Fatal Revenant: Part 1, Chapter 4, A Defense of Revelstone

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Fatal Revenant: Part 1, Chapter 4, A Defense of Revelstone

Post by Stutty »

I had hoped to accomplish this dissection without a plot synopsis. I have nothing personal against them; it just seems a Cliff’s Notes condensation being presented to a group you absolutely KNOW read the material seems a little inefficient. So I set about my task with this in mind and thereby found my first obstacle.

A plot synopsis is absolutely required for this chapter to make the case for the entire premise of this dissection. “What is the point of this chapter?” At thirty one pages it’s the second longest so far and only three pages shorter than the John Holmes of the book. (I had to stop myself from calculating a mean and standard deviation by walking to the kuhlschrank for a bier.) The point is, it’s longish, and what really ‘happens’?

Section I
-Linden thinks about some stuff

Section II
-Linden talks to some people about some stuff

Section III
-Linden closes the caesure the Demondim were using to access the Illearth Stone.

Clearly, not action oriented, plot driven, fast and furious thriller material.

So what was the point? In fact, we have five things that I believe SRD wanted to us to think about.

1. That ain’t Thomas Covenant

It’s all there. She recognizes the fidelity of Mahrtiir’s reproduction of TC when he describes what was said through Anele. I believe it’s even implied that Mahrtiir’s mimic seemed more TC’ish than the TC she was talking to. She convinces herself it’s the strain of being in two places at the same time. Page 87, Linden acknowledges the TC she saw seemed disingenuous. Page 90 Linden fears to dream of TC’s voice as she remembers it rather than how it is now – “she might lose the last of her frayed resolve.” When confronting the Demondim she again questions that TC is telling the truth. She’s walking a line of self-delusion and self-preservation, partly not listening to her heart. My first read through this registered as a head nod to THOOLAH, thinking it was whiny self-questioning hand wringing, but following this depth of analysis (which I haven’t done in oh twenty years) I have a new opinion, to be discussed further along in point number 5. For now we’ll wrap up with the idea that all signs point to TC as being a TC imposter. I do have doubts, but I still believe it’s the genuine article. Millennia stuck in the Arch of Time would make anyone a bit cranky.

2. Ruminations on the Staff of Law

For some reason, and this one I don’t pretend to understand, SRD wants us right now to ponder the differences between the old and new Staff of Law. It’s just a few lines of text, and what follows is basically what I scribbled for notes.
- She knew they weren’t identical (black color, runes)
- Berek’s was crafted by lore and earned wisdom from the a limb of the One Tree
- Hers was formed with urgency and wild magic and Findail and Vain
- Berek’s and Linden’s understanding of Law could be vastly different
- For all she knew the only thing they had in common were the heels, forged by Berek.
- The magic transforming Vain’s forearm may have been the Worm at the World’s End instead of the One Tree.
- Both are tools of Earthpower, formed of love and yearning to sustain the land.
- “Be cautious of love. There is glamour on it which binds the heart to destruction.” Does this mean Linden is destined to destroy the Land?

Make of that what you will. It’s easy enough to take some of these points and speculate if the new and the old staff are the same thing. That maybe the heels are somehow the manacles. The question for me remains, “Why does SRD put this text right here?”

3. Who is “he?”

I brought this one up in a thread shortly after finishing FR, and it got a couple of responses before getting covered up in all the new posts. After Glimmermere, Mahrtir is recounting Anele’s channeling of TC when he says, “I can only say all of this once. And I can’t explain it. As soon as he notices what I’m doing, he’ll stop me. If I even say his name, he’ll stop me before I can finish.” Just who in the hell is “he?” It’s a crucial question. It doesn’t seem to me that Kastenessen is powerful enough to control who talks through Anele, which leaves us with Lord Foul manning the Anele communication channels (which kinda fits, but is also a little too “hands on” for LF.) On the other hand (and I just had this idea) what if Anele is actually just an open circuit available to whoever and that “he” was not threatening to cut off TC from Anele, but from stopping TC at the source. What if the Creator could stop TC due to TC’s existence in the AoT? It wouldn’t technically be reaching through the AoT to change things if he was tweaking something within the AoT itself would it? It’s interesting though, to consider that whoever “he” is, he didn’t want TC to tell them the things he did….. oy, my head is spinning.

