A Letter to Linden Avery (aka, I just finished FR)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I'm with Endymion9 in regards to the Linden being pregnant with Thomas' child story line. I was hoping for that also.

However, I don't think Jeremiah was lying when he described Thomas "being the best" in regards to being his friend when he came to the Land in spirit. So as the story progresses I think we'll see that Jeremiah *is* like Thomas' and Linden's adoptive child.

Whilst I completely agree with everything bad said about Linden Avery on general principle; I think you'll all see that SRD wasn't lying when he said something like "they aren't called the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant gratuitously. It's not a marketing ploy. Give me time and I'll prove it to you"

He wasn't lying, trust me, and more importantly, trust SRD :D
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Revan wrote:So as the story progresses I think we'll see that Jeremiah *is* like Thomas' and Linden's adoptive child.
Jeremiah certainly is the "metaphysical" child of TC and LA. She met him directly via her involvement w/ the Land, he represents (to her) all the love she shared w/ Covenant, and he symbolizes the new life and ability to love and care for another that she discovered by overcoming her childhood traumas while in the Land.

And (in their 'real' world) they only had a one-night stand! :)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Fist and Faith wrote:And I'm thinking you have an awful lot of WGD's there!!
Speak on.
Fist and Faith wrote:"Something specific"???? Wanting a Covenant story in The Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is an unreasonable specific expectation??? 8O
Not unreasonable, but it did turn out to be specific, didn't it? :)
Revan wrote:I'm with Endymion9 in regards to the Linden being pregnant with Thomas' child story line. I was hoping for that also.
I think Donaldson's delicate balance between reality and dream would be destroyed if Linden carried a pregnancy back from the Land to the real world.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote:
Speak on.
JK. Always looking for donations, but it need not be a punishment for calling me MM. MM's a pretty cool guy. (But if you meant Ms. Mary, then, yeah, you do gotta pay up. But to her, not me. :lol:)

wayfriend wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:"Something specific"???? Wanting a Covenant story in The Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is an unreasonable specific expectation??? 8O
Not unreasonable, but it did turn out to be specific, didn't it? :)
Yeah, I guess so... I'm glad my other specific expectation - that it be written in a language I can read - did not also lead to disappointment. :roll: :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Fist and Faith wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
Speak on.
JK. Always looking for donations, but it need not be a punishment for calling me MM. MM's a pretty cool guy. (But if you meant Ms. Mary, then, yeah, you do gotta pay up. But to her, not me. :lol:)
Yeah, where are my WGDs? ;) :lol:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Berenford
Stonedownor

Post by Berenford »

MsMary wrote:
Foamfollower1013 wrote:
Ur Dead wrote:And the only harm is, that Elohim are gonna get munched..
There wasn't any prediction that the world will end.
Au contraire. From The One Tree:
If the Worm is roused, the Earth will end, freeing Despite to wreak vengeance upon the cosmos.
Findail says that when Covenant almost wakes the Worm at the end.
That's assuming that we believe everything Findail says. And he hasn't been know for 100% truthfulness.

Didn't SRD say in the Gradual Interview somewhere that not everything the Elohim say about themselves is true? (Though granted, the particular statement the Foamy quotes is not about the Elohim themselves.)
Keep in mind that SRD is giving a lot of clues in the names of the characters in the Final Chronicles: The Theomach = God/make, Anele = Elena, and the name of the head of the Elohim is "Infelice", or dishonest.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Berenford wrote:Keep in mind that SRD is giving a lot of clues in the names of the characters in the Final Chronicles: The Theomach = God/make, Anele = Elena, and the name of the head of the Elohim is "Infelice", or dishonest.
The Anele and Elena one was unintentional. From the GI:
Yes, it's just a coincidence. I didn't notice the Elena/Anele spelling until a friend pointed out to me--too late for me to do anything about it. Sometimes these things just happen.
Manny Calavera
Stonedownor

Post by Manny Calavera »

Fist and Faith wrote:First of all, I'm FF, not MM. :mrgreen: And yes, I criticize her. The things I mention are annoying, and I want to smack her for them. But if she was a character in a Covenant book, that's all it would be. That's the way it was in the 2nd Chrons. I wanted to smack her. Really not a big deal. She was a part of the 2nd Chrons, and she did some great stuff too. I joined THOOLAH just because it's fun. :lol:

But now, she's got all those annoying things, and it's an LA story instead of a Covenant story. We haven't gotten a drop of Covenant in two books! I have a problem with that. And I'm mad at the reason for that. SRD loves her to death, and has put Covenant waaaay in the background for her. I don't like it.

Agreed,so much so,I sometimes think its a bit of a gip,and or a rip to the fans to call it what its been named :

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant :(

Flame away !
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

:twisted:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
kim the unchosen
Servant of the Land

Give her some credit!

Post by kim the unchosen »

Okay-I know we aren't dissecting yet but let's look at some facts here. First of all, I found it very significant that Kevin's Watch is gone now. Don't any of you think that means something? And secondly, why else would Hile Troy have broken the law of life if it wasn't for Linden to bring back TC?
If TC is the keystone to the arch of time, who is going to be there to prevent Foul from playing with the laws of nature? No one so far-but think about it!
Just wanted to throw my feeble opinion in.

