Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 17 The Man With Two Faces

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 17 The Man With Two Faces

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Harry is shocked to find that the man standing in the chamber is in fact Professor Quirrell and NOT Professor Snape. They have a conversation in which Quirrell reveals that he tried to kill Harry during the Quiddich match and that Snape was actually trying to save Harry. Quirrell also tells Harry that Snape hated Harry's father, James. Harry realizes that Quirrell is standing in front of the mirror of Erised. Harry realizes that his best bet is to keep Quirrell distracted from the mirror to buy himself some time so he keeps asking him questions. They go on for a bit more then a voice from inside Quirrell's turban telling Quirrell to use Harry to try to get the stone from the mirror. Harry is able to extract the stone but thinks that Quirrell doesn't know so he lies to him and tries to get away. Voldemort tells Harry to hand over the stone and Quirrell unwraps his turban to show that Voldemort is in fact sticking out the back of his head. Voldemort tells Harry about the death of his parents and then tells Quirrell to kill Harry. When Quirrell tries to restrain Harry his skin burns on contact with Harry's skin. Harry ends up grabbing Quirrell in the face and then clinging onto his arm to keep Quirrell from killing him.

Harry wakes up in the hospital wing and learns from Dumbledore that the stone has been destroyed, that the whole school knows about Professor Quirrell and then tells him the secret of how the mirror was set up to guard the stone. Dumbledore tells him that only someone who wanted to find the stone but not to use it to get gold and long life would be able to get the stone. He avoids Harry's questioning about why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry. He also explains why Quirrell was unable to touch Harry. Later Ron and Hermione come to visit Harry and find out what really happened and they tell Harry that he must come to the end of term feast. After that Hagrid visits and gives Harry a photo album with pictures of his parents. Harry later attends the end of year feast and Gryffindor gets awarded enough points to beat Slytherin for the house cup and they all pack up and go home.

We get an interesting glimpse into the motivations of Snape in this chapter. We find out that he hated James and also that James saved Snape's life. We also see Dumbledore avoid giving Harry an answer to what may be the most important question Harry will ever ask in his life. Also at this point Harry now knows for sure that he was in fact Voldemort's target and that his parents were simply in the way. This is something that will haunt Harry throughout the series. One of my favorite moments in this chapter is the final points awarding when Dumbledore gives Neville the ten points that put Gryffindor over the top for the house cup win for his bravery. I loves me some Neville.

Some of the weaker points of this chapter and they reflect upon the whole book. I had to really stretch my ability to reconcile Quirrell's ability to shake hands with Harry on the day of their first meeting and his inability to touch Harry now. It's not very clear when the actual possession takes place. I had to go back and think about it. I finally figured that Voldemort must have taken up residence in Quirrell AFTER meeting Harry that day and this is implied by a very obscure offhand aside comment by Quirrell, "When I failed to steal the stone at Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me...decided he would have to keep a closer eye on me." I wish that this could have been a little more clearly written. I also think that Dumbledore's explanation about how the mirror worked was a little weak. After all, Quirrell did not want or plan to use the stone for himself. He only wanted to find the stone to give away. So technically I think Quirrell did qualify as only wanting to find the stone and not use it himself. I realize the arguments that will ensue and I have come to accept the very fine line of distinction by rationalizing it to myself but I think this plot device was written very grey.

Discuss....
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Dissection: SS/PS ~ Chapter 17 The Man With Two Faces

Post by Menolly »

Cameraman Jenn wrote: We get an interesting glimpse into the motivations of Snape in this chapter. We find out that he hated James and also that James saved Snape's life.

And yet, besides a "so that's why he's been so mean to Harry all year" reaction, how many of us guessed where this would lead later on when we first read it?
Cameraman Jenn wrote:We also see Dumbledore avoid giving Harry an answer to what may be the most important question Harry will ever ask in his life. Also at this point Harry now knows for sure that he was in fact Voldemort's target and that his parents were simply in the way. This is something that will haunt Harry throughout the series.
And as we all ask later when Dumbledore comes clean...how much would have changed if he has answered Harry's question now?

