Hot Sauce Recommendations

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

It was at a stall in a VERY respectable food festival but still, you're right!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Having read your post, I have a couple of salsa recipies that have heat but are flavorful as well. The green one I am especially proud of as I am an Ohio native who lives on the border of Mexico and after a recital where it was served, a lady from Nuevo Laredo, MX asked if she could take some home...

For the bottled sauces, Cholula is a staple at most restaurants (where even Wendy's will ask you if you want Jalapeños at the drive-thru).

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

you're not allowed to post 'i have recipes' without posting them, doc! Menolly will be down on you like a ton of bricks! :lol:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:you're not allowed to post 'i have recipes' without posting them, doc! Menolly will be down on you like a ton of bricks! :lol:
:twisted:

I see my rep precedes me...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Surely our gracious mod would grant a small measure of beginner's immunity to a Watcher with a single-digit post count...a distinction Doc still retains, if only by a scant margin.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Doing his best Haruchai Bow (and dodging falling bricks)

Sorry...as this is my 10th post, I was unaware of the rules. Now I know!

Gringo Green Salsa -- By Dr.G

Boil ¾ lb of Tomatillos (paper-like leaves removed and quartered) for 3 minutes. Remove, drain, and put in blender.

Add each of the following and blend afterwards:

1 bunch green onions
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 kiwi (skinned)
2 tbsp honey
1 jalapeno pepper
1 Serrano pepper
1 bunch Cilantro.
Juice of 1 lime.

If you like a little more texture, you can keep a couple of the Onions on the side, then chop them and stir in after the mix is done. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

A couple of notes:

If you can't find fresh tomatillos, canned ones can be used without too much loss of flavor, but quarter and boil them still, as it allows the other flavors to unfold.

Also, if you are afraid of the heat, cutting the ribs and seeds out of the peppers will get rid of some of the bite. I just wash them and drop them in whole. But I live on the Border of Texas and Mexico, so you will have to do as you think best.

The nice thing about this is that the Kiwi ads thickness without distracting from the flavor, and the sweetness of the Honey is balanced by the fresh cilantro and the bite of the peppers.

You can serve it with chips, or mix it with 8oz. cream cheese, and it makes a great Enchiladas Suisas.

For mixing with eggs, a red salsa is easilly made by blending the following:

3 large tomatoes
1 small white onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 tbsp. minced garlic
chipotle peppers*

*In most stores, there is an ethnic food section with canned jalapeños, look there and find small cans of Chipotle Peppers in adobado sauce. These are smoked Jalepeños, very flavorful, and make a great hot salsa. Chipotle to taste: 1-mild, 2-low heat, 3-medium 4-Nice, 5-nice and hot. There is also dried Chipotle peppers in the spice isle for when dishes need a certain light kick (mac and cheese, Chili, corn pudding,) I don't know how it would taste in the salsa, as I have never tried it. We brine our birds with it for Thanksgiving in orange juice, lime juice, and peppers. Always yummy!

Sorry for the delay. Hope this helps. And I beg your pardon as I stumble up the learning curve, Menolly. A lovely name from Pern, if memory serves me right. Being an opera singer, Harper Halls always have a certain place in my heart.

Dr.G

P.S. -- Edited to point out the obvious of draining the tomatillos before blending them. I'm sure you all knew to do this, but just in case...sorry for the omission.
Last edited by DoctorGamgee on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

That Green Gringo Salsa sounds delicious. For some reason I think a bit of ground cumin and avocado wouldn't do it any harm. And I'd personally add WAY more garlic and chilis (maybe I'd throw in a couple of habaneros instead of the 1 jalapeño - but this might spoil the color).
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Thanks man. I'll def try that green sauce.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

1 (one???????????????????) tbsp minced garlic? I'm with Vader on this! But the original recipe needs tried before we comment, I suppose!

Except....I've been searching for

TEN years

for a supply of tomatillos here, can I find them? :rant:

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Ya cain't never git 'nuff garlic, pappy.

Tomatillos I know under the name of "Physalis" but I just checked and found out it's a TRUCKload of different varieties of physalis out there and tomatillos are just one of them.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I agree...I don't really measure things much, I stick a fork into a jar of minced garlic, heap it up, and dump it in. More certainly won't hurt, but the heat brings the flavor of it out, and the chilling allows it to develop. Have at it...it's a start.

Habaneros have heat, but also flavor...I am not sure they are compatable with the underlying ingredients. But try it and let us know...
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Stonemaybe, I have found some close to you sold online here:

www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Tomatillos-orderby0-p-1-c-261.html

I believe that French is a language possibility (though obviously you don't need it) and that they ship throughout Europe.

You may also try:

www.mexique-fr.com/boutique/

Hope this helps...the British one seems to have more choices, but what you need is beyond my knowledge.

Dr.G
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Chilling sauces in the fridge overnight always do wonders. All kind of weird chemical and physical processes go on and them all enhance flavor. But hey, why ya keepin minced garlic in a jar? Flavor is so elusive it oughta be cut fresh.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Because my garlic plants died out last year...
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Sorry to hear that. Ain't no way to git fresh garlic in supermarkets in Laredo?
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

If you have time, but when you are pressed for it and someone leaves it off the list...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm a fresh garlic fan as well; that minced stuff adds a taste of vinegar or whatever it is that is used to preserve it. Not for me, if I can help it.

Get in the habit of adding a head of garlic to the shopping cart each trip to the store, especially if one is pressed for time that one doesn't shop often. If you start using that instead of jarred stuff, you will find the head is pretty much gone between trips. And if not, a head of garlic lasts a pretty long time.

Although, I do also use granulated garlic. I feel it gives a very different flavor, and I use it in addition to fresh garlic. The two together are wonderful.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm kinda spoiled living in the mission district in SF, tomatillos, fresh garlic, fresh peppers of all kinds are a dime a dozen in any direction you decide to walk out of my apartment. Hispanic and Asian grocery stores outnumber the american based stores by the tons here. Even the Duc Loi has an ethnic aisle with tons of that stuff and fresh in the veggie aisle.

The recipe sounded amazing until I got to the part about the amount of cilantro. I have to moderate the cilantro because I have a sensitivity to it and if I use too much it ruins a dish for me quite easily. I would also have to cook the onions some since I also have a bad reaction to raw onions as well. I'll make a few adjustments and give it a try and let you guys know how it turns out.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

DoctorGamgee wrote:Stonemaybe, I have found some close to you sold online here:

www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Tomatillos-orderby0-p-1-c-261.html

I believe that French is a language possibility (though obviously you don't need it) and that they ship throughout Europe.

You may also try:

www.mexique-fr.com/boutique/

Hope this helps...the British one seems to have more choices, but what you need is beyond my knowledge.

Thanks doc! Never thought to look online d'oh!

does this
El Sarape Crushed Tomatillos - Tomatillo Salsa 215g

mean that the tomatillos have already been used to make a salsa and it's the salsa in the can? or just that the crushed tomatillos can be used to make salsa? It really is too early for my brain to work properly...

Edit - can we keep the garlic discussion to the garlic thread please?
What do you mean, there isn't one?

DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I wouldn't trust it to be pure without reading the ingredients. However, having purchased them here, I can vouch for this one:
Tomatillos - La Costena Whole Tomatillos - Tomatillos Enteros 800g
Also, Camraman, you know your taste and dietary needs, adjust as you see fit. I have a sister who dislikes Cilantro (she finds it waxy) and yet she loves this recipe. It is a recipe, not holy writ...have fun with it. Try a little and add 'until you are happy with it. Let us know how you like it...

Dr.G

Return to “The Galley”