KW ANTHOLOGY IV - PRIMER

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

KW ANTHOLOGY IV - PRIMER

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay guys. We're gonna do it. Anthology IV is officially a go. We'll have a kick off announcement in about a month to get things moving forward. It'll be the usual stuff with me begging for volunteers, submissions, mercy etc.

This year (if we get enough submissions) I'd like to kick around the idea of breaking up the book into sections. Comedy, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Drama, Mystery, Poems etc. We can approve or poo poo this crazy notion as we go along. :-)

Okay. I'm just spit balling here but I'm going to throw out some ideas for stories. If any of these inspire someone then it was worth the 5 minutes of my life.

1. Earth scientists discover a rogue star is hurtling toward the Sun. Though the two stars will narrowly miss each other, one of the planets orbiting the alien star will be on a direct collision course with Earth. A daring plan is formed to create a huge repulsion device to deflect the other planet. The effort fails because Earth is only able to create half the repulsive energy required for the effort. When the time comes it is discovered that the alien planet is nearly identical to Earth and its inhabitants have created the exact same device to save their world. Together each device has enough power to shift the planets to avoid collision. It turns out later that it was in fact OUR planet that was hurtling toward THEIR world.

2. Maik Tambar is a witch. Everyone knows it in her small town however she has been shunned because the community believes the practice of her craft is evil. Then some of the townspeople begin to turn up dead. Killed by what could only have been witchcraft though there is no proof to convict Maik of the crimes. In spite of the lack of evidence the townspeople react with instant hatred. Maik is terrorized by vigilante mobs but manages to fend off the attacks without hurting anyone. When it is finally discovered that the town has been targeted by an alien monster that views it's people as a convenient food supply, the community ironically turns to Maik for help.

3. As the End of Days approaches, Satan discovers that his influence over mankind increases moment by moment but he also knows he will eventually be overthrown. In a move to alter the established prophecy the Devil hatches a plan to force total annihilation of all human life on Earth in one fell swoop. Scientists have stumbled across the secret to create a weapon so powerful that can actually destroy/nullify all forms of energy, even those that occupy the same space in other dimensions. The destruction is so complete that not only the physical human body would be destroyed but the actual soul as well. If Satan can't have them no one will.
Humankind's only possible hope lies with a retired scientist who has been committed to an mental asylum for hearing voices and seeing visions of the future.

4. Scott Taylor is a computer software engineer for a large international company. He's been working on a project that involves the development of advanced artificial intelligence systems. Little by little Scott begins to notice something strangely familiar about the way the program behaves. The way it thinks, reasons and reacts is becoming more and more like a mirror image of his own mind. Somehow Scott has unintentionally created a mental duplicate of himself. He learns later (to his abject horror) that his program is to be used as the primary template for hundreds of different applications, from automated soldiers and policemen to artificial teachers to mechanical baby sitters, doctors and nurses. Secretly the company has already manufactured and distributed two thousand robots all over the world to be activated all at once in a gala celebration. The terrible secret Scott has held within himself for his entire life but had managed to repress for five years is about to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. Scott Taylor was a homicidal sociopath who was responsible for over one hundred murders around the world. The only person able to avert the coming disaster is Scott himself but only his victims would ever believe the truth. The clock is ticking and it seems the only way Scott can convince his employers to halt their plan is to take another life. But who's?

5. An Earthquake unexpectedly shatters the seabed near the southern coast of Australia sending a massive tsunami hurtling inland from Perth to Melbourne causing total destruction. The world is shocked by the event and dozens of countries mobilize a relief and rescue effort. But something else is wrong. Twenty-four hours after the event scientists discover that the level of world's oceans have dropped nearly ten feet and are continuing to lose volume. It is discovered that the Australian Earthquake was caused by a huge rip in the fabric of space/time at the bottom of the ocean creating a portal to another dimension and sending millions of gallons of seawater per hour into another universe. Something has to be done to close the rift before the Earth becomes a barren wasteland but there is something terrible on the other side of the rift that wants to escape into our world.

6. The six Lords of Marshfire had been guardians of the whole of the land for centuries. Every enemy that has dared to confront them instantly found that they were no match for the Six. They wielded powers so vast that armies numbering thousands could pose no serious threat. The people of Marshfire lived their lives in peace and prosperity believing themselves completely immune to harm. Then from the distant mountains came a smiling man who unabashedly proclaimed himself king to everyone he met. At first he seemed ordinary enough. Dressed as a common woodsman he bore no weapons and wore no special insignia. By all accounts he appeared to be a harmless lunatic and was treated as such. But the smiling man did not relent and one day when some of the local townsfolk had had enough of his rantings and tried to force him to leave, he unexpectedly repelled them with flash of sorcery thereby finally attracting the notice of the Six. Two of the Lords were immediately dispatched and suddenly appeared before the stranger intending to harmlessly expel him. But before the two understood their peril they were quickly over matched and were ultimately incinerated by the stranger's incredible power. The Lords of Marshfire had never known defeat of any sort and were left reeling in stunned amazement. The smiling man set out across the land casually striding toward Lord's citadel effortlessly casting aside every defense the four could conjure. When word of the four's plight reached the outer realms the enemy kings formed an alliance, hoping to take advantage of the Lord's weakness, and began marching their armies toward Marshfire. Hopeless the Four were forced to delve into their most secret and dire powers. There was one forbidden and ancient spell that might be potent enough to save the land but the dark powers that would be unleashed, if uncontrolled, might lay waste to the entire Earth.

