New game ideas

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Goatkiller666 wrote:Sorry for the double-post, but... more Cthulhu-themed stuff. I just stumbled across Pokéthulhu on the Interwebs. That, in turn reminded me of this old comic I used to read, Hello Cthulhu.
Haha! That was totally unexpected. Did you ever see any Calls to Cthulhu? I think I only watched part of one - it's one of those ideas that sounds hilarious, but just inspires a few wry smirks before the x button.

Just for everyone's information - I will be running Rogue Trader. The setting is the Koronus Expanse in the Warhammer 40k universe, though more specifically the setting will be primarily on board the Rogue Trader's vessel (these things really are huge). For those not familiar with the setting, imagine a quasi-medieval (sociologically) science-fiction setting, in which the atmosphere is heavily centred on horror. 40k is a bleak universe in which there really are no 'good-guys', just zealots, fascists, xenophobes, genocidal aliens, capricious potentates, and forces beyond the realms of existence and comprehension, committed to the corruption and destruction of everything living.

I have three definite players - Lore, Dorian, and one other non-foum member. I think Stonemagnet also said he would like to play, is this true?

More players would be fine, though four is perfectly acceptable should noone else be willing/able.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I like calls for cthulhu eh. Have watched a few of them. Im a subscriber to their youtube channel. the idea does get old.

I have two character ideas for rogue trader. I like both so am happy with either of them.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am either playing a Navigator or an explorator.

Also, I believe I will be co-modding the game sometime later in the year. Although I may focus on the Calixis sector, running Dark Heresy games.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^Yep I'm definately keen on the Rogue trader vibe, where would I be able to download the necessary documentation? P.M me if you like.

Yea I agree on the Calls for Cthulhu front. Hello Cthulhu is pretty deece though, but my fav is the French strip "Unspeakable Vault (of Doom)" I posted in the H.P Lovecraft thread. Besides the occasional translation problems its great. Yum yum!

www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/vault00-cast.html
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh, shiny. More web comix!

(Oh, and I'm down for whatever game someone is running. I would like to get the rules, and more information on what these careers are, though. I have no experience with the 40k system.)
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

what Goat said...gimme rules, please....
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

I've tracked down Dark Heresy but Rogue Trader is elusive...
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Stone Magnet wrote:I've tracked down Dark Heresy but Rogue Trader is elusive...
Rogue Trader has only just been released, and I think most people didn't get their regular mail order copies until a week or two ago. My brother has one, and I have ordered one for my own use.

Of course, not that I would endorse piracy :wink: ...but I imagine typing in "Rogue Trader RPG download" would prove interesting. Check out the official page on Fantasy Flight's website just to get a basic idea of the game.

Of course, when I set the forum up I will post all the legit info I can find.

For now, keep in mind that these are the career classes:

Rogue Trader - the Lord-Captain of the ship. A member of an established mercantile family, with enormous legal authority to advance the cause of humanity.
Missionary - basically what it sounds like; on a mission to spread the Faith of the God Emperor of Mankind to the galaxy (meanwhile smiting heretics and vile xenos wherever they are found).
Explorator - basically a high-level tech priest charged with advancing the exploration of the galaxy.
Arch-Militant - a high-level fighter (ex-soldier, bounty-hunter etc...the true professional kind of warrior).
Seneschal - a kind of scholar/spy/merchant...an interesting career. Imagine something like a hands-on Prime Minister/Factor for a Rogue Trader family.
Void Master - a ship's officer, basically.
Astropath Transcendent - a psyker of great talent, primarily used aboard the vessel for inter-galactic communication.
Navigator - the ship's navigator, crucial for traversing the Warp (those guys with the third eye which can kill with a glance).

Something to keep in mind about this game is that it doesn't play like most RPGs. The characters start off fairly experienced, and have access to finances and equipment well and truly beyond the scope of traditional characters. These are not the sort of people who spend their time rifling through slain enemies for a few coppers.

The stakes and rewards in Rogue Trader are high. Play is often focussed on Endeavours (trade/exploration missions, establishing colonies etc). The Rogue Trader's ship usually has a compliment of about 20,000 crew and receives financial backing from inter-stellar merchant families, and legal authority to do almost anything in the uncharted zones of the galaxy.