4. The power of inadequacy

We know this is a common theme in the Chronicles and why not? It’s right up SRD’s alley with it’s built in paradox. Just before stomping off to deal with the Demondim issue, Linden has a go at Galt who is relaying to her that TC does not think she should attempt the Demondim. She gets in his face and recounts the story of Brinn and how he “became your greatest hero, because he was a failure.” Acknowledging that he did not have the skill to defeat Kenaustin Ardenol, was when discovered the means to achieve it. It’s a fascinating turn of concept, and rings of Truth (capital “T” intentional.) More about this as we wrap up point 5.

5. Linden’s transformation

This is the big one, the meat, the biggest reason to write this chapter. From the beginning we’ve been reading about a coming storm and storm imagery. “Tumult, torn gusts, confusion, wind-whipped.” There’s clouds a brewing on page 73 and on page 74 we have some lovely imagery – “A light drizzle was falling from the darkened sky: the seepage of leaden clouds.” The weather, which occludes her vision in the beginning of the chapter, is also present the morning she approaches the Demondim. To make a musical analogy, the rain is like a bass note throughout the entire chapter. Melodies and chord progressions move around it, but this rain is the foundation, or perhaps the central pillar around which everything moves.

And in classic symbolism, what is rain and water? Growth, cleansing, and rebirth. With Linden’s view of the Demondim “veiled” by that rain I think we have local symbolism saying that rain is her “inadequacy.” It plays out like this:

- Linden is unable to close the caesure on her own (she's inadequate)
- The urviles and the Waynhim (creatures who loath the inadequate nature of their existence) supercharge Linden’s healthsense
- Linden is now able to close the caesure.
Or in the language of the symbolism, "the rain is a problem, but it is washed away by the rain."

To me, this is a very clear statement to inadequacy enabling strength. It’s a remarkable self-referencing circular metaphor, where water and rain are the problem and the solution, where inadequacy is the disease and the cure. I really struggled with this paragraph, and I hope I got across how profound I found this idea to be. It is I think, the big Kahuna.

There’s lots more to say about this chapter. Linden gets whiny and self-doubty here, a Linden feature I’ve never liked. But I have this to say, while she moans and questions, she does make a decision and pick a path. She takes her doubt and says, “ok, I’ll stick with this TCish guy until I know what he’s up to.” Imagine the strength it takes to make a decision like that, and compare her to our favorite hero who followed the stick in the stream philosophy of “just keep moving” in LFB.

As I said, I haven’t done an analysis like this in twenty years, and I’m sure my rusty tools were strained to their limits. But it was a remarkable experience to turn this strict attention to SRD’s writings. I’m more amazed by his skill than I ever have been. I took several pages of notes, and have at least three more pages I could type, just on this one paragraph. Truly an amazing author.

APPENDIX I - Mantras

I believe in the Gap books, SRD really adopted the use of what I call “mantras.” Short phrases repeated quoted in the mind of the character holding the POV. They serve as mild jolts to remind you of the mental/emotional state of the POV. For this chapter, I noted these

Mantras:
Ask that callow puppy
She can do this. Tell her I said that
There’s no one else who can even make the attempt
It’s hard now, it’s going to get harder
You’ll have to make them listen to you
Do something they don’t expect
Trust yourself. You’re the only one who can do this
Trust yourself

APPENDIX II: SRD Wordy words: (note that Microsoft Word 2003 spell-checker recognized all of these save “lacustrine”)
Condign
fecund
telic
fug
denature
lacustrine
numinous
callow
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Stutt...I enjoy your by the numbers dissect. Within the numbers you make excellent intuitive discoveries.

In the visual arts " rain" often suggests an emotional state ,,that of, or leading to " crying" or tears. The instability and transforming nature of Human Crying,,the transcending nature of the emotional movement that is, to cry or be brought to tears..like you have stated ,,seems a steady pitter patter in the background of this chapter....Perhaps in here is the foundation of the Toolah ;) ...

