Gap Quiz

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Coz she guessed Trumpet was going to Beckman’s lab to test the mutagen immunity drug and therefore guessed where Trumpet would enter human space? Or something :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well done StevieG. :D
But Sorus had guessed well when she'd selected her position near the frontier. And after that, her guesswork had risen to the level of pure inspiration...

...Trumpet's strange behaviour had given her the information she'd needed...the kind of information which made exalted guesswork possible.

"Give chase" Taverner had ordered her...

...Sorus hadn't bothered to argue with him. Or to obey him. Instead she'd issued orders of her own, building up velocity as hard as she could for an entry into human space and the gap...

...Driving her crew to their limits, Sorus Chatelaine had brought Soar by great leaps to the Lab. Deaner Beckmann's brilliant - and brilliantly defended - exercise in futility.
Your question. :D

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Ok, I'll be back soon :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Hashi saved the day at the GCES Bill of Severance meeting by identifying Alt/Imposs as a kaze.

However, Chief Mandich was not happy with Hashi and asked some questions:
'Director Lebwohl,' he began without preamble, 'I need to know how you knew that man was a kaze.'

Hashi's blue eyes glittered dangerously behind his smeared lenses. 'Do you?' he countered in a tone of false amiability. No doubt Mandich meant, How were you able to spot him when we couldn't?

'I do.' Chief Mandich was a blunt man with a blunt face; stolid as bone. His nearly colorless gaze had the dull tenacity of a pit bull's. 'And then I need to know why you didn't do anything to stop him sooner.

'Something about him made you suspicious. You left your seat and moved around the hall specifically so that you could get close to him. But you didn't say anything.' Mandich spoke with undisguised bitterness. He hated his own failures. 'We're just lucky nobody in the hall was killed. If you'd bothered to warn us, a GCES Security guard would still be alive. Ensign Crender would still have his left hand.

'With respect, Director Lebwohl,' he sneered, 'what the hell did you think you were doing?'
What was Hashi's response? :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Post by Avatar »

This is your definition of "soon"? ;)

--A
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

These days - it’s about standard isn’t it? :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

No comment. ;)

Also, I have no idea what the answer is. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

StevieG wrote:Hashi saved the day at the GCES Bill of Severance meeting by identifying Alt/Imposs as a kaze.

However, Chief Mandich was not happy with Hashi and asked some questions:
'Director Lebwohl,' he began without preamble, 'I need to know how you knew that man was a kaze.'

Hashi's blue eyes glittered dangerously behind his smeared lenses. 'Do you?' he countered in a tone of false amiability. No doubt Mandich meant, How were you able to spot him when we couldn't?

'I do.' Chief Mandich was a blunt man with a blunt face; stolid as bone. His nearly colorless gaze had the dull tenacity of a pit bull's. 'And then I need to know why you didn't do anything to stop him sooner.

'Something about him made you suspicious. You left your seat and moved around the hall specifically so that you could get close to him. But you didn't say anything.' Mandich spoke with undisguised bitterness. He hated his own failures. 'We're just lucky nobody in the hall was killed. If you'd bothered to warn us, a GCES Security guard would still be alive. Ensign Crender would still have his left hand.

'With respect, Director Lebwohl,' he sneered, 'what the hell did you think you were doing?'
What was Hashi's response? :D
Love the quote, StevieG! I think Hashi said he was waiting for a chance to get the kazi Nathan t out of the general assembly room before Alt's accomplice could trigger the explosive device in Alt.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Thanks CH for your response :D

I'll have to look it up again :lol: but I'm pretty sure that isn't the answer!

Actually, I know that isn't the answer!

If you need a hint, I'll be back in a couple of weeks ;)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, but I think this was one of the few times that Hashi broke into an active snarky response and said something to the effect of "I'm doing YOUR job."
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

You're right IS :D

So what was it that Hashi brought Brandich to account?
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

StevieG wrote:You're right IS :D

So what was it that Hashi brought Brandich to account?
I thought you wanted the response. However, are you looking for the bit about the security badge?
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Ah yeah, the response :D Not the security badge bit.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

StevieG wrote:Ah yeah, the response :D Not the security badge bit.
So, I've got nothing besides the snarky comment and the badge. At this point, I'm not sure what else you're looking for...
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I’m looking for the correct answer IS :D

What was Hashi’s response? Snarky or otherwise…
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

I thought you said my answer of "doing your job" was the correct response, which is why I'm confused. If that isn't it, I can't help at the moment. :)
- Woody -
But I love my wife more!

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Oh right, yeah so “I’m doing YOUR job� is not correct, but yes, this was one of the times Hashi broke into a snarky response. Well, maybe not snarky as such, but definitely an angry response.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Time for a hint...
A tremor ran along Hashi's frame. His own reaction to the danger and indignity of the past few hours seemed to shrill inside him. 'Very well.' He folded his thin hands in his lap to conceal their indignation. 'You answer my question, and I will answer yours.

'To use your phrase, Chief Mandich, what the hell did you think you were doing when you ________________________________
All you need to do is fill in the gap :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

"To use your phrase, Chief Mandich, what the hell did you think you were doing when you assigned a whelp like Ensign Crender to take my orders?"
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

And just like that, Nathan has swooped in and quoted the answer perfectly :clap:
’To use your phrase, Chief Mandich, what the hell do you think you were doing when you assigned a whelp like Ensign Crender to take my orders?’

Mandich’s eyes widened.

Wheezing sharply, Hashi sent his words like wasps into the Chief’s blunt face. ‘I made my needs known explicitly to Deputy Chief Ing. I informed him that I desired him and his men to stand ready to carry out my requests and instructions.

‘He replied that he could not comply without consulting you.

‘I do not consider that adequate. “If I ask you to ‘do something,’ I will need it done without the delay of applying to your Chief for permission.� Those were my exact words. I told him plainly that I did not know what to expect, but that I wished to be prepared for what might transpire.

‘Still he hesitated. I answered, “Then kindly inform Chief Mandich that I require him to assign personnel to me who have been given his authorization to do what I tell them.� Again those are my exact words.

‘Director Hannish supported my wishes.’

Obliquely Hashi observed that Koina was staring at him, her lips slightly parted in surprise. It was probable that in the years she’d worked with him she’d never heard him sound so angry.

An undignified flush stained Chief Mandich’s neck, mottled his cheeks with his own anger. He opened his mouth to deliver a retort. But Hashi wasn’t done. He didn’t give the Chief a chance to speak.

‘How did you respond?’ he went on harshly. ‘By assigning me a boy so untried that he was unable to react without hesitation - hesitation which could well have resulted in murder in the meeting hall of the Governing Council for Earth and Space.

‘True, he mastered his hesitation. He took the action necessary to save lives. For that I honor him.

‘But I do not honor you, Chief Mandich.’ If Hashi hadn’t controlled his hands, they would have flown like stings at the Chief’s eyes. ‘I am the United Mining Companies Police Director of Data Acquisition, and you did not take my stated requirements seriously enough to assign personnel capable of prompt obedience.

‘Shall we discuss our separate motivations now, or do you prefer to wait until we can explain them in front of Director Dios?’ Hashi shrugged dismissively. ‘For myself, I am content to wait.’
Over to you, Nathan :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “The Gap Series”