How big is the creation in this series?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Hellbinder
Servant of the Land

How big is the creation in this series?

Post by Hellbinder »

I am wondering how big is the Earth actually?

1. How many contentants, races and people groups are there actually?
2. Is the Land the center of the Earth? or is it just one corner?
3. Are there other planets? Stars a Moon?

IS the Arch of time covering a Universe?

Is the Earth a Planet? or is it a construct of an unknown shape? is it Flat? is it Square? What other heavenly beings were with the Creator before he created the Earth? Are they still there? do they interact?

These are the kind of questions i am wondering if there are any answers to.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

The NeverEnding story could give you some interesting answers to your questions. I think they both have some fundamental basic similarities that translate into equivalences.

We have the real world and we have the other reality. People from our reality are translated into that one. And in that one inner feelings and inner imaginations are externalized into manifesting in that reality (which make them both magical unlike our reality)

The Creator / (the empress) only appear once to the people from our world. Their choices (and freedom to make them on their own ) are vital in the story.

And the world is of course infinite (and therefore flat). As endless as our imaginations and capacities to love and to hate.

We have Findail's story about Kenestessen. His affair with the mortal woman occurs in an unknown land far far away and long long ago. Obviously our heroes only covered a minuscule fraction of this world and no one ever talked about going so long in one direction he returned to the place from which he started (A non-flat world that converges on itself like ours)
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

I've often wondered how the unhomed got lost if in the second chronicles the giantship Starfare's Gem was able to get to and from the land relatively quickly from several different lands. I mean it wasn't a years long jouney. How was it that the unhomed searched for millenia without success?
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

Well there is a Moon as both Drool Rockworm & Elena (under Foul's influence) manage to change its colour.......

According to Saltheart Foamfollower when explaining to TC how the Unhomed became the Unhomed is that their ships were blown off course and ended up in the part of the Earth that was unfamiliar to them. They spent the next few centuries trying to find a way back and in WGW apparently they had but unfortunately Foul ruined their homecoming...

I believe that SRD himself has commented that the world was as big as he wanted or needed it to be!

There are places mentioned in the books (i.e. Haurachi homelands, where the Ramen & Ranyhyn fled to during the ritual of desecration etc).
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

The Unhomed also had the problem of building ships that could take them into the deep seas. I think they lost their ships on reaching the Land's shores and couldn't get rocks of the same quality as those used in their homelands. Without those traveling long distances became practically impossible so they had big problems refinding their route.

The solution in the first chronicles was to give them wood from gilden trees. This must have been inconceivable to the early giants. Sail in wooden ships??? That's preposterous!!!

We can assume that by the time of the Searech giants ~5000 years later their ship-making and navigational techniques have improved, making the voyage easier.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

ss wrote:couldn't get rocks of the same quality as those used in their homelands
they just didn't have the right "pitch" eh? :P
fall far and well Pilots!
Liand
Servant of the Land

Post by Liand »

Spoiler
In FR Linden makes reference to watching stars, so they are there too.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I believe that the wood from gilden trees were to be used as the rudders and keels for the drommonds. It would help the Giant travel thru or around the soulbiter.

Like how Fomafollower used his Giants abilty to travel up river with Covenant.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

danlo wrote:
ss wrote:couldn't get rocks of the same quality as those used in their homelands
they just didn't have the right "pitch" eh? :P
<groan> :roll:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”