40k is a vibrant and interesting setting. It is well established and hugely detailed. That said, there is a wealth of info out there on it for the uninitiated. It is not a setting for people who want to play My Pretty Pony :wink: Humanity has become a sprawling galactic empire where necessity dictates injustice and brutality as the only sure means of survival. That which is not prescribed is vigourously hunted down to extinction. Dark Gods work against existence, slowly and surely eroding the fabric of reality, bent on the destruction of everything living.

Keep in mind that Rogue Trader is not the 40k wargame (though it's the same setting), the focus is different. Playing the alien races is not a possibility, and the same goes for playing Space Marines. I am open to negotiation when it comes to character types, however.

Finally, there will be only one Rogue Trader character (and there must be one to start the campaign). Give serious consideration to the career if you're interested. It will take a player with a good commitment, as much of what everyone does hinges upon what the Rogue Trader does (this is not to say he/she is the main character or the sole focus, however).
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Ok, just so people know, so far we have these character types selected by various players:

Navigator - it is acceptable for more than one player to be a Navigator, though they might be a little redundant if there are too many. Most ships would have one senior Navigator, and maybe one or two junior ones. These psykers are rare and highly prized.

Arch-Militant - as many people could play this career type as desire to. If someone else wishes to play a combat character, however, they might want to consider playing a Void Master and taking combat specialties, just for variety.

Astropath Transcendent or Rogue Trader - one player has pitched both of these ideas as possible options for them to play. However, everyone has the right to be considered for the Rogue Trader character if they want to, so do not consider the RT as being yet filled.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

There are some very basic rules given in their free download teaser adventure.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/ ... ality).pdf

It's basically WFRP rules, from what I could tell, with tech options added to the mix. So, not TOO much of a learning curve to get my head around, but probably worth getting my hands on the full book when it's available.

And by "available" I mean that I'd go buy it, of course. I wouldn't dream of espousing piracy. (Though... consider the irony of people developing a game where the characters are encouraged to go out and plunder without remorse, and then trying to enforce Copywrite laws on that game.)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Goatkiller666 wrote: And by "available" I mean that I'd go buy it, of course. I wouldn't dream of espousing piracy. (Though... consider the irony of people developing a game where the characters are encouraged to go out and plunder without remorse, and then trying to enforce Copywrite laws on that game.)
:haha:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, in case anyone was wondering, Rule 34 applies to Gas Masks as well.

I checked. I kinda thought I'd be a bit put off by that, but it turns out I'm a fan, and I'm strangely okay with that fact.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I had to look up what Rule # 34 meant, then I wondered "does Rule 34 apply to the Warhammer 40,000 setting?" It does.

As for the rules - Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader have almost identical rules to Warhammer Fantasy, with additions based purely off the setting differences. Psychic powers, guns, etc are all new to DH and RT, but the most obvious differences are the experience system and the ship combat rules.

Don't get bogged down in the rules, however...I will make all of the rolls in the early days, and I don't want people to conceive the reality in terms of a series of dice-throws.

Edit: And just as I was typing this, my copy was hand-delivered to my front door. Really.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I really wanta copy of these rules eh.

Hmmm
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"eh?". That's it... Whatever career I get, she's gonna have a Canadian accent.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:I really wanta copy of these rules eh.

Hmmm
I don't know if they service NZ, but Fishpond.com.au guaruntee they are cheaper than Amazon (after shipping). My copy was only $50 Aust, with the shipping waived. For a product that is in stores here for about $90, that's extraordinarily cheap.

RT is one of the biggest RPG books I've seen - 400 pages, and extremely attractively presented.

As for Canadian accents, what's that all aboot?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Montresor wrote:As for Canadian accents, what's that all aboot?
I assume...

Great White North
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

lol canadian accents in a universe where canada no longer exists :P
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Lookie here, buddy! There can be Canadian roots to some planets, just like there are asian or german roots to other planets.

My home planet will just be a little more polite than most others. If there's a weapon like a hockey stick... it's ON, eh?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Return to “Gravin Threndor”