How tall is a Cavewight?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

How tall is a Cavewight?

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

You are wandering through the Wightwarrens of Mount Thunder. Suddenly you come across a gangrel, hunched back creature with lava red eyes.

Question: How tall is the said creature?
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I got the impression they're like 7-8 feet tall.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

I always got the impression that they were slightly taller than humans, but not as tall as Giants. I'd have to research my books to see if it's mentioned explicitly.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Taller than a Grue.

I never actually got the impression they were all that tall -- just massive.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Relayer wrote:I got the impression they're like 7-8 feet tall.
Ditto!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I see them as taller than the average human if upright, but shorter than human when hunched (i.e. all the time), and very wide, though for some reason also with spindly limbs supporting their huge hands.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I got the impression they are built like blacksmiths--huge shoulders, arms and hands, but normal bodies. I also got the impression that they were slightly taller than humans--somewhere around 7 feet tall at the most.

Bran Pendragon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bran Pendragon »

Around 8 foot tall, hypothetically, if they were to stand upright.
Alan
Woodhelvennin

Post by Alan »

Sorry - was running...
Down under where the lights are low...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Aha!
In [u]White Gold Weilder[/u] was wrote:Along the rim of the pit, a party of Cavewights charged into the rocklight.

At least a score of them. Upright on their long limbs, they were almost as tall as Pitchwife.
And
In [u]The Wounded Land[/u] was wrote:The fourth figure stood no more than an arm's reach taller than Covenant. He looked like a cripple. ... Honninscrave spoke the deformed Giant's name: "Pitchwife."
Therefore, upright Cavewights are no more than almost an arm's reach taller than Covenant.

Let's call it 7 to 7½ feet tall.

:bow:
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:Aha!
In [u]White Gold Weilder[/u] was wrote:Along the rim of the pit, a party of Cavewights charged into the rocklight.

At least a score of them. Upright on their long limbs, they were almost as tall as Pitchwife.
And
In [u]The Wounded Land[/u] was wrote:The fourth figure stood no more than an arm's reach taller than Covenant. He looked like a cripple. ... Honninscrave spoke the deformed Giant's name: "Pitchwife."
Therefore, upright Cavewights are no more than almost an arm's reach taller than Covenant.

:clap:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

And

I'd never thought of them as that tall, human sized more or less. I'll have to change my image of them. :)
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I always thought of them as tall. :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

Standing erect, they were nearly as tall as Giants.
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
lord.trax
Stonedownor

Post by lord.trax »

Hmmm... I've always thought of Cavewight as less taller than humans (don't ask me why)...
Serbian epic poem:
"...Zeman došo, valja vojevati,
Za krst časni krvcu proljevati
Svako svoje sa pokaje stare..."
"...The time has come,
It's time to battle
To spill our blood for The Holy Cross,
To avenge our elders..."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

And

Good research. But how often are Cavewights upright? I think of them as quite hunched.
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

Perhaps thinking of them hunched over is because they are always underground. Trying not to hit thier heads on the low rocks and such. When I am caving I have a tendancy to hunch over even if I know there is nothing to hit my head on. I do not do this outside where I won't hit my head, perhaps they would do the same.
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep..about 7-8 feet tall, between Giants and Humans. It took alot of them to take down Foamfollower during the battle of Soaring Woohelvin, but when they were changed by the sunbane it was said they mutated as large as a horse.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

hmmmm...if they were almost as tall as pitchwife and pitchwife only stood half again as tall as TC..... sounds good to me 7 to 8ft maybe some of the bigger ones would get up to 8 anyway. considering foamfollower was 2x as tall as TC that would have made Foamfollower about 4 feet taller than the biggest cavewight.

And I dont remember anyone not even Giants having to hunch over when they were running and fighting through the wightwarrens, Cavewights really have no reason to be hunched over unless they had alot of smaller tunnels that went unmentioned. I think the hunched stance was just how they were built. like the Urviles being built for running both upright and on all fours. .
they were built for low to the ground strength. standing tall they might even reach 9 feet.

To me, I pictured the cavewights to look alot like the mutated Gremlins from the movie Gremlins of course. even the stance, but with red laval eyes.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Are they bigger than a bread box ?
Wide Eyed Stupid

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”