This " he "...fascinating it is,,that this " he " ,,this mysterious " he "..is brought to our attention again, in the same chapter that,," rain" and inadequacy are so prevalent..There are possibilities that the " he" is the author, SRD..or just the idea..of filling out what it is to be a Human Being. I mean.. after all,, we are all our own Big Kahuna.

Yes,, much affirmation..positive push..in the mantras. Up against the TC of Part 1,,they seem necessary...and to some degree ,,make tangible the difference in Lindens SoL and Bereks as a difference that is okay in its Unknown...The Mantras push Linden into the Unknown with the suggestion that ,,its okay...fear not.

Thoroughly enjoyed your dissect Stutty. I agree,, SRD can defintely make ones head spin.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Excellent dissection Stutty! Unique format! The chapter really popped out at me!

This is one of the dangers of covering SRD's appearances and readings: I recorded (or at least tried to) FR chap. 6 two summers ago at Bubonicon (the New Mexico Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention). So when I first read this chapter I became a little mystified and confused-I didn't think the incarnation of TC would act this weird even
Spoiler
through I noted strange discourse, tremblings and displacements where taking place
in that next chapter. Maybe it's better not knowing what will take place next as I feel SRD tricked me, or rather, I tricked myself.

Yes the mantra of do something they don't expect easily carried me from one book to the next-love it. 8)
Last edited by danlo on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Damn fine dissection, stutty! What were you so worried about? ;)
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..I am not in a hurry to dismiss the closure of the caesure that allowed the Demodin access to the Illearth Stone,,as little advancement in plot tho. I was struck by the closure of an open wound,,a cauterizing if you will,,that the event seemed ,,in my brain,,to meta-morphed to.

Again,, it seems to work in reference to an Old wound ( time) and the whole " rain,,crying,,transcending inadequacy gist of this chapter....Like old wounds,,pains,, got to be healed first,,or let go of,,,before She can move on.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

lurch wrote: In the visual arts " rain" often suggests an emotional state ,,that of, or leading to " crying" or tears. The instability and transforming nature of Human Crying,,the transcending nature of the emotional movement that is, to cry or be brought to tears..like you have stated ,,seems a steady pitter patter in the background of this chapter....
Good call Lurch. In fact I remember a reference to the rain and her tears in the same sentance. In my notes I had noted that maybe the coming storm was her tears. Wow, really wrenches up the heartbreak level she must be feeling.
lurch wrote: ...The Mantras push Linden into the Unknown with the suggestion that ,,its okay...fear not.
Ok, the mantras now have a new emotional context for me, given the melancholy of the rain. She's sad like hell, she knows (in her heart) this ain't TC, and echoing in her head is the voice she recognizes and loves (who clearly isn't around) saying "it's alright, your strong enough."

That's powerful stuff. Thanks for helping me find it Lurch.

I'm conisdering an LA pin.

stutt (formerly of THOOLAH)
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

lurch wrote:..I am not in a hurry to dismiss the closure of the caesure that allowed the Demodin access to the Illearth Stone,,as little advancement in plot tho. I was struck by the closure of an open wound,,a cauterizing if you will,,that the event seemed ,,in my brain,,to meta-morphed to.
Obviously in the plotline this was a huge event for the survival of Revelstone, but it takes place on, what... five pages? My point was that the other 26 didn't have a lot of event stuff driving t hem. Not a complaint, it just raised the question in me, "what is this chapter really about then?"

And again Lurch we seem to have shared the same thought-space. In my notes as Linden is poking at the caesure with her inadequate healthsense I wrote "Linden goes into surgeon mode." Will have to look at the specific passage tonight to see if we may keyed off specific words or had Jungian moment. :D

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Stutt..well i sensed a metaphor in the idea of the Dem using a caesure to access the Ill Earth Stone..The element of Time put the green stone in the past..so i gathered a " olde wound" or " olde illness" that hadn't been healed or taken care of. As noted,, the " inadequacy issue' seems a likely candidate as to the center of the metaphor,,and the center of Lindens emotional state,,which she transcends.

