New game ideas

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Well, there's probably no need to say exactly when most events happen in the month, so it doesn't seem that big a problem. And there's also the fact that a report on an event might not get to the governor for days or weeks, especially if it's out in some arboreal hinterland.

Are the colonies small, like, say, Port Royal; or large, like the Thirteen Colonies? If the former, it's much easier to believe a governor would be able to decide financial rights and stop pilgrims from travelling. In larger colonies, governors really only got noticed in times of trouble.

Damn, now I'm getting the urge to play a game like this in an African context, where the 'colony' is little more than two dozen white men and a fluid population of natives, and malaria is the biggest foe.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

It will start small. And hopefully grow over the course of the game, especially in the early stages when the homeland is pumping resources in to the area. it also depends on your homelands goals for the area, as everyone will be different. The more successful and bountiful your colony the more immigrants will come looking for a new home

And just for you, would you like me to make the plans have a section devoid of water and real arid with alot of shore bound natives? Would be interesting to say the least :P
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Why not? It'd be good. Even if you are trying to make it more reminiscent of the Americas you have a really varied selection of topography (as you do in Africa, come to think of it). Guess it depends on the size of the island, but a mountain chain could quite easily create an area much more arid than anything on the other side.

Are you going to have detailed rules for the creation of the governor character? For instance, would it have a game effect if someone chose to have their governor come from the upper echelons of the landed gentry; or if he was instead an eminently succesful merchant? There's a lot of scope there but, of course, you don't want to be mired down in a million variables to consider every time you process a turn.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I hadnt considered it really too be honest. perhaps you and I will talk more of it when you get back home
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

So, Dorian, when do you forsee this being started? I am chomping at the bit to play this game. This is the type of computer games I play so I am very interested in this one.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

wow really? Didnt know it was quite so anticipated.

Well at the moment im just brainstorming ideas. I just started back at study after my break so it will take a couple weeks to settle in. once thats done, I will start to put the rules to paper and then will have to play test them. Then will have to flesh out hte story and probably do a new map.

so for an optimistic guess, Ill say 4-6 weeks time. Maybe less
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Hi Dorian I would be also interested in participating when it starts, new to the forum game world. Anyway my name is in the hat :biggrin:
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Hye mate

yeah no worries. Looks like it will be a few weeks away at the least as Im still catching up on work at the moment
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

As the Zombie Apocalypse thread is locked, I'll announce it here:

I have been thinking of running a quick ZA style game myself - as Lore isn't able to, and I'd like to run something which takes very little of my time. No guaruntees, but expressions of interest are needed. If I do run it, it will have a medieval setting, and won't just be about zombies. Fast-paced, and limited number of turns.

Those who are intigued, please say so.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm interested.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm willing to give it a go.
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

I'll do it.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

in
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Count me in.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Thanks to those who have expressed interest so far. Planning and rules are procceeding at a steady pace. I will create a pseudo-class system, though player invention will always be favoured (ie, I may create something as vague as "Soldier" or "Cleric", though if you want that to mean "Bounty Hunter" or "Flagellant" that's fine). The biggest challenge is the map, and I'm still mulling over a few options for that.

If anyone has any specific requests, feel free to make them. I can't promise all will be fulfilled, though I will try. Keep in mind, this will most likely be set in a village sometime during the 30 yrs war (fought over religious reasons, amongst others). It's not necessary to know anything about that at all, as this will primarily be a Survival Horror game.

Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

I would like to be a Mother Superior of the Catholic Church.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I really don't have any idea what this game would be about, but I'd certainly like to give it a go. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Calais wrote:I would like to be a Mother Superior of the Catholic Church.
No problem.
Fist and Faith wrote:I really don't have any idea what this game would be about, but I'd certainly like to give it a go. :D
Similar to Lore's Zombie Apocalypse, in that it'll be a straight-forward game in which players have a single character, which they use to investigate, fight, and just plain survive etc. As I've said, it won't just be about "zombies" (the term would be anachronistic for the setting, anyway - I prefer Living Dead), and it will incorporate various elements of the setting's own myths and folk history. The rules and summaries are kept simple to allow players the opporunity to role-play and interact with freedom.

You can play almost whatever you like. Every player will be balanced (though their strengths and weaknesses will be different), so no ridiculously powerful concepts will be allowed (for instance, you can't play the Holy Roman Emperor, though a nobleman would be fine).

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Since there are Living Dead, are there other types of magics? Items? Spells? Or is it more like the Night of the Living Dead movies?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Fist and Faith wrote:Since there are Living Dead, are there other types of magics? Items? Spells? Or is it more like the Night of the Living Dead movies?
There won't be magic - mainly because I'm not a fan of it :) As it has an historical setting, the supernatural elements will be confined to the antagonists. However, members of the clergy may have the ability to ward off the undead. There may be some items which can be found which have similar abilities.

Primarily, though, it will be survival horror in the sense of Night of the Living Dead, though probably more like the Spanish classics Tombs of the Blind Dead etc (as in, I don't think I'll make the Living Dead mindless). However, a working knowledge of European folklore, especially as popularised by the Grimms Brothers, will help in getting the atmosphere.

As I said before, you don't need to know anything about the 30 yrs War, or the Reformation - all you need to know is that, at the time of the setting, Catholics and Protestants really didn't get along.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”