7. Matt Fields was a City Councilman, happy to be doing the people's work and generally content about his life. One night he awoke to the sound of screams. Blood curdling screams filled with such anguish that Matt thought the screamer must surely tear his throat asunder. But the screams continued and only abated long enough for the screamer's lungs to be refilled. Matt immediately sought out the screamer but could not find the source. Finally Matt decided that what he heard must be only in his head. Matt thought that surely it would end, the course of his temporary psychosis would reach some kind of conclusion but it did not. Unable to sleep Matt lay in bed with the sounds of unbridled torment filling his mind. When dawn came Matt tried to continue with his life. When he showered he heard nothing but shrieks. When he tried to eat he was undone but the piercing sound in his head. Matt finally made his way to work but when he began to get out of his car a second screamer appeared. During the rush to get back home a third screamer joined the chorus. By the time Matt stumbled to the floor of his living room he was unable to discern between the hundreds of voices crying out in pain. There was no way to block out the terrible sound, no means of escape. Matt had to find the cause of what had cursed him, and stop it, or he would surely end his life to bring it to an end.

Hope this helps some. That's all I have time for, I'll post more when more insane ideas come to me.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am for sections. maybe i could actually be accepted then. or do the poetry anthology???
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I like the idea of sections too. :D And fun story ideas. . . I wonder if I should try writing about one of them :P

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Wyldewode wrote: I wonder if I should try writing about one of them :P
yes you should.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

TOM -- so, wait -- would #2 fall under Fantasy or Sci-Fi? :lol:

You and dAN could get another book out of #3....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

aliantha wrote:TOM -- so, wait -- would #2 fall under Fantasy or Sci-Fi? :lol:
That is an awfully good question. Would it help matters if the setting was something akin to Middle Earth? :biggrin:

You and dAN could get another book out of #3....
Okay. I'll just pretend I didn't read that. 8O

I added one more story idea to my original post. I assume it falls under sci fi but perhaps may veer into horror or some other genre.

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

May I ask how this works? Do we all write stories based upon the ideas presented, and then the best one is chosen? I ask because I'm learning toward #2. And would it be okay to put my own twist on it?

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Wyldewode wrote:May I ask how this works? Do we all write stories based upon the ideas presented, and then the best one is chosen? I ask because I'm learning toward #2. And would it be okay to put my own twist on it?
These are just suggestions to give people ideas. There is something we're thinking of doing in the writer's forum that would be similar where we all agree on a theme and then each of us write our own take on the idea.

This is a free for all. Anything goes. Whatever story you'd like to write including using one of my ideas. It's entirely up to the individual.

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

We could perhaps use those ideas for the challenge discussed in the Writers' Circle? It gets us started, rather than everyone just sitting around and waiting for someone else to come up with something.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I'd like to come up with another short story, but I just havn't gotten a good idea to drive me for years now. I think grad school has sucked most of my creativity. I'll see if anything comes to mind, though.-jay
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i am going to write something that nobody but me understands. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

What's the point of submitting something like that, Sarge? I thought the whole point (typically) of art and writing was to communicate a message to the audience.

If you want to follow you own vision, great. . . but setting out to submit something that communicates nothing would be an exercise in futility at best.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Wyldewode wrote:What's the point of submitting something like that, Sarge? I thought the whole point (typically) of art and writing was to communicate a message to the audience.

If you want to follow you own vision, great. . . but setting out to submit something that communicates nothing would be an exercise in futility at best.
it is a running joke. i submit what i think are straight forward brilliant pieces. (Under Her Chain of Fire) and then I get rejected. hell, I wrote a sex piece, posted it and nobody objected. Which? (Incite, play, roll, nickel, remove, swear or fight.)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

It would be easier to tell if you were joking if you used the handy emoticons. Like this. . ;) :biggrin:

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wyldewode wrote:It would be easier to tell if you were joking if you used the handy emoticons. Like this. . ;) :biggrin:
Don't need 'em if you've read any of Sarge's stuff. :lol: (Just kidding, Sarge, you know that!)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha - thank you for the support. :)

wylde: read the poems in question, report back. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

The only question I have, is is it worth ir?

I mean, I love submitting stories, and having Joy tear them apart :D ...

But how many copies are being bought and read?

The last time I heard, there were less than ten copies bought of 2007...have the numbers gone up at all?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

that is why i argue that you should include me. that number would be way up; to at least 12 to 15 copies. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Anthology 4 already?

Haha wow time goes fast.

Good luck to everyone who plans to submit! :)

Do we have any volunteers for selection committee yet?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

James wrote:Anthology 4 already?

Haha wow time goes fast.

Good luck to everyone who plans to submit! :)

Do we have any volunteers for selection committee yet?
I believe that Variol Son has placed his head in the annual noose. :-)

I don't plan to ask for official volunteers until the end of next month. Also at that time I'll post a refresher of the submission guidelines. I personally don't plan to wait any longer to begin writing my story.

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”