Low Carb...at Menolly's request

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Great topic. After gaining too much pounds and losing most of my muscles I finally started working out again seriously (fortunately got all I need for it at home) so it's HIGH protein and low carb for me now.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

When the gf was on low carb for a while, i found beansprouts to be a good alternative to pasta or noodles. Just cook the usual sauce with them.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Which type of bean sprouts, Stone?
Mung bean?
I would imagine alfalfa sprouts would be way too delicate...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

you see, now you're just confusing me! bean sprouts are bean sprouts here!

This type of thing....
www.salmonellablog.com/istockphoto_5073 ... prouts.jpg
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:you see, now you're just confusing me! bean sprouts are bean sprouts here!

This type of thing....
www.salmonellablog.com/istockphoto_5073 ... prouts.jpg
*nod*

mung bean sprouts

These are alfalfa sprouts. Usually added to salads, but I like them around the edges of huevos rancheros as well, though I know that is definitely not a traditional presentation...

As I said, much more fragile, or perhaps delicate would be a better word, than mung bean sprouts.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Can't recall if I've posted this elsewhere in the galley or not. Here is the current version I am using...

Low-carb Chicken Salad:
1.5 cup baked chicken breast, chopped into small chunks (a 12oz can of chicken will work also)
1/2cup diced celery
1/4 cup slivered roasted almonds
1T Horseradish sauce
1t prepared yellow mustard
1/4t onion powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise (to desired consistency)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Combine all in a dish, cover and chill for at least an hour, to give the onion powder time to meander into the other ingredients. Serve with vegetable sticks or roll up into low-carb wraps. I find the celery and almond slivers give it a crunchy texture that is pleasing.

If I were not being carb-conscious, I would omit the horseradish and instead add sliced grapes, and serve on toasted baguette slices.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Sounds yummy, dw!

Did you ever try the pizza "casserole" I shared? With the cheese crust?
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Well here's what I've been eating:
breakfast-- eggs, sometimes with an all beef angus hot dog (2 carbs)
sprouts with malt vinegar and olive oil, when I have some.
various omlettes.
olives-- there is an enzyme in olives that targets belly fat specifically.
lunch-- salads with sprouts, sometimes meat, and other things. Sometimes tuna and avacado with mayonaise. (3.5 carbs avacado)
dinner-- kabob with mushrooms, zucchini and stew meat (around 8 carbs if I use a lot of mushrooms and zucchini)
bulked up with lettuce.
Also a huge brisket which I slice and pan fry at will. I love brisket fat-- it is the tastiest. My "barbeque sauce" is 1/2 cup olive oil, kansas city steak seasoning, 1 packet of splenda.
I eat jalepenos whenever I can (same carb count as bell peppers)
Made some chilli, but it was a mistake-- I didn't realize the cumin and chilli powder contain 2 grams per teaspoon and I use a LOT.
I substitute saute'ed celery for beans and just forgo the tomato sauce altogether.
Today I will be getting some beef hearts, since they are due to arrive at the store at my request.
They are very cheap, very lean, and very tough, but I am 44 and had them 40 years ago and loved them a lot, so I'm sure the will make good kabab!
I have some broccoli and stuff. The veggie I'm really gonna miss is beets, because that was my favorite... acorn squash too, but well, I suppose I can have a little of that in phaze 4.
I have been using saccharin for sweetener.
I have made deserts with knox jello, sweet 10 saccharin syrup and various extracts (including chocolate-- if I order some theobromine, this will be a great treat!)
I've had to switch back to coffee from Yerba Matte due to the carbs in yerba, but again, phaze 4 will allow it.
I'm not drinking any kava kava during phaze 1 because carb data is sketchy, but may be around 4 per "serving" and what is considered a "serving" by common standards is a pediatric dose, and I like to get cosmically high on it! (drink a LOT of kava)
My favorite delight is making soda.
I did not drink diet sodas before the diet-- aspartame is bad and diet rite (splenda) is expensive.
Now I use mcCormick, Watson, and adams extracts with club soda to mix my own deliscoius sodas and man are they good!
I sweeten them with sweet 10 (saccharin) which I have failed to find any wholesale internet sales of that are not MORE expensive than local retail!
They are second only to Italian sodas in my opinion. I am thinking of opening a bar where I serve no alcohol-- just home made sodas, perhaps adding caffine, theobromine, theophyline, and other natural stimulants for my own "energy drink" formulas, Yerba Mate, kava kava (on occasion-- it is hard work and time consuming to prepare good strong kava).
Thanks to this invention I can keep my concoctions lively for customers.
I will have a big tv for movies, a reading room for books, a stage for bands and it will be an art center and all ages club for kids.
Most of my sodas will be just fun tastes, but the special formulas will hearken back to the days of the original coca cola! neat!
So far I've concocted "ammaretto" soda (almond and brandy extracts)
"candy bar" soda (chocolate, vanilla, and almond) and have these flavors to experiment with before ordering more:
vanilla
chocolate
lemon
brandy
oraange
strawberry
raspberry
almond
It took me eight years to realize I gained 50 lbs because I couldn't ride my beach cruiser up here in the mountains, so I bought a mountain bike to get in shape.
I was REALLY dissapointed that I STILL couldn't ride it uphill in some places-- including my cabin which is off a winding mountain road.
Then it took me another year to realize that I didn't need a lighter mountain bike-- I needed a lighter ME!
So, that's my goal.
Also the euphoria caused by ketosis is very similar to the euphoria I got when I was addicted to a certain drug.

