Low Carb...at Menolly's request

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

No, but thanks for your help-- I know all ingredients, but even the USDA website only has a carb count for one ingredient!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Lord Zombiac wrote:No, but thanks for your help-- I know all ingredients, but even the USDA website only has a carb count for one ingredient!
almost all herbs are less than 1gram per teaspoon in ground form, 1 per 2 TABLespoons in raw form. Ginseng is @2, as is garlic if you want to count it. [everyone should call garlic a healthy herb even if it technically isn't]
And they're not ordinary carbs anyway...they're complex.
In other words: you can ignore it unless you're using truly massive quantities...and you can ignore it even more if you're brewing things up with it, cuz the carbs don't really cross over. When you see a package of tea that says it has 2 grams of carbs it means if you ate the bag. When the tea is done brewing, the vast majority of the carbs is still in the bag.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

slippery elm is used as a food though.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Lord Zombiac wrote:slippery elm is used as a food though.
I'm pretty sure that it has the same grams of fiber as other carbs, so even by Atkins calculations it has zero net carbs...not that I approve of Atkins.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

So, I went to my doctor on Friday. I pretty much started from scratch on induction after the radioactive iodine uptake in January, had a day at the end of the first two weeks where I binged, so did pretty much induction again for another two weeks. My last appointment with my doctor was exactly a month before this last one. He tells me I lost 13 pounds between visits.

Now, after the uptake, I was seriously having some digestive issues. Probably retaining water, and I had to force "movements" to discard the radiation. But I stopped the magnesium citrate and Miralax after the month of partial radioactive "quarantine" (I had to be certain to stay 6' or further away from pregnant or nursing mothers, or from families with young children, and had to carry a letter with me stating I had the treatment, in case I set off a radiation detector in a passing police car or some such) and am back to not voiding every day. I also have added a few more carbs back in to my diet as of a week ago, but nothing drastic.

The past week I've pretty much stalled, going up a pound, then back down to my low, and repeating. I am this close to my first short term goal, and I know low carbing is what is working for me. Even my doctor says to keep it up, although he is not a huge fan of Atkins. But it will be nice to break the plateau.

I am still going for my twice daily hour long walks. hyperception brought me to the gym one day last week, and he feels once I am comfortable going on my own that I should try and go three times a week, in addition to my walking. So, I guess that is the next step.

...but man. There are times when I just want to say "screw it" and go back to being 254.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Menolly wrote:But I stopped the magnesium citrate and Miralax after the month of partial radioactive "quarantine" (I had to be certain to stay 6' or further away from pregnant or nursing mothers, or from families with young children, and had to carry a letter with me stating I had the treatment, in case I set off a radiation detector in a passing police car or some such)
8O Oh, boy...
Menolly wrote:I am still going for my twice daily hour long walks.
Hey, that sounds like GREAT determination to me - twice daily? And keeping consistent with that? Wow!

It sounds like you're trying to fight two or three different battles on two different fronts simultaneously, where your diet is concerned...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Menolly wrote:I am still going for my twice daily hour long walks.
Hey, that sounds like GREAT determination to me - twice daily? And keeping consistent with that? Wow!
Seconding the kudos for Menolly here. I clearly remember the woman who had to be convinced to come walk in the park with Dam-sel and I when you first came to visit...and the stories of you declining walks (even declining to sit outside in the sunlight) with hyperception.

We were amazed last fall when you were here considering how to approach your diagnosis...and were already walking twice a day for at least an hour. Even in pretty adverse weather!

Consistent? Yes, you are still doing it. Remarkable turnaround for someone who used to flatly declare "I do not change." Keep it up, for these new habits and your weight loss will give you extra years of vitality. :hug:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Woo-hoo!

First short term goal met.
75 lbs. more to go.
But I'll continue to approach this in 25 lb. increments.

Next short term goal:
Below 175.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

congrats!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Nice going, Menolly! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I just found out that flax seeds are considered kosher for passover, and there is kosher for passover baking powder available. So, if I can find the kosher for passover baking powder, without ordering online as the shipping costs I've found are prohibitive, I foresee flax seed meal low-carb pizza as an option during passover.

