Directions
1. combine garlic, coconut and oil/butter in bown and microwave until softened (preheat oven to 400 while doing this)
2. stir thoroughly and spread evenly onto one side of the chicken breasts
3. place chicken on baking sheet or in a glass casserole dish coated with olive oil cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes
note: after the first 10-12 minutes, watch the chicken, depending on where you live baked chicken can go from moist and awesome to dry and terrible very quickly

Sides:
Mashed Garlic Cauliflower
Ingredients
1 large head cauliflower
1tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic chopped (1 clove will work if you don't love a strong garlic taste)
1tsp salt

Directions
1. in a large tight fitting pot, steam the cauliflower for 15 minutes in approximately 2 inches of water (or if you have a steamer, that works too)
2. transfer cauliflower to a food processor and puree in small batches until incorporated
3. add butter, garlic and salt until texture is smooth and creamy.

Note: if you are finding the consistency a little too watery...you can add some heavy cream (1tbsp at a time) to thicken it up to your liking.

Edit: if you are lazy and don't like chopping your own garlic, buy the minced garlic and just use equivalent measurements, the taste of the dish isn't really affected.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I love, love, love mashed cauliflower. And the chicken sounds awesome.

Hyperception does full fat Atkins on and off, so the recipes I have are very high fat. But oh gosh, they're pretty yummy.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

This is my favorite low carb pizza recipe.
For those doing the no meat thing for Lent, just leave off the meat toppings.

Deep Dish Pizza

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 ounce
1/4 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup pizza sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Assorted toppings: pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, bacon, ground beef, etc.
Dash of garlic pepper or garlic powder and some Italian seasoning for top of pizza

In a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Whisk in the eggs until the mixture is well-blended and smooth. Add the parmesan and seasonings, then stir in the 8 ounces of mozzarella until completely moistened. Spread the cheese mixture evenly in a well-greased 9x13" glass baking dish or lightly greased and lined with parchment paper (see note below). Bake at 375º 20-25 minutes or until evenly browned, but not too dark. Let cool completely on a wire rack. When nearly cooled, take a metal spatula and carefully pry up the edges to loosen from pan. Ease the spatula under the whole crust to loosen. Keep the crust in the pan. This makes it easier to remove the finished pizza later. Refrigerate, uncovered, until shortly before serving time.

Spread the chilled crust with the pizza sauce, then the cheese and toppings of your choice. Lightly sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice. Bake at 375º about 15-20 minutes or until toppings are bubbly. Let stand a few minutes before cutting.

Makes 8 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 304 Calories; 25g Fat; 17g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I don't recommend making this in a metal baking pan as it will stick making the pizza very difficult to remove and the pan very hard to clean.

I think I may have discovered the secret to a crispy crust. I left the baked crust uncovered in the refrigerator for several hours. I think that allowed it to dry out a bit so that it became crisp during the second baking with the toppings. I was able to pick the pizza up in my hands.

NOTE: If you lightly grease the pan and line it with parchment paper, you'll have no trouble removing the pizza from the pan later. Greasing the pan makes the parchment stick to it so you can easily spread the crust batter.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Zucchini Hash Browns

1 cup grated zucchini
1 TBS grated onion
2 eggs, beaten slightly
Salt, pepper, onion powder, (garlic powder for those who use it)

Heat oil in big cast iron skillet.
Mix all ingredients together in medium sized bowl and drop by heaping tablespoons in hot oil.
When brown on 1 side, turn and cook the other side.
Stack on a plate and keep in warm oven until whole batch is done.

You can top these with sour cream, or butter, or smother in gravy.

