Food rants.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:Why oh why can't restaurants serve bite-size pieces of lettuce in their salads? I *hate* having to take a knife to a salad....
I think I know the answer to this one...

Back in the day, before stainless steel knives, knives used on lettuce tended to turn the edges of the lettuce an unappetizing black. So the tradition of hand tearing the lettuce began. Chef training is full of "traditions." Apparently hand tearing lettuce is one that is living on beyond technical advances that make it obsolete.

I think even if a knife or kitchen shears are used to cut the lettuce, the pieces are left large to give the appearance of having been hand torn.

Any of our classically trained chefs around to confirm if this is the case?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

aliantha wrote:Why oh why can't restaurants serve bite-size pieces of lettuce in their salads? I *hate* having to take a knife to a salad....
Oh, don't be so dainty. Just shove that mouthful of salad into your mouth, and then wipe the ranch dressing off of your face. You'll be fine!

;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

heh

Ever have a wedge salad, dlb?
I'd like to see you do that with one. :twisted:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Oh, don't be so dainty. Just shove that mouthful of salad into your mouth, and then wipe the ranch dressing off of your face. You'll be fine!

;)
Spoken like a real man! :lol:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Who's the mental midget that sends an appetizer out to a table that a couple is sitting at with 5 items on it? I realize that most waitstaffing jobs don't stress higher math, but 5 isn't divisible by 2. Someone's not going to get enough mozzarella sticks.

That's just piss-poor planning, and a surefire way to screw up a first date.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cail wrote:Who's the mental midget that sends an appetizer out to a table that a couple is sitting at with 5 items on it? I realize that most waitstaffing jobs don't stress higher math, but 5 isn't divisible by 2. Someone's not going to get enough mozzarella sticks.

That's just piss-poor planning, and a surefire way to screw up a first date.
It allows you to be a gentleman and let your date have the final stick. :P Or offend her sensibilities by doing so... Hmm... Not as simple as I thought. :biggrin:

(Note that I refrained from saying "It affords you the opportunity to give her your cheesy stick")
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

:biggrin:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Menolly wrote:Ever have a wedge salad, dlb?
Wedge Salad!

Why don't the call it Too Lazy To Make It Salad! Hey, waitress, none of these salads look appealing. Can you just throw a head of lettuce on my plate?

I hand tear my lettuce for salads. Into small pieces. It can be done!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:
Wedge Salad!

Why don't the call it Too Lazy To Make It Salad! Hey, waitress, none of these salads look appealing. Can you just throw a head of lettuce on my plate?

:clap:

I think there's a recipe for lettuce wedge salad in one of my Betty Crocker cookbooks. Like you'd need one.... :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
Wedge Salad!

:clap:
Yes it can...
But do you want a five dollar surcharge for your "labor intensive" small torn lettuce?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Menolly wrote:But do you want a five dollar surcharge for your "labor intensive" small torn lettuce?
Hey -- you're the one going out to a fancy restaurant and then asking for a head of lettuce on a plate. Don't question MY priorities!!! :) :) :)
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I saw my first wedge salad just the other day.
My first thought was: "damn, that's some lazy ass preparation". :thumbsdown:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:
Menolly wrote:But do you want a five dollar surcharge for your "labor intensive" small torn lettuce?
Hey -- you're the one going out to a fancy restaurant and then asking for a head of lettuce on a plate. Don't question MY priorities!!! :) :) :)
Not me, silly.
I only asked dlb if he's ever seen a wedge salad.
Personally I'm with HLT in regards to them.
HLT wrote:My first thought was: "damn, that's some lazy ass preparation". :thumbsdown:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

HLT, I think eating out with you would be like eating out with Andy Rooney. :)

"Did you ever notice that the appetizer is better than the dinner? What's up with that? And why do they always give you a spoon? What if I'm eating a salad? Should I eat my salad with a spoon? And I hate it when they take my fork when they take my plate away. Sometimes I want to yank that fork away from them and yell 'mine!'. And how come the waiter or waitress never likes me? I always have to wait and wait for my bill. Are they avoiding me? Are they hoping I'll leave quietly before they have to talk to me again? And what's the deal with those ... "
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:LOLS:
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:HLT, I think eating out with you would be like eating out with Andy Rooney. :)

"Did you ever notice that the appetizer is better than the dinner? What's up with that? And why do they always give you a spoon? What if I'm eating a salad? Should I eat my salad with a spoon? And I hate it when they take my fork when they take my plate away. Sometimes I want to yank that fork away from them and yell 'mine!'. And how come the waiter or waitress never likes me? I always have to wait and wait for my bill. Are they avoiding me? Are they hoping I'll leave quietly before they have to talk to me again? And what's the deal with those ... "

:lol:

Apparently I never enjoy what I get either.
And I would also like to know why everyone else gets bread and butter but not my table!
We always have to ask.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I hate waiters that don't listen.

"Water with lemon" as often as not is interpreted as "Heineken".

"Tonic and lime" invariably ends up with vodka in it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If it would mean I wouldn't have to lay down a tip, then yeah, I'd pay an extra five bucks for a meal. Why *don't* we Americans just pay our wait staffs a living wage already?

Actually, I loathe tipping in general, but that's a rant for another forum....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

But, the "tip" doesn't wind up in the pocket of the prep assistant chef. And neither would the surcharge, actually. But, it is what would happen if extra time was taken to tear the lettuce into smaller pieces, I bet. At least, if management/owner became aware that the prep assistant was taking the time to do it...
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Cail wrote:I hate waiters that don't listen.

"Water with lemon" as often as not is interpreted as "Heineken".

"Tonic and lime" invariably ends up with vodka in it.
Cail, seems pretty obvious to me - they just want to get you drunk.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown

Return to “The Galley”