Gap Dissection

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'll need a few more days to finish the next Forbidden Knowledge chapter dissection thread, so I'm bumping it back to June 13th, 2019. I'll try to have it up by then! :oops:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Well, it took me another four days extra from my last projection, but here's the chapter discussion thread on when Morn saves Davies by diverting his ejection pod and gets doped-up on orders from Nick as a result:

Forbidden Knowledge 30 - Chapter 21

[Edited for typos.]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'm bumping back the posting of the chapter dissection thread for "Forbidden Knowledge 31 - Angus [4]" to Monday, June 24th.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:I'm bumping back the posting of the chapter dissection thread for "Forbidden Knowledge 31 - Angus [4]" to Monday, June 24th.
*sigh* My boss wants me to be ready to do a hike at 7 in the morning, so I'll have to bump the posting of the final FK chapter dissection thread to Tuesday, July 25th. I have it written up, but have not gotten around to typing it up, yet. It will be done soon.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The final Forbidden Knowledge chapter dissection thread is up! Click on the following thread title to get to it quickly:

Forbidden Knowledge 31- Angus [4]

MANY thanks to Avatar, Skyweir, Lord Foul, Effaeldm, and StevieG for their help by creating discussion threads for several of these FK chapters!!! :bwave: :yourock:
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

And many more thanks to Cord Hurn, who did most, that is, practically all of the work :D :clap: :yourock:

And if the dissections of A Dark And Hungry God are going to happen (hmm... sounds more visceral than FK dissections) - unless something drastic happens, I intend to take a chapter, or maybe a few.

For now I'm interested in the one with Hashi's journal (but can take something else if someone wants it specifically), and I think I'll have a look and maybe name some others too.

Just in case - this doesn't mean I suggest to proceed with dissections right now, I understand this takes serious effort, I'm just starting to plan a bit ahead - worked for me earlier :)
A role-player, beware
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yep, great job Cord!

Like Effy, I'm happy to do a chapter or more in the next instalment.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you so much, Effaeldm and StevieG, for the encouragement! I wish to rest up a bit, after the completion of the Forbidden Knowledge dissections, for it was starting to get difficult for me to keep up with them, and turn in my dissection posts on time!

I DO like the idea of starting on a Group Read of A Dark And Hungry God Arises, and if we do them, I certainly will appreciate the help!! :grinlove: I think that a Group Reading of ADAHGA would turn out to be easier than the Group Read for FK, because ADAHGA is faster-paced and has shorter chapters than FK.

For the present, I'm going to spend a bit of time reading the newest SRD book The War Within, as I purchased it over four months ago and haven't gotten around to enjoying it. :read: I just need a little vacation before I consider tackling the next Gap book, is all.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good job on the dissection, CH. :D Agree you did most of the work.

I'll be in for a couple of chapters of teh next one when we get there, but no rush. :)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

This is only a rough estimate, but I think we will probably start doing the chapter dissections for A Dark And Hungry God Arises beginning either December 2019 or January 2020.

The first thing I'll do is create a sticky thread in the Ancillary Documentation subforum, with a post included that is summarizing the chapters to make it easier for volunteers to decide which chapters they'd like to do. I will probably do this in October or November 2019.

Thank you again to Effaeldm, StevieG, and Avatar for your offers to help and also for your kind words. We may get around to starting sooner than I expect, but I'd rather overestimate the amount of time it will take me to finish reading The War Within and to comment on the TWW thread than to underestimate how long it will take me.

Basically, I'm currently being asked to do a lot of work by my employer (the USDA Forest Service) to go hike out in the woods and find rare animals for them, and am often asked to do some overtime. I love the work, but it can be exhausting and leave me little time for writing dissections and remembering to send reminders to others of due dates. That should change after October, when the demand for such work from me dwindles dramatically. Then it shouldn't be too long before we can really get going on this.

Effaeldm, I will be very glad to give you the dissection for the Ancillary Documentation chapter concerning Hashi's journal; it's yours! :biggrin:

There are already dissection threads posted for the first chapter ("Holt"), and for the eleventh chapter ("Warden [2]"), as they were written by me when I first read ADAHGA back in 2014, and I was using the writing of them as practice for the task of writing dissections for several chapters of The Last Dark. If no one objects, I propose that I simply add new posts to these threads to "bump them up" at the appropriate times rather than re-writing them.

Thank you all for your patience, and I am enjoying my read of The War Within in the meantime!
:) :read:
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Enjoy TWW, CH!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you, Hunchback Jack! I've gotten a slow start on TWW, but now that the read is going I'm enjoying it!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:The first thing I'll do is create a sticky thread in the Ancillary Documentation subforum, with a post included that is summarizing the chapters to make it easier for volunteers to decide which chapters they'd like to do. I will probably do this in October or November 2019.
Well, I've gotten the sticky thread created concerning the A Dark And Hungry God Arises group read, although I haven't gotten around to writing up summaries of all the ADAHGA chapters. Anyone interested in dissecting ADAHGA can use a shortcut to get to this group read scheduling thread by clicking on the following title:

A Dark And Hungry God Arises Group Read

Post by Avatar »

Oh shit, I'm late with my dissection. :D Oops, sorry. Before end of week.

--A
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Ugh sorry in all th years I never did one of these as far as I remember, how do I get in on this where do I start is it too late?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

See Cord Hurn's post a couple before yours. Follow the link.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Post by Avatar »

It's never too late. :D

Also, we're only on Book 3. (Actually, CH has been doing most of the work. ;) )

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Gadget nee Jemcheeta wrote:Ugh sorry in all th years I never did one of these as far as I remember, how do I get in on this where do I start is it too late?
I appreciate your interest in helping with the dissection of the Gap, Gadget nee Jemcheeta! I have just now sent you a PM with more information. Please feel free to PM me back if you have any questions! 8)

Post by Avatar »

Ok, really, no later than this weekend I promise.

Sorry. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Ok, really, no later than this weekend I promise.

Sorry. :D

--A
Thank you for the update, Avatar, and for your hard work on the dissection! Will be standing by. :)

Return to “The Gap Series”