As you have already expressed well,, the circular resolution to this " conflicted state" of hers, is a done well by the author and a powerful hint. Its not a linear process. Its not a western Logical process, but rather a Eastern, intuitive process.,,spherical,,that Linden experiences,,and perhaps,,begins to Trust.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hi, all. Once again, this chapter caught me by surprise. (If only there was some sort of device for keeping track of future appointments ...)

Stutty, you did a really good job, and you can leave the synopsis out all you want to.
Stutty wrote:3. Who is “he?”
For various and sundry reasons, I am thinking Lord Foul here. It makes sense to me, as I believe that Covenant and Foul are now joined together, and have been since Hold Possession. Covenant probably has a hard time getting a moment to himself now.
stutty wrote:She gets in his face and recounts the story of Brinn and how he “became your greatest hero, because he was a failure.” Acknowledging that he did not have the skill to defeat Kenaustin Ardenol, was when discovered the means to achieve it. It’s a fascinating turn of concept, and rings of Truth (capital “T” intentional.)
I whole heartedly agree with your measure of its importance. In fact, I am looking for the mantra. "You've got to lose to know how to win." Dream on, dream on.

RE: water, rain, storm.

I'm not the guy who'll figure out metaphors at that level. I'll leave it to Lurch and you and Malik to ponder, and I'll be satisfied with letting whatever it does to me subconsciously or subliminally do its job.

But I will point out that there're several places in this chapter where Linden considers her inner turmoil a storm.
And she feared the storm of her own emotions when she stood before them again.

Her emotions gathered like the coming storm.

Her lassitude vanished: even her inward storm was pushed aside.

The clouds brewing over the upland held no malevolence; but they would bring darkness with them, concealment and drenching rain. Her own storm was already too much for her.

If that storm broke now, she would be unable to speak. She would only sob.
Donaldson sets up the double meaning of the word "storm" with these asides. So armed, he then weilds his double entendre quite effectively. When we then read these passages, we must think "the storm is Linden's turmoil" as we do:
Unnecessarily she added, "There's a storm coming, but it doesn't feel like the kind of weather that can hurt you."

Nevertheless she sensed that the worst of the storm had passed, that the rainfall was beginning to dwindle as the laden clouds drifted eastward.

When this storm broke over the plateau, it would bring only torrents, the necessary vehemence of the living world. And when it passed, it would leave lucent and enriched the grass-clad hillsides, the feather-leaved swaths of mimosa, the tall stands of cedar and pine.
Weee!

Hmmm I guess I have a bit to say about storm metaphors after all. :)
stutty wrote:I'm conisdering an LA pin.
We'll get you.

One at a time, we'll get you. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why does Linden bring up ceasures with her friends, first thing? Doesn't that seem odd? It is explained though. And worth examining.

Looking backwards, we can see that she's looking for a reason to blame herself for not being able to trust Covenant.

The ceasures, if you recall, give one a free ride into Linden's head, or whomever created them. So Linden's bringing up ceasures because she is, in a totally literal way, looking for insight into her own thinking. Insight which those who entered the ceasure might see. And Liand comes up with the nugget she's mining for.
"Our conjoining was severed when we emerged from the Fall, and I became myself again. Yet while we were one, I participated in your love for your son, and for Thomas Covenant. I was filled with your fear and pain, your extremity and desperation. I shared your resolve, which is greater than valor or might."

Liand did not hesitate now, or hold back. "And I saw that you have it within you to perform horrors. You have known the blackest cruelty and despair, and are able to inflict your full dismay upon any who may oppose you.

"This is the knowledge that you seek," he concluded. "is it not?"
It is. That blackest cruelty is what she wanted to find. Born of her father's suicide, raised on her mother's murder, and seeking sustenance with every urge to possess.

As we've said elsewhere, Linden's grown, and she's able to surmount her surpass her inner daemons --- but they are still there. They didn't magically disappear when she created the Staff and healed the Sunbane.

Ceasures as a tool of psychoanalysis.

