Kruppe

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Kruppe

Post by Fist and Faith »

Jenn and I were chatting, and we were discussing Kruppe's nature. He's powerful enough to be a god, for sure. My argument against it, however, is that K'rul doesn't seem to know he's one. At least there's no hint that he knows it in their conversations. But if he's not, then what the hell is he?! I'm thinking a dream of Burn's? :D

Maybe he's explained more after HoC?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

OK, what gives? Nobody's interested in Kruppe?? Is he a god? And Ascendant? A mage that puts Quickben to shame??

I'll bet Murrin knows, but isn't spoiling it for me. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Sometimes I think Kruppe turning out to be K'rul's elder god brother would cheapen him. What's cool about kruppe is that he seems to be an everyday human.

One thing IMO...in times like the part where he taunted brood and got him to swing his hammer, he was getting protection/help from k'rul.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I was thinking he was a high priest/avatar, along the lines of Iskaral Pust, of an Elder God, but I can't remember to whom. Mael would be fitting, but I don't see any solid evidence to support that.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I think he's the elder god of jelly donuts.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:I think he's the elder god of jelly donuts.
Well maybe, that would mean he's even more powerful than k'rul though (you would think jelly donuts would be worshipped more than the god of...paths and warrens I guess?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Gotta remember, though, that whatever he is, it's a lot more than Quick Ben can figure out. That means he's damned powerful! Who else have we run into that you wouldn't think Quick can at least figure out, even if not defeat?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Has Quick met Pust yet? :lol:

Erikson has made a point, I think, of including a number of mortals of "singular intellect"--Kruppe, Quick, Pust, Tehol. Quick is probably the sanest of them. :lol: It's possible that Kellanved himself was one such.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Quick has a dozen souls and warrens backing up his intellect. Pust has Shadowthrone backing up his. (I don't know Tehol yet.)

What's Kruppe got? The way he cheats at cards so Quick can't tell how says something pretty big. Or is it just Oponn? It's true that he hasn't (as of books 1-4) demonstrated anything more than that incredible bit of luck and his intellect.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Fist and Faith wrote:(I don't know Tehol yet.)
That's because you keep screwing around reading the first 4 books, with Midnight Tides languishing on your night-stand.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Holsety wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
I think he's the elder god of jelly donuts.
Well maybe, that would mean he's even more powerful than k'rul though (you would think jelly donuts would be worshipped more than the god of...paths and warrens I guess?
Would that make K'rul short for Kruller?
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
That's because you keep screwing around reading the first 4 books, with Midnight Tides languishing on your night-stand.
Hey, only a thousand pages to go before MT! :D :lol: I started the reread when they were talking about Kulp in HoC, and it took me several minutes to remember who he was. At least to remember that that character from DG was named Kulp. But just too too too much going on to remember it well.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Hey, only a thousand pages to go before MT! :D :lol: I started the reread when they were talking about Kulp in HoC, and it took me several minutes to remember who he was. At least to remember that that character from DG was named Kulp. But just too too too much going on to remember it well.
Man kulp was awesome though... :( Plus he gave us our first good explanation of magic and warrens :(
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, he was great! Nice guy, too.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

who's kulp again? :?

annnnnd...
murrin wrote:Erikson has made a point, I think, of including a number of mortals of "singular intellect"--Kruppe, Quick, Pust, Tehol. Quick is probably the sanest of them. It's possible that Kellanved himself was one such.
you forgot to include Kalam Mekhar in that group.

anyhow, i think Kruppe is more than just a mortal with a singular intellect.
much more.
i don't know what yet but...
i think we're gonna find out pretty soon!!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Lucimay wrote:who's kulp again? :?

annnnnd...
murrin wrote:Erikson has made a point, I think, of including a number of mortals of "singular intellect"--Kruppe, Quick, Pust, Tehol. Quick is probably the sanest of them. It's possible that Kellanved himself was one such.
you forgot to include Kalam Mekhar in that group.

anyhow, i think Kruppe is more than just a mortal with a singular intellect.
much more.
i don't know what yet but...
i think we're gonna find out pretty soon!!!
Kulp is a meanas mage in Deadhouse Gates. He was with Coltaine's legion, the only surviving cadre mage. He goes with gesler and co. and helps save heboric and the rest, but he dies during the fight with gryllen. Most of his action was against an otataral-frenzied mage, and also Olar Ethil and some other forces channel power to help him get out of the Nascent and back home.

Kalam is incredible at quickly figuring out battle strategies to get him through just about anything, but I don't think he's as much of a long term plotter like the others are.

I think kellanved belongs on that list way before Pust does.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Holsety wrote: Kulp is a meanas mage in Deadhouse Gates. He was with Coltaine's legion, the only surviving cadre mage. He goes with gesler and co. and helps save heboric and the rest, but he dies during the fight with gryllen. Most of his action was against an otataral-frenzied mage, and also Olar Ethil and some other forces channel power to help him get out of the Nascent and back home.

Kalam is incredible at quickly figuring out battle strategies to get him through just about anything, but I don't think he's as much of a long term plotter like the others are.

I think kellanved belongs on that list way before Pust does.
ahhhhh THAT kulp! :biggrin: righton. thanks for the refresher.

ok...so i've got a crush on Kalam. :P

agree about kellanved.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Lucimay wrote:who's kulp again? :?
There's my point! :lol: Just so much going on!

Yeah, difficult for Kellanved to not be on that list. Not sure he's among the smartest gods, but to have become one must mean he was among the smartest humans.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Though it is worth saying he seems more devious as a god - I believe it implies that Dancer/Cotillion did trust Kellanved, but doesn't (completely) trust Shadowthrone. Probably sometime in Bonehunters because that's where most of Cotillion's POVs are, I think.
Nequam
Servant of the Land

Re: Kruppe

Post by Nequam »

Fist and Faith wrote:Jenn and I were chatting, and we were discussing Kruppe's nature. He's powerful enough to be a god, for sure. My argument against it, however, is that K'rul doesn't seem to know he's one. At least there's no hint that he knows it in their conversations. But if he's not, then what the hell is he?! I'm thinking a dream of Burn's? :D

Maybe he's explained more after HoC?
What exactly makes you think he is so powerful? I wouldn't say he is powerful enough to be a god, but I would say he is the smartest human in existence. All of his power comes from his super-geniousness. :P
That little run in with Caladan Brood was help from good old K'rul. At least that's how I saw it.

But even if he was a god, why should K'rul know anything about it? He has been dormant for centuries! Only awakened in the recent past and can only manifest himself through the inner warren created inside Kruppe's brain.

...and no, sadly he isn't explained much (well at all really), and not even seen again until Toll the Hounds. Which isn't out.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings."

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”