Casting call

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Hi Meggie, I have not seen you here before, but then, I am quite new here myself! Anyway: welcome!

Aliantha wrote this in the movie-thread:
Is Alan Rickman the guy who plays Professor Snape in Harry Potter? 'Cause that guy would make a pretty good Eremis, I think -- he's certainly slimy enough....
And I think the discussion then went on to whether Alan was sexy enough (which I do think he is, but then I have always fallen for the bad guys in movies... I will count to three. There will not be a four. - Die hard).
SLATFATF...
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I always thought Julian Sands (Boxing Helena, Warlock etc...) would make a wonderful Eremis.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I agree, but PLEASE don't mention that 1st movie again! That has to be the WORST movie ever made!!!! (barf, gag!!!)
fall far and well Pilots!
IrrationalSanity

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I don't have ideas for everyone, but here are some...
Terisa: Kirsten Dunst
Gereden: I'll buy Heath, though in his younger days I would have said Matthew Broderick.
Eremis: Tom Cruise
Elega: Nicole Kidman
Myste: Natalie Portman
Kragen: Wil Smith
Ribald: John Goodman
Joyce: Sean Connery (Would have been Heston before the Alz)
Madin: Liz Taylor
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

I also have some ideas.

Terisa: Sadie Frost (I really love to have her as Terisa when she looks like this www.stuart.cann.freeuk.com/Sadie_Frost.JPG )
Geraden: Jude Law
Eremis: A thinner and younger Alan Rickman
Elega: I can go for Nicole Kidman. I like her very much as an actress.
Myste: Kirsten Dunst could play Myste instead of Terisa :D .
Kragen: Rupert Everett with moustache
[/img][/url]
My God, it's full of stars!
-Dave Bowman
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

IrrationalSanity wrote: Eremis: Tom Cruise
Over my dead body! He has zero sex appeal, zero charisma (the stare gets boring after a while), and is also too Hollywood-pretty for Eremis. Apart from the fact that a movie like that is only as strong as its villain.

But that makes me think of something else: I can somehow see Katie Holmes play Terisa. She wouldn't be my first choice acting-wise, but worse things could happen. And she's got the looks.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

The perfect Eremis would have been John Malkovich during his 'Dangerous Liasons' period, hands down. Although not exactly how I 'picture' him visually, he has the PERFECT demeanor
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Isn't Stanley Tucci the obvious choice for Eremis? Although I would lean towards Patrick Stewart myself.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

8O .. patrick Stewart? I love the man as an actor, but by all accounts of Eremis, he does not fit it. I've seen Stewart act sleazy (see the 'I Claudius" series), but even then, I don't think he is Eremis.

Stanley Tucci... hmm, interesting. But isn't he really too short? A small point, really, I know. But that is an interesting choice,,,

more thought needed.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Usivius wrote: I've seen Stewart act sleazy (see the 'I Claudius" series), but even then, I don't think he is Eremis.
Eremis was never a sleaze! He was intelligent and compelling, which for the most part masked a stong streak of arrogance, a lack of compassion, and a temper. And like all bad guys, he was sure he was doing the right things for the right reasons.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

I thought that Tom Skerritt could play Lebbick.

Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

How about Dougray Scott for Artagel? He was the prince in "Ever After" and looks good with long hair and a sword. And I think he's not too old yet.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Phantasm wrote:I thought that Tom Skerritt could play Lebbick.

Perfect!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
ob3r0n
Servant of the Land

Post by ob3r0n »

It would be wonderful to see these books made into a mini-series ala Game of Thrones, yes? The suggestions made so far have all pretty much aged themselves out of the running, save perhaps Malcolm McDowell as Joyce.

I'm not up-to-speed on up and coming new actors, but I think everyone can agree someone like Matthew Broderick (ala Lady Hawke) as Geraden, with the same passive beauty as Rachel McAdams, the arrogance of Alan Rickman as Eremis, the held-in anger that Tom Skerritt was capable of for Lebbick.
_________
Those who have not learned to transform their suffering inevitably transmit their suffering. (Richard Rohr)

It's Clobberin' Time! (Benjamin Grimm)
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Welcome, ob3ron! a rat in a cage, I see... has some relevance to characters in MN?

(I would sound really clueless commenting on your content, cause I seldom remember actor's names... I'm just delighted to see someone posting in this sub-forum! :biggrin: )

Though if the guy you're thinking of for Lebbick is capable of lots of held-in-anger and looks like the guy Phantasm just posted... I agree that would be pretty awesome!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:Welcome, ob3ron! a rat in a cage, I see... has some relevance to characters in MN?
Means he likes to smash pumpkins ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Fascinating posts. I don't know many modern actors. Alan Rickman I cannot imagine as Emeris. Even though he was wonderful in HP, as Mr Slope in the Barchester Chronicles and in Truly, Madly, Deeply, if I could have any actor alive or dead it would have to be Vincent Price. But where to fit in his side-kick Peter Laurie :)

Marty Feldman as Havelock - yes. Saw him in a film once called "Every Home should have One" - many years ago but I seem to remember it was about advertising, and he stole women's knickers off washing lines. One of the funniest things I ever saw. He could do very strange things with his eyes.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."

Return to “Mordant's Need”