This Day all Gods Die
26%

Total votes: 23

Loredoctor
Lord

Which is the best Gap book?

Post by Loredoctor »

Your opinions?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm a big fan of The Real Story, which is hard to compare to the others because of the change in format; of the remaining four, A Dark and Hungry God Arises is perhaps my favourite. I'm not sure which of those two I'd vote for.

Edit: Voted for Dark and Hungry...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Dark and Hung. I like the action at Billingsgate.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I read them so long ago, I don't remember well enough to vote. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Got to agree with the rest of you, though This Day is a very close second. That's how you end a series. No sprawling 10-book excursion to nowhere. You can definitely tell he had a plan, and stuck to it. I've never read a conclusion to a series like that. It was one long 500 page climax. Fantastic.

But the tension of Billingsgate and seeing Angus in action was the best part of the series. Watching Nick come apart was grueling.

(KiGirl is finally reading this, after 10 years of trying to persuade her. She is on book 2 and loving it.)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Dark and hungry for me too. I was actually expecting chaos and order to be everyone's favorite, interesting.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:Dark and Hung. I like the action at Billingsgate.
Wayfriend, I think you're confusing your adult DVD collection with SRD's sci/fi epic.

>snort<

I agree Dark and Hungry God is the bomb.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Dark and Hungry for me as well. The action on Billingsgate is my favourite part of the whole series.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

The one with Warden's letter to Morn, which was that? The last one, right?

That one.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Coincidentally I started re-reading FK yesterday ;-)

I'll vote later...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

I just finally read the entire series. I personally didn't like Real story or Forbidden Knowledge and thus didn't read the series when it originally posted. But the recent release of Fatal Revenant got me hungry for SRD's writing. After completing FR I went back and read The Gap Cycle and after getting past those two books I was very thrilled with the remainder of the series. I voted for This Day all Gods Must Die: Because in my opinion it is one of the best conclusion books written for a series.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
--Bush (not the President or his Dad)
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

I prefer Chaos.

The Massif V sequence is tops, and I've read a lot of space action sequences. Nothing comes close to maintaining the tension for as long as SRD did here. If I had any complaint, it's that it wasn't the conclusion.

The drama of This Day and Dark and Hung was better, but I felt exhilarated after reading Chaos.
ItisWritten
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

It's hard for me to remember exactly what happened in each book, but Billingsgate and all the scenes between cyborg Angus and Milos were in Dark and Hungry, right? I'm voting for that one.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

I think that the final three Dark&Hungry, C&A, and This Day can make a case for being the best book. I don't want to completly write off RS and FK but they are nothing more than set-up for the other three. In any terms taking all 5 books togather I would argue that is one of the best space SCI-FI's written I would even rank it with Foundation.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hey Cshaw71! I chose C & O-tension, oh the amniotic tension! :P

I'd rank The Gap Cycle above Foundation and put it up with Zindell's "Neverness" books , Daniel's Metaplanetary & Superluminal and three or four specific Ian M. Banks books.
Last edited by danlo on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

It's been a couple of years (edit: well, more like 4 or 5 years now...jeez...) since I've read them. Plus, I read them all right after the other in one summer, so they blur together right now in my mind. And they're all so awesomely powerful.

All I remember now is that the ending of book 4 made my head explode. At least from what I remember.

And the title of the last book, "This Day All Gods Die", is still the best book title I've ever seen.

-jay
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Jay wrote:the ending of book 4 made my head explode
Mine too!
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Malik23 wrote:Got to agree with the rest of you, though This Day is a very close second. That's how you end a series. No sprawling 10-book excursion to nowhere. You can definitely tell he had a plan, and stuck to it. I've never read a conclusion to a series like that. It was one long 500 page climax. Fantastic.

But the tension of Billingsgate and seeing Angus in action was the best part of the series. Watching Nick come apart was grueling.

(KiGirl is finally reading this, after 10 years of trying to persuade her. She is on book 2 and loving it.)
I agree completely. The GAP is one of the most overall satisfying stories I have ever read. It's amazing how it grows so organically from a little story about a few petty people, to an epic tale involving, literally, saving humanity. I voted book 3 personally, but it's really hard for me to divide the gap into different parts in my mind, it's such an organic story. (And I read them after all 5 were out.) Definitely my favorite Donaldson, and maybe my favorite science fiction series. (Dune tapered off to craziness, The Ender saga got a little meh, the first 3 foundation books are awesome, the rest...) I simply remember book 3 as being where I fully comprehended exactly how awesome these books really were, and I would definitely ask anyone trying to read this series to read *at least* to Dark and Hung before giving up!
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

I'd rank The Gap Cycle above Foundation

I loved Foundation, I tend to be one of those that add credence to age. IA to me is the Father of Space Sci-fi so I tend to let that show in my BIAS. Something to do with Dwarfs standing on the shoulders of Giants. IOW would SRD's Gap Series even been written without IA? But Hey, that is just my opinion.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Man, point taken...Foundation is great and the Mule is one of my favorite Sci-Fi characters of all time...but these five books are a hell of a lot more intense.

Return to “The Gap Series”