Father of Humanity? (MoI and HoC spoilers)

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Father of Humanity? (MoI and HoC spoilers)

Post by Holsety »

Alright, I was rereading Memories of Ice a few days ago, and I got a little curious about something. In House of Chains we found out that Kilava is apparently the link between imass and humanity. But in the prologue of Memories of Ice, we find out that while she recently gave birth (breasts swollen with milk and all that), her kids are dead, so it seems unlikely that onrack is the daddy. Has there been indication about who is?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I haven't read too far into my reread of HoC yet. Wow, I don't remember that about Kilava. I remember her having had kids, but didn't remember anything about the connection with humanity. Something to look forward to! :D Of course, that's why I'm rereading 1-4 before I go on.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote:I haven't read too far into my reread of HoC yet. Wow, I don't remember that about Kilava. I remember her having had kids, but didn't remember anything about the connection with humanity. Something to look forward to! :D Of course, that's why I'm rereading 1-4 before I go on.
The thing about kilava gets revealed by the whirlwind goddess when she flashbacks towards the end of the book. I can find the quote if you are interested, I think I dogeared it (yes, I dogear cool and interesting stuff in my books -_-). There's a sort of corollary passage earlier which talks about Dryjhna; Mathok says something about how it's not supposed to be a reminder, not so much a prophecy or driving vision of the people of seven cities.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I also dogear. I dogear the hell outta paperbacks! At least a little of hc's. I'll have to find this spot, because I certainly would have dogeared it.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Fist and Faith wrote:I also dogear. I dogear the hell outta paperbacks! At least a little of hc's. I'll have to find this spot, because I certainly would have dogeared it.
The biggest problem I have with dogearing? Sometimes I decide not to dogear something that I don't think is quite as important, simply because I want to limit my dogears to something I can check fairly quickly.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've been finding more dogear-worthy stuff with the second reading. :lol: But it's not a problem. I don't usually use them to find things when I need to. I just like to start at the beginning of a book and look at each page with a dogear, and see why I did that page. Heh. "Oh yeah! That's an awesome part!!"
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nequam
Servant of the Land

Post by Nequam »

The thing is, she isn't the "mother" of humanity. Though I'm sure she helped. It was the Imass that never made it to the ritual that are responsible. They eventually turned into many different races such as the barghast, Trell, etc. After hundreds of thousands of years...POOF! You get humans. :P

I think there certainly is a lot more to it than that, but I think I got the main gist of it.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Here's the quote, btw. The Whirlwind Goddess' memories:
Her rage had not died with the Ritual, had not died when she herself - too shattered to walk - had been severed from the Vow and left in a place of eternal darkness. And every curious spirit that had heard her weeping, that had drawn close in sympathy - well, they had fed her hungers, and she had taken their powers. Layer upon layer. For they too had been foolish and stupid, wayward and inclined to squander those powers on meaningless things. But she had a purpose.

The Children swarmed the surface of the world. And who was their mother? None other than the bitch who had been banished.

And their father?

Oh yes, she went to him. On that last night. She did. He reeked of her when they dragged him into the light the following morning. Reeked of her. The truth was there in his eyes.

A look she would - could - never forget.

Vengeance was a beast long straining at its chains. Vengeance was all she had ever wanted.

Vengeance was about to be unleashed.

And even Raraku could not stop it. The children would die.

The children will die. I will cleanse the world of their beget, the proud-eyed vermin born, one and all, of that single mother. Of course she could not join the Ritual. A new world waited within her.
As usual, difficult to know with certainty what Erikson means. But it seems possible that he's saying Kilava is the mother of humanity, and Onrack the father. And the Imass that never made it to the Ritual that are responsible for the Barghast, Trell, etc.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It seems like in MT, it's implied that
Spoiler
rats that devoured corpses at the last battle between the K'Chain Ch'melle and the Tiste are the forbearers of humanity
That's how I read it, any way...

edited to add: I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion... but I stand by it :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”