Of course, the series would have been totally different if he had...
Cameraman Jenn wrote:One of my favorite moments in this chapter is the final points awarding when Dumbledore gives Neville the ten points that put Gryffindor over the top for the house cup win for his bravery. I loves me some Neville.
I never appreciated Neville until I started reading your posts on him before the last book was published, Jenn. I was touched by the St. Mungoes scene, but never picked up on his potential. Thanks for sharing your love for him with the board. :)
Cameraman Jenn wrote:Some of the weaker points of this chapter and they reflect upon the whole book. I had to really stretch my ability to reconcile Quirrell's ability to shake hands with Harry on the day of their first meeting and his inability to touch Harry now. It's not very clear when the actual possession takes place. I had to go back and think about it. I finally figured that Voldemort must have taken up residence in Quirrell AFTER meeting Harry that day and this is implied by a very obscure offhand aside comment by Quirrell, "When I failed to steal the stone at Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me...decided he would have to keep a closer eye on me." I wish that this could have been a little more clearly written.

I too have wondered about that. Did Quirrell go on his trip where he came across Voldemort after meeting Harry? Was he a supporter of Voldemort when he and Harry met? Or did all of that happen after?

I definitely agree with the offhand comment being when Voldemort entered into Quirrel. Things would have probably gone very differently inside Gringotts if Voldemort had been there when the attempt to steal the Stone took place. Even though the Stone was already at Hogwarts at that time.
Cameraman Jenn wrote:I also think that Dumbledore's explanation about how the mirror worked was a little weak. After all, Quirrell did not want or plan to use the stone for himself. He only wanted to find the stone to give away. So technically I think Quirrell did qualify as only wanting to find the stone and not use it himself. I realize the arguments that will ensue and I have come to accept the very fine line of distinction by rationalizing it to myself but I think this plot device was written very grey.
*nodding*

Good point.

Thanks for taking us home, Jenn.
Great job, everyone.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Actually, Quirrell did want to use the stone--among other things, to end his possession by Voldemort. Whereas Harry didn't want to use the stone at all. Hence it does make sense. One had to want to find the stone, but not USE it.

I figured from the first that Snape genuinely hated Harry, but felt bound to protect him from a sense of personal honor. And I was right--albeit in a very different way than we are initially led to believe.

When you think about it, all the clues are really there, but of course Rowling got better as a writer as the series went on.

Totally agree. Neville rocks. He and Luna are my fave students other than the Trinity. Hell, I even wanted Harry to end up with Luna, and Ginny with Neville!
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've just reread the first half of the book, so perhaps I can help with the timeline?

The first time Harry meets Quirrell, it is a Diagon Alley, a month before school starts. This is where they shake hands.

Now at that time, Quirrell is all jittery and nervous. Harry is told that he got that way after a trip to eastern Europe where he had run into vampires and hags.

My theory:
Quirrell ran into Voldemort on that trip, which is how he got the nervous condition, but he was not possessed/fully possessed at that time. However, Voldemort kept in close contact with Quirrell, or perhaps had some sort of mindlink with him.

When Quirrell met Harry at Diagon Alley, he let Voldemort know, or Voldemort knew through the link.

Voldemort saw his big chance to watch/kill his rival Harry, and took advantage of that month between the meeting and the start of school to take over/integrate with Quirrell.
Love as thou wilt.

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I agree that this is so about the timeline. I just wish it was more clearly expressed rather than barely implied. That's my issue.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I agree that this is so about the timeline. I just wish it was more clearly expressed rather than barely implied. That's my issue.
I'm in complete agreement with you; it is a major plot point and I wish she had stated a bit more explicitly how and when it occurred - even if it was stated as a theory by Dumbledore or the like.
Love as thou wilt.

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

ZACKLY!

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”