Once confirmed, she uses this as an excuse to mistrust herself.
Was Covenant Jeremiah's puppet? Were they both puppets? Or did the fault lie in her? Liand, she believed, had answered those questions. In Covenant's name, she had prevailed against moksha Jehannum and the Sunbane; but Liand seemed to say that she had never truly healed the capacity for evil which Lord Foul's servants had exposed in her. Her inability to understand or trust Covenant and Jeremiah now was her failure, not theirs.
Poor Linden. You have to trust yourself! Any other plan is a mistake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

:!!!: She was prepared to support his purpose. But she would do so for Jeremiah's sake, and to oppose the Despiser If you're waiting for Linden to screw the Land to get her son back, it hasn't happened yet. She's still as committed to saving the Land as saving her son. As if they were the same thing.

:!!!: Together we gained the shores of the tarn. There we cast no reflection upon the waters, although Anele's image was plainly visible. Glimmermere recognizes Anele, as Covenant might have said. That was an indication of Covenant's stature -- and his hope. So Anele has that kind of stature, too. Is he that kind of hope as well?

:!!!: I just want to say, it took a lot of guts to confront the Demondim and the Illearth Stone while voluntarilly handicapping herself to spare Covenant and Jeremiah. Well done, Linden!

:?: Super-percipience! Dare we wonder if this will become useful again?
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Regarding storms
Another classic metaphor of storms is an indication that "the gods are not happy because someone is being misled." Probably falls into the "That ain't TC" heading.

Regarding caesures, I readily admit I recognized the importance of that section, but did not leave myself enough time to address it fully. I had hoped it would come out in the discussion, which it did. I do remember making a note that Stave's description of Linden's caesure was significant. Something about he was able to maintain seperateness from her, and he had observations other than Liands.... have to look that up tonight.

Good points all on your little bullets at the end. I had a fistfull I may throw out as interest in the thread wanes.

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Stutty wrote:I do remember making a note that Stave's description of Linden's caesure was significant. Something about he was able to maintain seperateness from her, and he had observations other than Liands.... have to look that up tonight.
"What about you, Stave? Can you offer anything more?" ...

"To that which the Manethrall and I have described, I will add one observation. Within the second Fall, the woman possessed by despair and
madness was absent. Rather I beheld you mounted upon Hyn. Within you blazed such wild magic that it was fearsome to witness. As in the first passage, I was drawn toward the mind of the wielder. But again I remained apart."

So. Twice Stave had preserved his separate integrity. Like the Ramen, he could not tell Linden what she needed to know.
Stave "remained apart". And so he saw something a bit different, a "surface" image of Linden. He saw only power, and the will of the Ranyhyn.

What is the significance of Stave's remaining apart, as compared to Liand's deep, empathic awareness?

Is it nothing more than Stave's iron Haruchai dispassion? Does it reflect a lack of commitment or belief or trust?
Stutty wrote:Good points all on your little bullets at the end. I had a fistfull I may throw out as interest in the thread wanes.
Oh, I think we're well into the waning stage. :(
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Hi stutty a great job done on the dissection of the chapter very impressive ;) Im still trying to read chapter I get back to ye if I come up with anything of any interest.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

That maybe the heels are somehow the manacles.
Interesting idea! Vain wore the Heels of the Staff as if they were manacles, and in the end they "shackled" both him and Findail. But we are told that the manacls were forged by the Ur-Viles. Did Ur-Viles even exist at the time of Berek, from which the Heels date?
Just who in the hell is “he?”
I've wondered that too, and I don't think it's Lord Foul. Rather I think there's someone else manipulating events behind the scenes.
Spoiler
Spoiler
the Mahdoubt also hints at this when Linden asks her why she didn't tell her the truth about everything straight up and she starts out "It is not permitted..."
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

wayfriend wrote:
What is the significance of Stave's remaining apart, as compared to Liand's deep, empathic awareness?

