A Letter to Linden Avery (aka, I just finished FR)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

A Letter to Linden Avery (aka, I just finished FR)

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

Dear Linden,

What on earth were you thinking?? Are you insane?

You know, I was almost starting to warm to you when you were being betrayed by fake-Covenant. No one deserves that, not even you.

But then you had to go and do something stupid again. No – this time it was beyond stupid. And what really gets me is that you knew it was stupid. Everyone and their mother was warning you not to be an idiot, and you just kept going with your fingers in your ears. Lalala, I can't hear you all warning me. I'm not going to tell anyone what I'm doing because I know if I do they'll tell me I'm being an idiot, and then I won't be able to pretend I'm not anymore. Even Covenant himself told you Remember I'm dead, but you apparently decided to ignore that part of what he said. Your opinion was the only one that mattered.

What gives you the right to make unilateral decisions that could potentially affect the whole world? And all for the sake of your son. You know what? Honestly, I don't care about your son if it means everything else gets sacrificed. I care about the Land. Your son is just one person - he's not worth tearing apart the entire world.

Even Covenant in his most extreme moments was careful not to do anything that would harm the Land. You...you just don't care. You're causing harm to the whole world, all for your own selfish reasons.

You have the worst judgment I've ever seen. Covenant did some crazy stuff, but he's nothing compared to you. You're just a walking disaster.

The only good outcome I can see from this is that maybe we'll get to have Covenant back for a while. Maybe we'll even get to see some things from his perspective again. God, do I miss having Covenant as the narrator.

Exasperation,
Foamy

-----------------------

*ahem* Okay, I'm done ranting now. Um, hello everyone! :wave:

Disclaimer: I'm not actually angry...just in case that didn't translate across the Internet. Nor did I actively dislike this book - it's not my favorite, but it had its moments. I'm just shaking my head at Linden's monumental stupidity.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

:D :goodpost:

We need a "Welcome to THOOLAH!" emoticon.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Hone your sword, Wayfriend :biggrin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

dlbpharmd wrote::D :goodpost:

Oh, I've been a member of THOOLAH for years.
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

My god that was beautiful!

*weeps*

...i concur with the distinguished DLB, THOOLAH emoticon!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Foamy!! Hi, sweetie!!! :D :D :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Oh Foamfollower.. You misguided THOOLAH person..

So your saying Linden's resurrection of TC is a mistake?
Nobody wanted to give her the information she needed.
Esmer has does some good things for her but the bunion of a
pollop is two faced as anything.
So she followed her heart and raise TC. Some of the major powers could have told her what would have happen.
But good ole Caerroil Wildwood even helped her complete the ritual for
raising TC when he inscribed runes on the staff.

And the only harm is, that Elohim are gonna get munched..
There wasn't any prediction that the world will end.
The Theomach (wherever he is) is happy.
The Harrow is happy!
The Vizard would have been happy!
The Whole Insequents race are happy.
Who need those self righteous Elohim anyways!

Linden has supassed Kenaustin Ardenol! He only humilated the Elohim, she
is getting rid of them. The Haruchai should call her ak-Haru Linden Avery!
She is greater than the Theomach!

:P
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

ak-Haru Linden Avery
:LOLS:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Foamfollower1013 wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote::D :goodpost:

Oh, I've been a member of THOOLAH for years.
Yeah, she's been a member ever since it's founding - I told her about it right away, since we had both bitched about LA for years. :P

Great post, Foamy! :biggrin:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Yeah your right, I mean it should have been easy but she had to go and make it all confused and difficult. Whenever Im faced with a decision where the fate of the world, existance even, and the eternal fate of my helpless autistic son hangs in the balance, Im always able to decide exactly what it is that I am supposed to do. I always succeed in dealing plainly with Insequents, Masters, Giants, Ramen, Sandgorgons, Ravers, insane ex- wives, and Forrestals. Not to mention Time paradoxes. Simple really. She made all the mistakes that I would not have , which is exactly why Donaldson didnt use me in the story.There is no excuse for her failures as a mother, and as the protector of the Land , she should be replaced.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm with you, Broken. I never ask anybody's opinion or advice when all of existence is about to fall apart. In fact, I mislead and simply refuse to answer questions from even my strongest supporters; whether or not they have just as much at stake as me; whether or not they may know more about certain events and conditions than I do. It's a lot more fun to do crazy things, and look at the looks on their faces! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Fist and Faith wrote:Foamy!! Hi, sweetie!!! :D :D :D
Hello! :wave:
Ur Dead wrote:So your saying Linden's resurrection of TC is a mistake?
Was it a mistake? I don't know. I'm torn between "Linden, you idiot, what have you done?" and "Yay, we get Covenant back!" :P Seriously, though: it's possible that this may have a good outcome in the end, but considering that she didn't know in advance what the outcome might be, I think her decision to do it (especially without consulting anyone) was incredibly stupid.