I will be in south Florida a couple days before and the first two nights of passover. So, hopefully I can find the baking powder, and kosher for passover chocolate chips (semi-sweet and white) in the couple of days before the holiday starts.

Yay!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Just for clarity, those k4p chips are not going on pizza, I hope!

At Pesach, I know you use white and regular chocolate chips that are k4p to make your celebrated Matzoh Caramel Crunch (Yum!), but surely between the matzoh and the caramel (much less the chips) this cannot be considered low-carb WOE?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The chips are for the matzah caramel crunch.

Which I have to bring to gain admittance to either of the seders I am going to. ;)

I just received an email today which claims one of the two Winn-Dixie stores here in Gator Town is designated a Pesah store, meaning they'll have a more expanded selection than typical. So, I'm going to run by there and see if they have the baking powder and chips. If not, perhaps they will special order them for me...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Made some very poor food choices today as far as low carb WOE goes. Had a great week last week; probably reversed a lot of progress between last night's celebratory meal and choices today.

Ah well. Start fresh tomorrow. ♥
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Picked up a package of tofu shirataki fettucini to try. Effective carbs of 1 gram per serving. Grilled up italian sausage links, then did them parmigiana with 5 grams carbs per 1/2 cup doctored up Gia Russa Cherry Tomato sauce, provolone cheese, shredded mozzarella, and grated romano cheese. Served on top of the shirataki.

The shirataki was more than an acceptable substitute for regular pasta. Unfortunately, there is no way to make it al dente, but otherwise it worked quite well.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I like the concept, but am trying to figure out if you would slurp this out of the shell, or eat it with a fork and knife? Fajitas means hand food to me, generally.

Steak Fajita stuffed Avocado
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

With all the low-carb cuisine you have prepared in the past year (along with a fair sprinkling of days with WOE-free food choices), it is good to see you revive this thread.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

What three years of mostly following a low-carb WOE and daily walking can do.
(...not to mention a little make-up)

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

What a wonderful contrast. Behind the pictures, I know that the first one is from about the time we first met in person, though we'd been acquainted online for a while before that. I'm not sure you knew then what you were capable of becoming...but look at what you've done!

Sensible eating, greater activity (learning all about the life that is not lived online), a little gilding the lily, yes.

One other factor, though. You are now in an environment where you are cared about, believed in, and cherished for who you are. That may help make a difference...if only by giving you a reason to care enough about your own well being to accomplish the changes only you could make.

:loveyou:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

A few years between posts, and quite a few physical changes. Low carb eating fell by the wayside, as did daily walking. New medical issues arose (leukemia and DCIS). The DCIS led to a bilateral mastectomy, and plans for reconstruction.

Starting weight prior to the mastectomy was 233. My plastic surgeon will not put me on the operating table for upwards to 12 hours until I weigh less than 200 lbs. She suggested I give the ketogenic way of eating (woe) a try. I told her I wanted to discuss it with my other medical professionals. The keto woe has been approved and endorsed by my nurse practitioner, hematologist, oncologist, endocrinologist, and plastic surgeon. Five medical fields giving the thumbs up is good enough for me.

After surgery, my weight was 222 (bye-bye boobies!). I started keto the next day.

Date Started: 06/27/2018
SW (Starting Weight): 222
CW (Current Weight): 202
STG (Short Term Goal, for surgery): 190-ish
LTG (Long Term Goal): 115

Some keto recipes work, others...not so much. I'm quite pleased with how these gluten free keto mini doughnuts turned out.

Keto Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts

The recipe is for a standard size doughnut pan. As such, it's supposed to make 9 doughnuts at 2 net carbs each. Dam-sel has a single 12 count mini doughnut pan, so I baked in two batches, having to adjust the time slightly. I wound up with 24 mini doughnuts. I'm counting a 2 mini doughnut serving as 2 net carbs, but technically I think they would be slightly less than that.

The recipe calls for using Xylitol in the glaze, but that is risky for pets, so I won't buy it. I used erythritol, and while there is a cooling sensation to the glaze, it doesn't bother me.
Quite yummy!

I hope others in the house hold join me in eating them. I am not one to eat doughnuts everyday, and since there are no preservatives, I expect even refrigerated the longest they'll last is a week, at most.

Return to “The Galley”