Proof that the Land isnt a dream.

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Proof that the Land isnt a dream.

Post by Mr. Broken »

It is my opinion that proof of the Lands reality can be found near the end of White Gold Weilder. If the Land were only a dream the story would have faded to black at the moment of TC's death, winked out so to speak. The Lands existence after his demise compells me to believe that it was always there with or without him. Personally I never believed in the Land as an extension of Covenants imagination, most delusional people have a tendency to be selfserving, even meglomaniacal, and do not imagine themselves to be diseased, rapists, who dont count.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

the law of life and death had been broken, the rules could have changed but i like your theory better.....
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Nice idea.. But some argue that Covenant is still in the hospital after being hit by a car in LFB.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
wayfriend

Re: Proof that the Land isnt a dream.

Post by wayfriend »

Something Broken wrote:If the Land were only a dream the story would have faded to black at the moment of TC's death, winked out so to speak.
What if the dream belongs to Linden as well?

What if Covenant is dreaming while he is in the afterlife?

Just because it's not possible in the real world doesn't mean it's not possible in Covenant's world. It is, after all, a world of fiction.

If you think about it, even the idea that someone could have such a dream AT ALL isn't really possible in the first place. If you grant that it is possible, but then start saying that other things aren't possible, you're really cherrypicking what you choose to admit is possible.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Proof that the Land isnt a dream.

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

wayfriend wrote:If you think about it, even the idea that someone could have such a dream AT ALL isn't really possible in the first place.
WF, I said almost this EXACT same thing to my husband months ago...

He was like, "Actually I have had dreams on about that level of complexity, and having both the depth and [temporal] breadth."

And I objected, "But nobody could think up something that worked out that perfectly..." and then I stopped because SRD did. So an author could, apparently.

And Covenant was also an author.

So I had a contradiction, and had to admit I was wrong.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Talk about cherry picking, I said nothing about the possible, or the impossible, some things have to be taken for granted, especially events that occur in the so called real world, a corpse is pretty definite. As far as it being a shared dream, well that would pretty much be acknowledgement that the Land isnt real (and before you start in I know that this is a work of fiction), I choose (cherry pick) to believe that the land is real because it seems to exist outside of Covenants mortality.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

Rene Descartes challenged us all by claiming that there is no way to discern between a dream and reality. Whatever one can perceive can also be dreamed - although if SRD ever does do something like end the books with TC in the hospital and the land being nothing but a dream - I for one will go ballistic.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

I'm with Sill. We should collectively hunt SRD down and inject him with leprosy bacteria. I'd never get over the freaking out fit I'd have. Jeez, what cruel joke to play after 30+ years!!!!!!!!!
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Sill wrote:Rene Descartes challenged us all by claiming that there is no way to discern between a dream and reality. Whatever one can perceive can also be dreamed - although if SRD ever does do something like end the books with TC in the hospital and the land being nothing but a dream - I for one will go ballistic.
I read soemthing SRD wrote in the Gradual Interview.. he was a fan of the dark tower books apparently because someone asked him this,

"Dangerous Dave from Denver: I am still trying to forgive Stephen King for the way he ended "The Dark Tower" series. Can you comfort your "gentle readers" that "The Last Chronicles" will not suffer a similar fate?"

and his reply was this

"SRD: This is a huge spoiler, but I can't resist.
I would rather be dead than leave my readers (and myself) feeling the way I felt when I finished "The Dark Tower"."

now i take that to mean it may not be a happy ending but one we can all live with...hahah if that reassures you at all.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I cant finish Dark Tower, my damn book club wont send them to me in the right order, as it stands Ive completed Wolves of the Calla, and received part 7, but not Song of Susana.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

Rocksister wrote:I'm with Sill. We should collectively hunt SRD down and inject him with leprosy bacteria. I'd never get over the freaking out fit I'd have. Jeez, what cruel joke to play after 30+ years!!!!!!!!!
Rocksister,

It would probably be like one of the Salman Rushde Satanic Verses kinda things where SRD had to go into hiding after his last book. I don't think Kevin's Watch or any of the SRD fans would survive.

Come to think of it - will the Watch survive after the last book anyway?

Flame on! :biggrin:
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

Sill wrote:
Come to think of it - will the Watch survive after the last book anyway?

Flame on! :biggrin:
I think it will... My understanding is it was here before the last Chronicles, right?

Besides, someone has to be around to tell SRD what it all means. That may as well be us.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Something Broken wrote:I cant finish Dark Tower, my damn book club wont send them to me in the right order, as it stands Ive completed Wolves of the Calla, and received part 7, but not Song of Susana.
Throw Away book 7 and make up your own ending. thats what i wish i would have done... I love SK but man did he kick a dog when it was down.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”