It's her judgment I'm questioning - her failure to think (or care) about the consequences of her decisions. Regardless of what the consequences actually turn out to be, I think her judgment in making those decisions is flawed.
Ur Dead wrote:And the only harm is, that Elohim are gonna get munched..
Au contraire. From The One Tree:
If the Worm is roused, the Earth will end, freeing Despite to wreak vengeance upon the cosmos.
Findail says that when Covenant almost wakes the Worm at the end.

And in response to Broken...yeah, what F&F said. :)

~Foamy~
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Foamfollower1013 wrote:
Ur Dead wrote:And the only harm is, that Elohim are gonna get munched..
Au contraire. From The One Tree:
If the Worm is roused, the Earth will end, freeing Despite to wreak vengeance upon the cosmos.
Findail says that when Covenant almost wakes the Worm at the end.
That's assuming that we believe everything Findail says. And he hasn't been know for 100% truthfulness.

Didn't SRD say in the Gradual Interview somewhere that not everything the Elohim say about themselves is true? (Though granted, the particular statement the Foamy quotes is not about the Elohim themselves.)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

MsMary wrote:That's assuming that we believe everything Findail says. And he hasn't been know for 100% truthfulness.

Didn't SRD say in the Gradual Interview somewhere that not everything the Elohim say about themselves is true? (Though granted, the particular statement the Foamy quotes is not about the Elohim themselves.)
Yeah, so maybe he wasn't telling the truth. The point is, there was a prediction that the world would end. Ur Dead said that there wasn't.

All the information we've gotten about the Worm has come from the Elohim anyway, hasn't it? So how do we know any of it is true?

~Foamy~
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Can we at least agree on this one point ? That regardless what you, or I, or the King of Siam might do, Linden did exactly what she was intended to do, by the author. If you hate her , then hate her.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I wonder if TC didn't sublimitally tell Linden to resurrect him. :?

The reoccuring phrases.

Find me

Remember, I am dead.

It is haunting.

TC saids to find him but he is dead. Maybe for TC, that the only way he can help her is to be resurrected.

But again he saids: "Linden, what have you done" isn't a condemnation nor is it an direct question. The Elohim gives an answer that states that TC asked a question and Inflecie (?) interject her own answer.

So it looks like AATE might well hold the answer to the cliffhanger in FR. (As FR answered the question of the two riders in Runes)
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mr. Broken wrote:Can we at least agree on this one point ? That regardless what you, or I, or the King of Siam might do, Linden did exactly what she was intended to do, by the author. If you hate her , then hate her.
We're trying to, but you're interrupting!!!

:mrgreen: :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Fist and Faith wrote:In fact, I mislead and simply refuse to answer questions from even my strongest supporters; whether or not they have just as much at stake as me... It's a lot more fun to do crazy things, and look at the looks on their faces! :D
Uh.... TC giving up the ring to Foul at the end of White Gold Wielder much??? Lol...
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Seppi2112 wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:In fact, I mislead and simply refuse to answer questions from even my strongest supporters; whether or not they have just as much at stake as me... It's a lot more fun to do crazy things, and look at the looks on their faces! :D
Uh.... TC giving up the ring to Foul at the end of White Gold Wielder much??? Lol...
I know. Can you imagine if that had been a cliffhanger? The discussion on this board? TC giving up the ring. Foul killing him with a "I won" cliffhanger?

We'd have THOOTCH! <grin>
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

what the heck?! Lets look at the precedent Thomas Covenant gives us: What is more important, the fate of the Land or one snake-bitten girl from our own world?

What Covenant did there was much worse going by these standards. While Linden is willing to let the world be painlessly destroyed for the sake of her beloved son (or for her beloved mate) Covenant was willing to condemn this world to an eternity in hell for the sake of some nameless child he just met.

Talk about double standards.

And lets not forget that Covenant basically goaded her into doing this. He probably didn't think she'd actually bring him to life (he must have thought she'd just talk to his ghost in Andalain) but who's fault is it that he wasn't understood?
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”