Also, I like Linden Avery. She has a lot going on, inside and out. If it's okay for TC to make mistakes-how come she can't?
"Never the less"
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Okay-I know we aren't dissecting yet
Oh, but we are! Check out the DTL forum today!
Fits
Servant of the Land

Post by Fits »

Linden hands over to a clearly raving Joan, a White Gold ring.

/Facepalm

Linden brings Thomas Covenant back from the dead.

/Cheer

Balance.
yuriluzr
Servant of the Land

Post by yuriluzr »

Remember...Do something they don't expect.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

With Covenant in tow, the good guys will be able to use the Staff of Law and white gold at the same time. As Covenant is the rightful white gold wielder, he might be able to just ignore Esmer's presence and blast skurj into nonedible dissolution. With Linden wielding the Staff of Law and hurtloam available in the ground, she could potentially cure Covenant of his leprosy, giving him the accuracy and control she has, making for a very powerful team. Also, Covenant would have picked up all kinds of useful information during his time as the Timewarden and in the flesh his messages wouldn't get interrupted all the time anymore. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Well, that's the theory anyway. Now we'll see what the unintended side effects are.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

yuriluzr wrote:Remember...Do something they don't expect.
Greetings & welcome to KW, yuriluzr! If you have the time & interest, stop over to the Summonsing and introduce yourself! :)
... nobody I know.
Matthias
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Matthias »

yuriluzr wrote:Remember...Do something they don't expect.
Is it just me, or did everyone else get confused whenever Linden heard voices in her head? Was it really TC or was it two indistinguishable voices or was it from someone completely different?

The "Do something they don't expect" thing was something I looked warily at because I thought that it was someone in the guise of TC--maybe I'm not remembering correctly--but didn't the voices in her head tend to contradict one another sometimes? I don't have the book on me and I honestly can't remember the source of my confusion.

-matt
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Nerdanel wrote:With Covenant in tow, the good guys will be able to use the Staff of Law and white gold at the same time. As Covenant is the rightful white gold wielder, he might be able to just ignore Esmer's presence and blast skurj into nonedible dissolution. With Linden wielding the Staff of Law and hurtloam available in the ground, she could potentially cure Covenant of his leprosy, giving him the accuracy and control she has, making for a very powerful team. Also, Covenant would have picked up all kinds of useful information during his time as the Timewarden and in the flesh his messages wouldn't get interrupted all the time anymore. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Well, that's the theory anyway. Now we'll see what the unintended side effects are.
If your theory is correct, AATE will be 7 pages long ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Relayer wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:With Covenant in tow, the good guys will be able to use the Staff of Law and white gold at the same time. As Covenant is the rightful white gold wielder, he might be able to just ignore Esmer's presence and blast skurj into nonedible dissolution. With Linden wielding the Staff of Law and hurtloam available in the ground, she could potentially cure Covenant of his leprosy, giving him the accuracy and control she has, making for a very powerful team. Also, Covenant would have picked up all kinds of useful information during his time as the Timewarden and in the flesh his messages wouldn't get interrupted all the time anymore. It actually makes a lot of sense.

If your theory is correct, AATE will be 7 pages long ;-)
No way. I think there will be major, literally earth-shaking, side effects in the form of the Worm awakening. I'm expecting a desperate race against time to stop the Worm before it awakens fully and shakes the crust of the Earth from around it. I think the end of AATE will see much devastation and the Worm either forcefully shackled or dead. If the Worm (a.k.a. the Arch of Time) is dead but still intact enough for the end of the world not to occur, I expect things to get very grim indeed for The Last Dark, when people try to deal with the shattered remains of their planet. For example, since the Elohim are supposed to be Earthpower incarnate, the death of the Worm could do bad things for Earthpower, so that suddenly the sum total of Earthpower available would be limited to what was left and could now be used up. No more aliantha, no more health-sense, no more omnilingual Giants...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

.... or, Linden uses a ceasure to travel back in time, and the rest of the series is in the past before the Worm was awoken.

There was a rather important moment before the end, where Linden summoned the Ranyhyn, and they miraculously returned to her side. The Ranyhyn would be important in any ceasure-travelling...
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

wayfriend wrote:.... or, Linden uses a ceasure to travel back in time, and the rest of the series is in the past before the Worm was awoken.

There was a rather important moment before the end, where Linden summoned the Ranyhyn, and they miraculously returned to her side. The Ranyhyn would be important in any ceasure-travelling...
But what would be the point? In the past Linden couldn't prevent the Worm from awakening, since that would cause a temporal paradox. So instead of a save-or-destroy situation we would then have a situation where Linden either destroys the world by temporal paradox or is stealthy and the Worm awakens anyway.

I think if Linden does travel to the past again her visit(s) will be temporary and less than one book in length. Instead, I think there's a decent chance of Linden ending up in the future. I have this notion that the insane Mahdoubt will return at the end of the next book and time-shift Linden to a future that then becomes unavoidable no matter what she does...

Return to “Fatal Revenant”