IC Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

I'm Murrin
Are you?

IC Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard

Post by I'm Murrin »

I noticed we don't have a topic for this one.
The second of Esselmont's Malazan novels, and the first full length, big-scale effort from Erikson's friend and co-creator of the MBotF universe. Return of the Crimson Guard will pick up where Erikson's Bonehunters left off, in the old centre of the Empire, Quon Tali.
The return of the mercenary company the Crimson Guard could not have come at a worse time for the Malazan Empire. Drained by constant warfare, weakened by betrayal and rivalries, many see the grip of Empress Laseen weakening. Conquered kingdoms and principalities test their old independence. Into this gathering civil war on Quon Tali - the Empire's homeland - comes the Guard. And with their return comes the memory of their hundred year old vow: undying opposition to the existence of the Empire. Yet, rivalries and betrayals stalk the Guard as well - elements of its elite, the Avowed, scheme to open paths to even greater power. Ancient potent entities, Ascendants, also lend a hand exploiting all sides to further their own arcane ends. Meanwhile, a swordsman, Traveller, and his companion Ereko, move from one strange encounter to another in a mysterious dance meant ultimately to bring the swordsman to a final confrontation from which none have ever returned. As the Crimson Guard gathers itself from around the globe, Empress Laseen faces more immediate threats. To feed her wars she has bled dry provincial garrisons across Quon Tali and now regional nationalists see their chance.

Behind their insurrections stand the veteran commanders of Laseen's predecessor, Emperor Kellanved. These generals and powerful mages, the "Old Hands," have lost patience with what they see as Laseen's mismanagement and have selected their own replacement. Yet, there are hints that Laseen may be using the uprisings to draw out and finally eliminate these last irksome survivors of her predecessor's rule...
Return of the Crimson Guard is scheduled for release in August '08.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

wooo hooodeeee!!! :biggrin: can't wait!!! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Damn! Well, I'm nowhere near Bonehunters, but this is still exciting!!! I've only had a brief taste of the Crimson Guard in GotM, and would LOVE to see more! :R :D :R
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Isn't this a sequel to Night of Knives?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Not really. Night of Knives was set ten years before them ain series--this book is set after The Bonehunters. If you've read Reaper's Gale (minor spoiler for RG, and MT sorta)
Spoiler
you'll know that Iron Bars' squad is crossing Korelri toward Quon Tali, where all the previously-scattered Crimson Guard are planning to meet up.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Can somebody list all of the non "Book of the Fallen" books? NoK, RotCG, a couple of Korbal/Buch books... I have no idea what's out there.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Erikson:
Bauchelain & Broach novellas:
Blood Follows
The Healthy Dead
The Lees of Laughter's End

Esselmont:
Night of Knives
Return of the Crimson Guard

That's it, as far as Malazan books go.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I just submitted a purchase request for my library to order these. I'll give it couple of months, but at these prices I doubt I'll see them. If they don't appear in the library catalog as "on order" after that, I'll try ILLiad instead and see what happens.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I don't know if any of them are available in the US. Certainly not all of them are. But in a month, the 8th book in the series come out here, so it's not like you need to worry about getting these non-series books immediately.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

true 'nuff...

But my guys are totally enthralled with Malaz. It will probably be more than a month before the library gets TtH in. If these other books become available there, it will ease their wait I think.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Picked this up from the shop today. From the looks of the synopsis on the back it is set before Toll the Hounds (kind of expected, but it looks like there's a character whose storyline runs through both books).
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

something momentous happens in RotCG!!! something really big!! :twisted:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

hello!!!!!????? has anybody else read this yet???????

i'm dyin here!!! somebody else read it quick!!! 8O

(trying NOT to go over to the malazan board and see what they're all saying about it!!)
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Nope. Where the hell did you get your copy??? I'd LOVELOVELOVE to get one, but don't want to order from England just yet.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I know a local book store that has RotCG and I'm hoping to buy it next pay day. If Xmas shopping doesn't totally deplete my bank account. I've just finished RG so I need something new to read.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

OK, I'll just say there's a bunch of spoilers below. :D

So I have 200 pages to go. Really, it's a fantastic book!

One of my favorite moments of ALL the books is when Traveller skewers Kallor!!!!! :D Man, Traveller rocks!!!

Interesting to see some of the characters.
-Toc the Older??? (Can't wait to see what happens, since something pretty serious just happened to him! hehe)
-Urko!
-Osserc!! (I've always really liked Osserc, for some reason.)
-Very interesting to see as much of Laseen as I have so far, and I expect there's some good stuff coming with her in the next 200 pages.

And how about that Ryllandaras!! How cool is he?!?! And what could be even cooler?? The lone swordsman, Rell, holding him off!!!!

Ereko... *sigh* Such a good guy. Such a sad thing.

And, oh yeah, the Crimson Guard! :lol: Very happy to see Cowl, after having read about him driving off Silanah and holding off Anomander! 8O Skinner seems like quite a handful. Can't wait to see what his story is.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Surprisingly, this is among my top few favorite Malazan books! Surprising because I didn't think anyone could come close to Erikson. But this is superb!!

Yeah, Luci, a major event, eh? 8O :lol: Actually, not too far into the book, I was thinking that might happen. No particular reason, I just kinda had a hunch.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Finished it. Thanks to a certain T'lan Imass who loaned me his copy. :biggrin:

8O 8O 8O OMG, Luci!!! Yeah, kind of a big thing!

So this is set after "Bonehunters"? (Well, yeah, clearly...) So all the fighting "for the Empire" that goes on in the books after that is...um.... Wow. 8O
Spoiler
Now I want to see a smackdown in the last book between Tehol Beddict and Mallick Rel... I bet Tehol will win, too!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I assume it comes between RG and TtH. Of course, I don't have my copy with me at the moment, so I can't check dates. :lol:
aliantha wrote:So all the fighting "for the Empire" that goes on in the books after that is...um.... Wow. 8O
RIGHT???
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

For some reason I'm reminded of a protest song from the Vietnam era:
One, two, three,
What are we fighting for?
Who cares? I don't give a damn!
Next stop is Vietnam...
(Your book's already on its way back to you, good sir. <bows> )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”