AAAggghhhh!!!! HOW COULD SHE?? (ending spoiler)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I agree with Vraith.
:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

tomposer wrote:
Spoiler
I still think SD is asking a lot of us with this one. I've put aside such niggling questions about his stories in the past, and I no doubt will again in this case. But even though I love his stuff and I'll push on, I'm going to have trouble accepting this one on face value.

This is the crux: It seems to me SD is pushing the believability envelope of the Linden character. I can accept that she had to do it. I can accept that she realised she'd made a terrible mistake. But I still have difficulty with the notion of her going from defiant confidence - defiant in the face of multiple warnings about what very well may happen - to complete, utter despondency immediately upon being advised of her mistake. As I said, this should not have surprised her.
Spoiler
I don't think that the change in Linden's attitude is as implausible as you seem to be suggesting. Many people who are normally very calm have a tendency to "snap" when the stress they're under reaches certain levels. It could be that Linden simply had a nervous breakdown... or maybe her emotions got the better of her and she went a little crazy. She might calm down and return to normal after a few minutes.
El_Stupido
Servant of the Land

My thoughts on this

Post by El_Stupido »

Just finished. Literally. Like 15 minutes ago.

Wow. What a book.

first up, a practicality: SRD had to bring the real covenant back from the dead before this series was over least he call the series The First Chronicles of Linden Avery in lieu of TLCOTC.

I think it's a great way for him to come back. Stephen's work in the Chronicles is all about the consequences of actions, some for good some for bad.

This is a dire choice for Linden to make, and the effects of it will be fully felt in the next book.

The worm is already a given now. Cool.

I think if TC is living again, that maybe he's also not the time guardian anymore... That would be a manoeuvre most foul...
El_Stupido
Servant of the Land

Post by El_Stupido »

Solar wrote:
tomposer wrote:
Spoiler
I still think SD is asking a lot of us with this one. I've put aside such niggling questions about his stories in the past, and I no doubt will again in this case. But even though I love his stuff and I'll push on, I'm going to have trouble accepting this one on face value.

This is the crux: It seems to me SD is pushing the believability envelope of the Linden character. I can accept that she had to do it. I can accept that she realised she'd made a terrible mistake. But I still have difficulty with the notion of her going from defiant confidence - defiant in the face of multiple warnings about what very well may happen - to complete, utter despondency immediately upon being advised of her mistake. As I said, this should not have surprised her.
Spoiler
I don't think that the change in Linden's attitude is as implausible as you seem to be suggesting. Many people who are normally very calm have a tendency to "snap" when the stress they're under reaches certain levels. It could be that Linden simply had a nervous breakdown... or maybe her emotions got the better of her and she went a little crazy. She might calm down and return to normal after a few minutes.
Spoiler
It's the TC factor, she loves him and trusts him. She thinks that's what he meant when he said 'Find me!! Do something Foul won't think you'll do"...

(Although I reckon Foul was hoping she'd do that cause she saw the worm at the start of her summoning)

She needed TC to say 'Don't Do It You Crazy Lady' but he couldn't.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many spoiler tags. Remember, the general rule is that spoilers are only necessary for information of some future event that isn't known to the average reader. For example, for the Fatal Revenant forum, an example of spoiler material would be the AATE chapter on SRD's website. Otherwise, any topic from 1st or 2nd Chronicles, ROTE or FR is fair game here and would not require a spoiler tag.
Robin R-E Rudolph
Servant of the Land

Post by Robin R-E Rudolph »

Ahhhh little do you know. Get "Against All Things Ending" and be prepared to be amazed.
Spoiler
And it is not the end....
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

Robin R-E Rudolph wrote:Ahhhh little do you know. Get "Against All Things Ending" and be prepared to be amazed.
Spoiler
And it is not the end....
i'm amazed!!!! 8O 8O 8O
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchett - Jingo
byronmace
Servant of the Land

caesures

Post by byronmace »

Pharinet wrote:Did I somehow misunderstand TC's relationship to the AoT? I thought that he was a part of the AoT now. Then, I read in FR that he's its "gaurdian." So...was he there to defend it...near it...or part of it.

I can't see him being a part of it and then being summoned back to life without that breaking the arch...an integral part of it would be missing. The caesures may wear at the arch, but we are led to understand that the pieces are thrown back at it...not so with TC's summoning.

Thoughts? Clarifications?

And yeah, I'm also kind of uncertain about how I feel regarding LA bringing TC back. I kind of wanted to see Stave love her, hahaha (as unlikely as that is)...now that chance is blown!
Caesures are like Black holes no piece of time is lost, only scramblesd...

Return to “Fatal Revenant”