I feel so good, in fact, that I may resume weight training, which I quit 12 years ago!
Look out world-- I'm getting into fighting shape!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Go for it, LZ!

Keep us updated on how it is going. I'll be back to low carbing once I am off of the low-iodine WOE in a few days.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Made the low carb deep dish pizza I've posted about before. Attempted to take some photos, for those curious as to how it comes out.

The "crust," after it was baked and sat overnight in the fridge. It consists of cream cheese, eggs, mozzarella and romano.

The recipe only calls for a quarter cup of sauce, but I used a full cup. Will cut back to about half a cup next time, I think.

As stone used to have in his signature:
"Oxymoron = Too much garlic."

Here there are about five whole cloves of fresh garlic microplaned over the sauce.

Provolone and fresh basil to start...

Mozzarella and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar for color.

Dak ham slices.

Bacon on top of the ham. Next time, the bacon will definitely be precooked first...

Two links of Johnsonville mild Italian sausage removed from their casing and crumbled.

Fresh mushrooms are the only way to go!
(same goes for fresh garlic over the jarred stuff. what is the jarred garlic packed in, anyway?)

Fresh out of the oven...

...and.
tah-da!

We enjoyed it. :hearts:
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Holy cow, you put a lot of stuff on top of that pizza!
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Menolly has asked
"What is jarred garlic packed in?"
It is packed in glass

Always glad to help
Please feel free to ask other
Obvious questions
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

MsMary wrote:Holy cow, you put a lot of stuff on top of that pizza!
Oh my, yes.

At first I thought, "will a 9"x13" be large enough for the three of us?
...then I lifted the baking dish to put it in to the oven.

Let me tell you, one slice, of which I cut six slices from that pan, was more than enough with the broccoli and salad.

And Jethro...
yes, yes, the packaging is glass.
But what is the medium that the chopped garlic is soaked in?
It's not all garlic, that's for sure. Almost a vinegar or something.
:shudder:
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Christopher Ranch brand
Is soybean oil, olive oil
And citric acid

Safeway's brand contains
Only garlic, water, and
...Phosphoric acid 8O

Glad I use solely
Christopher Ranch, which is based
In good old Gilroy!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I have no problem with citric acid (vitamin C, I believe) as a preservative, most of the time.
But garlic doesn't need it.
Except in lemon juice, when combined with capers for chicken piccata, or similar dishes.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm
Wowie! This is really good bread and really good for you. Two cups of flax flour yields a bread that has 8.4 grams of carbs!
Good news is you do not need parchment paper-- a spray of non stick spray will do nicely.
Bad news is every time I try a recipe I follow it exactly, forgetting that I live at 7,000 feet above sea level! Mine came out a little mushy... but oh so good!
I have made a mock marmalade using orange flavoring, knox jello, saccharin and food coloring. Perhaps I will use a little orange zest in the next batch if it is low carb... I sure love hot buttered toast with marmalade, and this flax bread is yummy!
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

alas orange peel is 57% carbohydrates by weight
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

So, as I posted in the WFD thread, I tried having fajitas using nori sheets for the wraps instead of tortillas. It worked OK, but for me the seaweed flavor comes through pretty heavily and seems a bit off with the steak.

However, today I pan sauteed some tilapia filets and made fish tacos with some of the fajita toppings we brought home. That worked much better with the nori for me. So maybe some tuna or "seafood" salad would be good options to wrap in nori as well.

I may take LZ's other suggestion, and try grape leaves for non-seafood wraps.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

This is bloody ridiculous!
Try to find a list of medicinal herbs and their carbohydrate content using a bleeping search engine!
I dare you! Try it!
No matter how I phrase my search terms I get nonsense about weight loss herbs or vague descriptions of carbohydrates found in herbs.
LOTS of herbal rememdies are roots and lots of roots have high carb content.
I have been suffering from nasal polyps for many years and have finally found a few rpomising herbs to treat it-- but at least two used in a four herb tea are high in carbs-- how high I don't know... nobody provides the bloody information, at least not in a searcahble form.
Is there a reliable source of information on the carb content of herbs?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Not sure if this would work, but have you tried uploading the "recipe" for the tea in to a site such as allrecipes.com, and then seeing what they say the nutritional breakdown for the recipe, including carbs, is? They may give the count for the whole ingredient list, rather than just the resultant tincture, but it would be a start, perhaps?

Return to “The Galley”