Creation of the Forestals

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Creation of the Forestals

Post by emotional leper »

We're told that the Consciousness of the One Forest created the Forestals. Are we ever told how they are created? Were they created from whole cloth, ex nihilo, or were they created the same way Caerroil Wildwood created Caer-Caveral?
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

I got the impression (no evidence naturally) that Caer Caveral was an exception in that he was a human turned into a Forestal... the others were outgrowths of the forests and the Colossus.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I had that impression also... Though I also have the impression that we may just see the formation of a new forestal by the end of the series.. OR we'll go back in time to when one was created..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

I think that the Forestals such as Wildwood had to be made similarly to Hile Troy. With the varied appearances of other creatures in TCTC (Ur-Viles, Cavewights, etc), that the Forestals having a specifically human appearance is purposeful.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I always took it that Forestalls took the form of those they appeared to.
(But I think I made that up myself)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's a great thread about this somewhere but I cannot find it. (Damn that search function!) I think CMJenn started it. Or Waddley.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

I searched the GI, didn't see anything, and submitted a question.

Mayhaps SRD will condescend to answer this groveler. :P
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

So, I don't have a copy of The One Tree... but doesn't Findail, when explaining Appointment, tell them a bit of info that touches heavily on the origin of the original Forestals? (Of course, I found it pretty murky when I read it, like most Elohim-speak.)

Or was that just about the Colossus? Though it's also true I don't quite understand the relationship between the Colossus and the Forestals.

(So, basically, I just sit on my rear end and sugges that other people should type out stuff from the books. :biggrin: )
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

emotional leper wrote:I think that the Forestals such as Wildwood had to be made similarly to Hile Troy. With the varied appearances of other creatures in TCTC (Ur-Viles, Cavewights, etc), that the Forestals having a specifically human appearance is purposeful.
but what if they only appear as humans when they are dealing as humans? :?

we do not know what they look like at other times... :?
Love as thou wilt.

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Interesting question. I would like to know the answer. :D

I looked through three pages so far, but I didn't see that thread so far. :(

Bran Pendragon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bran Pendragon »

I've always taken it that they were the Earthpower of the forest, given consciousness and personality from the 'rended' (not that that exact word is used) elohim who was Appointed. Isn't there a comment about how the elohim 'showed the forest' how to form the forestals? It reminds me of how Nom rended samedhi raver and gained 'consciousness' or at least the ability to express himself.

If I had to guess, I'd have said that they were formed complete by the Forest, rather than from a person like Caer Caveral.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe the forrest Appointed one of their largest and oldest to become the forestal of each remaining forrest.

Then Again, the forrest could have created forrestals the same way that troy was created..the story said all who entered garroting deep never returned....maybe they were appointed as an forrestal and turned to a stump until needed.

I dont recall any reference to how the forestals were created other than they were created from the conciousness of the forest. no mixing directions or anything like that if thats what your looking for..but i bet there are some references in the cut material SRD had to remove from his books before they were published...
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Lina Heartlistener wrote:So, I don't have a copy of The One Tree... but doesn't Findail, when explaining Appointment, tell them a bit of info that touches heavily on the origin of the original Forestals? (Of course, I found it pretty murky when I read it, like most Elohim-speak.)

Or was that just about the Colossus? Though it's also true I don't quite understand the relationship between the Colossus and the Forestals.

(So, basically, I just sit on my rear end and sugges that other people should type out stuff from the books. :biggrin: )
Findail tells the story of the one Forrest, leading up to the Appointment of Kasteniesen during the trip to the one tree...

The colosus was placed to pretty much fry any raver who tried to set foot on the upper land from what i remember, and the forestals were placed to give the forest the ability to protect itself from ignorant people hacking away at it. Garroting deep apparently had the only remaining forestal because the other forests didnt have the ability to move to protect itself anymore. but the lords thought it was still better to be safe than sorry with Grimmerdhore forrest. they stopped and spoke to the forrest as if there could possibly still be a forestal in Grimmerdhore. also I believe the Forestals could use the Colosus if they were close enough.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”