The Haruchai Masters

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

The Haruchai Masters

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I was wondering about the Haruchai Masters of the third chronicles. Do they operate similarly to the bloodguard of old (they are a set number, they're all males, they serve the Land for life while longing for their home and families) or do they live as families in Revelstone. Did they take any oaths like the Bloodguard did?

Why do they even live in Revelstone? They seem to care nothing for its maintainance and functioning.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: The Haruchai Masters

Post by dlbpharmd »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:I was wondering about the Haruchai Masters of the third chronicles. Do they operate similarly to the bloodguard of old (they are a set number, they're all males, they serve the Land for life while longing for their home and families) or do they live as families in Revelstone. Did they take any oaths like the Bloodguard did?

Why do they even live in Revelstone? They seem to care nothing for its maintainance and functioning.
It seems to me that the Masters are still in Revelstone because Durris promised Covenant they would. We didn't see any Haruchai women, so I suspect they're back home in Guard's Gap.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

It's frustrating, isn't it? We've been 7,000 years with these dudes and we still haven't seen one woman from their people. Are they like unicorns? Mythological creatures or maybe uber-discreet like the Afghan women that have to look out of net-holes in a body-bag clothing?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's not frustrating to me. I don't see how Haruachia women could ever be relevent to the story.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

dlbpharmd wrote:It's not frustrating to me. I don't see how Haruachia women could ever be relevent to the story.
That's until one of them comes out of Guards Gap, beats the snot out of one of the Humbled and tell them dinner is getting cold.

:P
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Maybe the women look just like the men, so there could have been female haruchai around all the time but no one noticed.
Damack
Servant of the Land

Re: The Haruchai Masters

Post by Damack »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:I was wondering about the Haruchai Masters of the third chronicles. Do they operate similarly to the bloodguard of old (they are a set number, they're all males, they serve the Land for life while longing for their home and families) or do they live as families in Revelstone. Did they take any oaths like the Bloodguard did?

The only "oath" they've taken now in the third series is to prevent the use of Earthpower. So even though they don't care for Revelstone in its upkeep, Revelstone still houses artifacts of earthpower within its walls so as the assumed Masters of the Land, they ward over Revelstone to prevent anyone from gaining those artifacts.
Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

I think the Masters still 'care' for Revelstone, in that they respect the place and its history, but they don't want to give Earthpower any kind of focus. Though this might just be me wearing rose-tinted glasses to look at the wonderful Haruchai.
Always on Topic

"If they give you lined paper, write the other way."
Miguel De Unamuno
Fits
Servant of the Land

Post by Fits »

Stave's sons are also Masters. Sheer nepotism.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I would think Haruchai women would be just as hardy as the males, but I'm not sure if they've trained to be as good fighters as the men.

The Masters don't let any of the people of the land use Earthpower, and they place themselves as the only line of defence between the people and the rest of the world.

You know, with the Undertaking of the Vow - meaning that so many Haruchai would abandon their former lives 'til their death... And enduring they are the only thing that will fight to defend the Land / Revelstone.. They don't seem to be thesort to think ideas through.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
HYNYN
Servant of the Land

Post by HYNYN »

In their sheer arrogance they have created a ritual of desecration of their own kind, albeit on a lesser scale than Kevin Landwasters. They have removed any vestige of Earthpower for the defense of the Land and taken away the spirit of the people.

Desecration in any form still stinks of death.
Far out on the Plains
we make our home
Earthpower Incarnate
Free and unfettered
serving the Land
Tail of the sky
Mane of the WORLD
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

The vow of service to the lords used earthpower to kae them deathless and sleepless. Are they still using earthpower that way? Hypocrites if they are.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I bet that the Haruchai women are soft, gentle and don't fight in anyway. Just 100% total sex goddesses.
:biggrin:
"Ur-Lord." Brinn did not look away. He hardly blinked. Yet the unwonted implication of softness in his tone was unmistakable. "In the song of the mere-wives we heard the fire of our yearning for that which we have left behind. Assuredly we were deluded -- but the delusion was sweet. Mountains sprang about us. The air became the keen breath which the peaks exhale from their snows. And upon the slopes moved the women who call to us in their longing for fire and seed and offspring." For a moment, he broke into the tonal tongue of the Haruchai; and that language seemed to transform his visage, giving him an aspect of poetry. "Therefore did we leap to answer, disregarding all service and safety. The limbs of our women are brown from sun and birth. But there is also a whiteness as acute as the ice which bleeds from the rock of mountains, and it burns as the purest snow burns in the most high tor, the most wind-flogged col. For that whiteness, we gave ourselves to the Dancers of the Sea."

What the heck is he referring to regarding the "whiteness".
Is that some sexual metaphor I've not heard about?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:What the heck is he referring to regarding the "whiteness".
He's talking about where the sun don't shine. :)

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

not to be too puerile and gutter minded [ok, that's a lie...to actually be exactly both of those things]
Stave [among other things] means long, to break a hole in, fit with a staff...it also means to ward off or avert [maybe cuz a hook up with Linden involves at least one too many staffs].
Linden would for sure need white gold to survive Stave [and TC too, with one of their women].
Haruchai never stop.

More seriously, think WF has it. Metaphor connecting white-capped mountains and the unexposed parts of the women as defining terms of the Haruchai people, interesting cuz one's very cold the other very hot, one eternal, one ephemeral. [I'm also pretty sure HLT was just trying to stir up the discussion, but I'm falling for it on purpose].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Man, book covers are *so* misleading. That can't be Stave -- he's got both eyes.

:lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Vraith wrote:More seriously, think WF has it. Metaphor connecting white-capped mountains and the unexposed parts of the women as defining terms of the Haruchai people, interesting cuz one's very cold the other very hot, one eternal, one ephemeral. [I'm also pretty sure HLT was just trying to stir up the discussion, but I'm falling for it on purpose].
:lol:
Only half so.
I've always found this passage odd.
"Brown from birth and sun".
"But there is also a whiteness"
He's using literal colors to describe the Haruchai women.
If we look at this physically/sexually, which is what Brinn is talking about in this passage.....then what the heck is white?
The eyes are the only part of the body that is white besides bones.
Is the white a metaphor?
If so then for what?
The purity of their love and spirit?

WF's point is accurate for a white female.
White skin of the breasts and groin area protected from the sun.
A reverse tan if you will.
But "Brown from birth" tosses that out the window.

I've always thought that Brinn was talking about more than just the unexposed naughty parts of his wife.
But it's never made any sense to me.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Fatal Revenant”