New game ideas

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

New game ideas

Post by Dorian »

hey guys, hows things?

i was talking to montresor and the conversation turned to new games that we could run. Now with borderlands at a standstill, and empires gonners, there should be space for one more game, as well as it adding something to do whilst waiting for pantheon turn results.

Well montresor has done a good job of convincing me into considering it.

Anyway after a bit of a brainstorming, one main idea has cropped up.

A new world/ new frontier style game. Each player would take the role of a Governor of a new colony on some new island in a world newly into the Gunpowder era.

The game would involve many elements such as; keeping your colonists happy, taxes, tithes, troublesome locals, religious pilgrims, exploration, trading etc.

as you can imagine, a game like this has alot of scope for ideas. I like the idea of it alot.

so, I guess Im asking what you guys all think of the idea? I have similar ideas in the back of my mind if this one isn't so popular, but I think it has alot of potential. Im dead keen to do it. So please consider it and let me know what you think. Feel free to ask any questions. its late, I'm tired, and I'm sure I've missed something.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

You' ve piqued my interest.
Keep me updated please.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

It sounds good to me. The eighteenth century is maybe my favourite historical period, so I'd love to play a game in this kind of setting. Playing a governor would be a good compromise with not giving the game too large a scope, and keeping it from being little more than just a small-scale mercantile thing.

The trick is to keep it very simple. Lots of options only fools people into thinking they can do a million things, when they can do only ten or twelve. A few options tends to make people more creative to think outside the rules.

I would like to see the game have a not-so-militaristic focus, and to reflect some of the social values of the time (i.e. people hated their sovereign having large armies).

One piece of advice - make it like Earth, but not Earth. That way, you can avoid bending history, and also stop every monkey and his uncle wanting to play Britain. :)
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I love the idea of a new world historical concept. Definitely would work well as an RPG.

How about Heroes and Villains?

Begin as a basic character with one minimal power (flight, xray vision, super speed, strength factor, etc. ) Earn increase in native power, additional powers, hero/villain hidden lair or headquarters. Climb the ladder of respect within hero and villain teams by deeds. The usual drill. Of course things could ascend to Galactic / Godlike levels at the very top of the heap. I'm sure there have been games with this theme for years.

Just a suggestion. Perhaps I might even participate myself. 8O
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the New World game and the Heroes and Villains one being the same, and I was thinking "what crack is this guy smoking?" :D

A Superhero/Villain game would definitely be popular.

I've been thinking about doing a gang game, possibly as a reboot/sequel to Borderlands, if I have to cancel that one.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Montresor wrote:For a moment there I thought you were talking about the New World game and the Heroes and Villains one being the same, and I was thinking "what crack is this guy smoking?" :D
Yes I understand. Actually I'm smoking ultra-crack mixed with shredded golden age comic books. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Dammat. See this is what kills me. I don't have the time to play ALL The games I want to play. Urgh. And they all sound fun as hell.

If I end up playing a second game, it'd be one that was relatively easily played. Pantheon's taking up the majority of my worldbuilding thought processes, so I'm leaning towards the Gangs of Kevins Watch (or whatever)

But they all sound great.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I could most definitely manage to play another game. Make me less insane while waiting around for Pantheon, eh? :lol: And I'd be interested in either of the ideas so far.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Fist and Faith wrote:I could most definitely manage to play another game. Make me less insane while waiting around for Pantheon, eh? :lol: And I'd be interested in either of the ideas so far.
Ya gotta get into Warcraft Fist!! :P :biggrin:
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Is it real-time? I can't do real-time games.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

been messing with some basic mapping software. just messing around with hte style of island. not sure how happy I am, but yeah, take a look anyway

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Damn, you know Google Earth and Photoshop is the way to go!!

But, yeah, that looks good, actually.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Google earth and photo shop dont have the old school hand drawn look I was hopin for :P
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Then use your hands, you lazy bastard! :P

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Also, cool thing about this program is that I can easily add a grid, or have a gridded version for myself for ease of use.

as well as add cool little curved names like classical maps etc
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

new island map. sorry for The size. just getting used to this map thing. Quite liking it. This has several land marks etc on it, and the cool text feature. let me know what you think.

Dotted lines running through the mountains are known passes, Each square is roughly 20 miles, the rough distance a wagon can travel by road in a day. Not sure about scale yet but thats what its seeming like so far.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh...I really like that for an 18th century-ish concept.
It strikes me as a little busy and a legend will be handy
but it looks really great!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

The busy-ness of it is to give you an idea of terrain, for example, the west coast is meant to be a great thick forest. But your right. As it was, doing a new world and not covering the entire thing in trees is hard, as most natural undisturbed islands tend to be locked in trees. But point taken.

as for legend, rest assured that will be included in a final version
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excellent map!! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I like it. The map is maybe a little too crowded, and I don't think the grid suits the theme (I think grids can be done without, to be honest). Otherwise it looks nice.

Return to “Gravin Threndor”