Is it nothing more than Stave's iron Haruchai dispassion? Does it reflect a lack of commitment or belief or trust?
A good question. Iron will, stoic nature, representative of the Master's disengagement with the reality of today's Land? I can't buy lack of commitment or belief of trust, when significant effort was made in the chapter to show just the opposite. Repeatedly Stave is pointed out as being behind her 100%. Of course, I'm at work and can't back up my claims. I remember a bit in the first couple of paragraphs, and I think it wraps up with the same idea. Stave is there for her.

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

wayfriend wrote: :!!!: Together we gained the shores of the tarn. There we cast no reflection upon the waters, although Anele's image was plainly visible. Glimmermere recognizes Anele, as Covenant might have said. That was an indication of Covenant's stature -- and his hope. So Anele has that kind of stature, too. Is he that kind of hope as well?
It's certain that Anele's reflection in Glimmermere is significant. I believe TC's the only other who has achieved that, (something about mortals being to insignificant for the lake to notice?) I remember TC casting the reflection when he went to retrieve the Krill, but I can't remember what was going on with him at the time. Was he supercharged with wild magic or dead or in the throes of venom? It's also interesting that Anele could be considered TC's complement. Where wild magic = chaos, and no friend but stone = order, Anele and TC could be yin/yang. hmmmm... wild magic engraven in every rock... We're not heading for a TC/Anele melding ala Vain and Findail are we?

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Stutty wrote:
wayfriend wrote: I remember TC casting the reflection when he went to retrieve the Krill, but I can't remember what was going on with him at the time.
TC took LA to Glimmermere after he went into the Banefire and was made into an alloy of wild magic and venom. Glimmermere recognized him because he was now a part of the Arch of Time.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, it seems that it was because TC was now part of the Arch. I think, now, we have to wonder if we assumed that, and until now nothing implied otherwise.

Because I don't think Anele is part of the Arch, too.

Unless ... here's a wild idea ... Anele may have been reflected because he contained some aspect of Covenant. Covenant possesses Anele to speak through him, and he did so immediately after we see this reflection. Perhaps Glimmermere reflected Covenant's presence.

Elena was pretty powerful, Linden was pretty powerful and important, and Glimmermere recognized neither of them. Ditto Covenant when he was unalloyed with the Arch. Does Anele have a greater stature than all of them?

Or does he have some sort of cosmic significance which Glimmermere considers important, something as significant as the transformed Covenant?

Perhaps this points to the theory that Anele will become some sort of super-Forestal, an Earthestal, a caretaker of the whole Earth. I brought forward this idea in Runes. I like that theory. Does Glimmermere predict the future?

I think if we're looking for some sort of way for the Land to "end", but to somehow live on nonetheless, Anele is going to figure in.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

For what its worth..it seems to me that Glimmer casting a reflection of a character has to do with the character achieving a Truth of themselves . If this was a video game,,Glimmer reflecting ones own image would be the threshold to a new level of play.

As to Anele's reflection, this wonderful character is a Truth veiled in insanity. I'm stepping into the quagmire of Surreal here so be understanding and careful. Anele has transcended Time. Anele hears the beyond ancient voice of the rock. Anele ,,as perceived by the reader,,and made intentionally so by the author,,makes no sense most of time and comes off as " somewhere else". Yet with careful reading we have been slowly brought to a understanding . Hes not nuts. Greatly used and abused by others, at his core, he has just seen and experienced things that are beyond a wildly imagined life time's expectations. This quality of the character reminds me of Andre Breton's " Nadja". Anele, just like Nadja,,for being outside the " parameters" of expectations and " acceptability",,is labeled insane. He has achieved a Truth of himself and like Nadja, is imprisoned (metaphorically) for it. So Glimmer reflects his image.
pg4 TLD
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Does Anele have a greater stature than all of them?

Recall that in WGW when Hollian was brought back from the dead, she Sunder and (explicitly stated, though I can't quote; my books haven't been unpacked after our move yet) also the unborn Anele were all suffused with Earthpower. They were no longer merely human. That's probably what Glimmermere recognizes in him.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Aleksandr, Good Point.

Lurch - if Anele makes himself insane intentionally, to avoid the grief if not the consequences of his own actions, how can he be 'a Truth of himself"? He has avoidance and denial writ all over him.

Return to “Last Chronicles”