Backup forum

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Vain
Nom

Backup forum

Post by Vain »

I cannot remember if we have a backup forum just in case KW has a wobbly? Do we? We had about 4 hours out on Sunday and I figured that because it was a server outage, there's no real way to get the message out that things are OK but just wonky for a while.

I set this up:

kevinswatch.fr.yuku.com/

as a KW has gone wonky board but if we have another outlet, let me know :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

There are boards linked to the location map, but as far as I know, no one has ever used them.

Forumer is more similar in feel anyway. Let's stick with them.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

there's no real way to get the message out that things are OK but just wonky for a while
There's also, ya know, www.kevinswatch.com...-jay
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Can you hook up the Hangar to that too Vain? Cause we go down when the Watch goes down....
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

kevinswatch wrote:
there's no real way to get the message out that things are OK but just wonky for a while
Can you put a link up to the rescue board there? I think the idea is more for us to be able to communicate if things go whacky.

danlo - did you want a separate one or just shre this one?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Just an FYI...

I belong to several forums on forumer (even had a forum of my own for Pantheon for a short time), and the kevinswatch forum was the most difficult one I had registering on. It may have been that I was back on dial-up while at my Father-in-law's, but it took about 30 times resubmitting my confirmation information before it finally went through.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

We could share, just have to put a notice up in Hangar with this...
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Menolly wrote:Just an FYI...

I belong to several forums on forumer (even had a forum of my own for Pantheon for a short time), and the kevinswatch forum was the most difficult one I had registering on. It may have been that I was back on dial-up while at my Father-in-law's, but it took about 30 times resubmitting my confirmation information before it finally went through.
The one in the link was difficult?

danlo - no problemo :) I can change it to the KW and Hangar wonky forum :)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

thanks vain. very handy!! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Vain wrote:
Menolly wrote:Just an FYI...

The one in the link was difficult?
Once I clicked on the link, a page came up that said to reenter my user name. I kept getting errors on that page.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Darn free forums !! :) Hope it's not a perma problem :) thanks for letting me know
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

forumer has "Invalid session" come up a lot when I attempt to post to the boards. I figured it was a variation of that.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Wahoo! I'm a member of another message board. Can we spam the back up board with word games? :-)
Just kidding.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

kevinswatch wrote:
Yep, seems the obvious place.

I can understand the thinking behind a backup forum, but if it's only used as a backup, there aren't going to be any lasting topics there, so there doesn't seem much point. Unless it's a forum that already exists independently, like Ahira's Hangar.

Not that I'm criticising. I just thought I'd point out that a 'the forum is knackered for the time being' message on the homepage is probably all we need unless the problem is going to be long-term.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

aTOMiC wrote:Wahoo! I'm a member of another message board. Can we spam the back up board with word games? :-)
Just kidding.
It could be like an Escape From New York, only Mallory's style. Let us take over the backup board! YARGH! :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

CovenantJr wrote: I can understand the thinking behind a backup forum, but if it's only used as a backup, there aren't going to be any lasting topics there, so there doesn't seem much point. Unless it's a forum that already exists independently, like Ahira's Hangar.

Not that I'm criticising. I just thought I'd point out that a 'the forum is knackered for the time being' message on the homepage is probably all we need unless the problem is going to be long-term.
I. . . um. . only have the Watch bookmarked. I don't visit the other site too much. I suppose that Vain is doing this for people like me. I now have that link bookmarked, and if I can't get into KW forums, then I'd be able to check there and see what the story is. :)

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

CovenantJr wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:
Yep, seems the obvious place.

I can understand the thinking behind a backup forum, but if it's only used as a backup, there aren't going to be any lasting topics there, so there doesn't seem much point. Unless it's a forum that already exists independently, like Ahira's Hangar.

I think the purpose really is to just enable me to say what's happening in the event of any calamity. If the server goes down for an extended period of time, there isn't a way for me to contact anybody - or be contacted - to keep people up to date with what's happening. Of course, I hope it's never needed :)

I think Wyldewode has it summed up fairly nicely
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Balon wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:Wahoo! I'm a member of another message board. Can we spam the back up board with word games? :-)
Just kidding.
It could be like an Escape From New York, only Mallory's style. Let us take over the backup board! YARGH! :D
Hmmm....it's just crazy enough to WORK! 8O
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Wyldewode wrote:
CovenantJr wrote: I can understand the thinking behind a backup forum, but if it's only used as a backup, there aren't going to be any lasting topics there, so there doesn't seem much point. Unless it's a forum that already exists independently, like Ahira's Hangar.

I. . . um. . only have the Watch bookmarked. I don't visit the other site too much. I suppose that Vain is doing this for people like me. I now have that link bookmarked, and if I can't get into KW forums, then I'd be able to check there and see what the story is. :)
"The other site" *IS* the Watch!!! :faint: :faint: :faint: (Sort of like how Covenant IS White Gold!)

:P ;)

Anyway, I think CovJr's and my main point is that www.kevinswatch.com serves that exact same purpose.

You can bookmark it (as you should) and check it out when there is a problem with the forum. Same deal.

Except for the minor fact that Vain doesn't have access to it. Heh.

Wait...I see now... That's what this is all about here. Vain just wants POWER. He wants to undermine my authority! He is attempting to take over the Watch and call it his own! Twisting it to his own form of evil!!! FIEND! I'm on to you! :shifty:

-jay
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

kevinswatch wrote:Anyway, I think CovJr's and my main point is that www.kevinswatch.com serves that exact same purpose.

You can bookmark it (as you should) and check it out when there is a problem with the forum. Same deal.

Except for the minor fact that Vain doesn't have access to it. Heh.

Wait...I see now... That's what this is all about here. Vain just wants POWER. He wants to undermine my authority! He is attempting to take over the Watch and call it his own! Twisting it to his own form of evil!!! FIEND! I'm on to you! :shifty:
*covering grin*

(is there a Jay humor appreciation society yet?)

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”