Notes: I store in the refrigerator to heat and serve whenever I'm in the mood.
This absolutely satisfied my craving for potatoes.
Last edited by Menolly on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Salmon Filets with Mustard Sauce

6 Salmon Fillets about 7 oz each
1 1/2 oz clarified butter
1 1/2 oz Vegetable Oil
1 Lemon, thinly sliced

Mustard Sauce

1/4 cup Shallots, minced
1 oz Butter
6 oz Dry white wine
1/2 cup Heavy cream
3/4 TBS Stone ground mustard
1/8 cup Chives, chopped
1/8 cup Parsley, chopped
Salt to taste

Garnish

Miniature pear tomatoes
Parsley sprigs

Arrange salmon fillets in baking pan, drizzle with combined butter and oil and top with lemon slices. Bake in 400°F oven 15 minutes or until flesh is no longer translucent.

Lightly saute shallots in butter; add wine and reduce until nearly evaporated. Add cream; cook and stir until thickened. Add mustard, chives, and parsley. Season to taste with salt.

Ladle serving of sauce on serving plate, arrange lemon topped salmon on sauce. Garnish with pear tomatoes and parsley sprigs.

(recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute)

Serves 6.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Chilean Sea Bass with Zucchini

Good, tender and juicy whitefish. Serves 3 people. Don't go wild with the Serrano chile!

1 1/2 lb Chilean Seabass fillets (or other firm whitefish fillets)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 TBS cilantro, finely chopped
2 TBS oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped and drained
2 green onions, chopped
1 lime
a dash white wine
2 to 3 small zucchini, sliced
1 Serrano chile, minced (Hot -- don't use too much!)
Salt, pepper, paprika

Arrange Seabass fillets in a single layer on foil-lined broiler pan. Spread garlic, cilantro, sun-dried tomatoes, and green onions over them. Squeeze lime juice on 'em, sprinkle the wine, arrange the zucchini around the fish, salt/pepper to taste, and add paprika for colour. Cover with foil and crimp the edges to form a seal. Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Deviled Salmon Eggs
a nice option for Easter Sunday

6 eggs
3 TBS mayonnaise
1/2 cup bones and flaked salmon, canned or smoked
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

Boil eggs. Run eggs under cold water, remove shells. Slice eggs in half lenghtwise. Remove yolks. Mash yolks and mayonnaise together until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Spoon mixture into eggs. Garnish with addition salmon if desired. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before serving.

Total grams 5.7
Grams per serving 0.5
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Here is another full-fledged Atkins recipe. Very high fat, even cutting back on the bacon. But it really does help those mashed potato cravings on occasion.

Do as the recipe says, serve on the second day.

Mock Mashed Potatoes

1 head cauliflower - steamed until almost mush
1/4 stick butter softened
4 oz cream cheese softened
4 oz cheddar cheese grated
1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
1/8 C sour cream (or 2 scallions; see ***)

Preheat oven to 350°F

Let steamed cauliflower dry out and drain for an hour or so in a mesh colander. Press out water. Don't worry about the cauliflower mashing. Keep pressing out water and continue to blot with paper towels. Put cauliflower and all other ingredients in food processor and pulse until fully blended. Butter an 8x8" baking dish and spread mixture evenly in dish. Bake for 40 or so minutes until top is orange brown.

This tastes best the second day. Keep covered in fridge. This freezes and reheats well (better this way than fresh). I cut individual servings and freeze in individual freezer bags. I also put these in separated glad containers with an entree to make quick TV dinners. Recipe can be doubled and made in 9x13" dish

Makes 4 large servings.

1 serving 346 Cals, 29 gr Fat, 10 Carbs with 3.5 Fiber for net carbs 6.5, Protein 14 gr.

***I recently made the mock potatoes and didn't have sour cream I added 2 scallions in chunks to the food processor with all the other ingredients. It was the best batch!

I don't put nearly that much bacon in the recipe. I just cook 4 pieces or so and chop up. Also, I add garlic!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wait!! .. is that really a low carb pizza??? really??

come on .. its ok to fess up .. cos there looks like some really nice carbs on that pizza .. but maybe there just mainly fats .. ;)

i should never post when its late ;)

man o man some of these babies are super high in fatty (creamy cheesey creamy creamy buttery cheesey) goodness ;)

niiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

might want to serve with cholesterol warning!! lol

no i am just kidding .. these are all kinds of good .. i love the mashed creamy cauliflowers and the devillish eggs .. yum ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Skyweir wrote:wait!! .. is that really a low carb pizza??? really??

come on .. its ok to fess up .. cos there looks like some really nice carbs on that pizza .. but maybe there just mainly fats .. ;)
Seriously. Really.
And when you're doing Atkins induction
it's all kind of good.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

lol - hey so folk still undertake Atkins torture?? geez .. i take my hat and socks off to you *bows deeply*

i'm with you sister .. after that it all looks good as is good after a month on the Atkins diet ..

*very opposed to diets and dieting* very nasty stuff!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

The Atkins concept worked really well for me... even though I tended not to ever dip into actual acid ketosis, the rules that had me avoiding all empty carb sources did a great job of limiting my calorie intake, so I dropped pounds pretty easily. That worked when I had a relatively large number of pounds to lose. Now, I have had to change my game plan to continue losing while still weight-training and upping my cardio. That's the hard part - ramping up the output at the same time that I'm limiting calorie intake. And damn it, carbs are a really good workout fuel.

I still have to try that lo-carb pizza. I have to know if it will really satisfy my pizza craving without blowing my carb count...

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:I still have to try that lo-carb pizza. I have to know if it will really satisfy my pizza craving without blowing my carb count...
dw, that lo-carb pizza is really, really good. But it definitely is not low fat nor low calorie...

And again, it may be that it's even better when real pizza is forbidden. But, Beorn enjoyed it and he has not been low-carb restricted yet so has had regular pizza available to him when ever.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

No carb recipes/ideas

Post by stonemaybe »

Sorry if this has been done before (Menolly feel free to delete/merge if it has)

The gf is currently on a meal replacement diet type thing, which forbids carbs in the normal food you eat. As I cook most of our meals this has me scratching my head. I'm not doing too badly, but I'm rapidly running out of ideas!

Tried using beansprouts and/or thin lengths of courgette (zucchini) as alternatives to noodles/pasta/. That worked quite well. Lots of green veg and pak choi and peppers going into stirfries too. I'm marinading chicken in chilli/garlic/coriander or soy sauce/sesame oil/sherry mixes. Wishing i could get a source for fresh fish.

Help!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I am on a low carb diet. Feel like I've been on it all my life. Two fish staples for me are;

This is really easy - buy a packet of taco seasoning and some olive oil. Rub it on tilapia and bake it on a high temp in the oven until done. serve over roasted veggies. I LOVE roasted veggies.

MY second recipe is my favorite. Take tilapia, cook it in some canned chicken broth, plain nonfat yogurt, curry powder, garlic powder and one packet of splenda. Cook it until it break up into small pieces and makes a stew. I add some fresh pineapple or chopped green apple at the end. it is fabulous! I eat it like a stew, some put it over brown rice. but its good without rice.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*bump for Stone and lorin*
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Thanks Lorin!

I'm sure I've asked this before, what's Splenda?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Sugar substitute
Consists of dextrose, maltodextrine, and sucralose

Splenda.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I just came across this in the current issue of Food Network Magazine. This sounds like a great salad for Passover, let alone being a low carb option for tabouli lovers.

I would probably make it a day ahead and let it sit overnight.

Cauliflower Tabouli

1 head cauliflower, grated fine
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch parsley, chopped
2 TBS mint, chopped
salt and pepper

Dressing:
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS soy sauce
2 chopped scallions

Combine cauliflower, plum tomatoes, parsley and 2 tablespoons chopped mint in a large bowl. Mix together the dressing and add to the salad fixings. Season with salt and pepper.

It may just be me.
But this really does sound like a terrific low carb version for tabouli lovers. Something I haven't made much of, since Hyperception is still doing a modified low carb life style, and Beorn won't touch tabouli. No sense making it just for me. But I think if allowed to sit overnight, Hyperception and I will both enjoy this. :)

Return to “The Galley”