Food rants.

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I haven't had an air popper in years. Not sure you can even buy them any more, since everybody makes microwave popcorn now.

BTW, remember Jiffy Pop popcorn? I saw some at Target about a year ago, bought it, and made it for the girls. They were totally unimpressed. I was sooo disappointed. :(

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

They didn't get into watching the big foil balloon inflate? Bummer!

But now I feel a challenge.
Air poppers, huh?
Off to search...
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i hate popcorn drenched in butter - little goes a long way
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

wayfriend wrote:I hate popcorn because it smells so good you have to eat it and then you eat it and then you say "that sucked." But when you smell it the next time ...
EXACTLY!!!
I live in my own little world...but its okay, they know me here!
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

They used to make microwave popcorn that came with a carmel wafer you put in the bag after the corn was done popping. That stuff was unbelievably bad for you, yet so damn tasty. :P

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh fine, Lyr, now you've gone and reminded me about caramel corn. Another food substance that oughta be illegal....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

As I said earlier, I do make a mean caramel corn...

Caramel Corn

Fill a large roasting pan with 5-6 quarts of popped corn.

In a pot, combine:
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 lb margarine (I use butter- yikes, the fat!)
1/2 cup white corn syrup (this recipe is not for those watching their figures!)

Boil 5 minutes - an easy, rolling boil - and stir easily to prevent sticking.

Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

This makes the mixture swell up and change color. Blend and pour over popcorn, mixing well. Place in 250°F oven for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally, from bottom. Spread on wax paper and allow to cool.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cracker Jack's don't count as popcorn, they count as candy.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

aliantha wrote:I haven't had an air popper in years. Not sure you can even buy them any more, since everybody makes microwave popcorn now.
You can still buy them. My mom got one for Christmas this year.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Auleliel wrote:
aliantha wrote:I haven't had an air popper in years. Not sure you can even buy them any more, since everybody makes microwave popcorn now.
You can still buy them. My mom got one for Christmas this year.
I did notice some for sale this year. I haven't bought one yet, but I may eventually. The mini-bags of 94% fat free popcorn are working pretty well for me right now (mmmm, 94% fat free kettle corn...).

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:(mmmm, 94% fat free kettle corn...).
ali, I have noticed that a lot of fat free items compensate with tons of sugar. Do you have any idea what type of carbohydrate/sugars the 94% fat free kettle corn has? If it is sugar free as well, it might be a nice alternative here occasionally, although I know popcorn itself is pretty high in carbs. But, that's different than carbs from sugar...
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

What's up with leaving the bag open when displaying Italian bread for sale in supermarkets?
Every other bread in the world is wrapped to keep it fresh and clean.
But not Italian bread?
I like it a little crunchy too but leaving it exposed for several hours is asinine.

Hey Bumble Bee Tuna! (and I suspect every other tuna maker too)
If you drop the weight of the can from 6oz to 5oz why the hell are you charging me the same price? Keep the size the same and raise the damn price. I used to be able to make 3 sandwiches from one can, not anymore! Thanks for the heads up you f#ckers!
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

HLT, don't get me started on what they've done to a "half-gallon" of ice cream. Or a "cup" of yogurt.
Menolly wrote:
aliantha wrote:(mmmm, 94% fat free kettle corn...).
ali, I have noticed that a lot of fat free items compensate with tons of sugar. Do you have any idea what type of carbohydrate/sugars the 94% fat free kettle corn has? If it is sugar free as well, it might be a nice alternative here occasionally, although I know popcorn itself is pretty high in carbs. But, that's different than carbs from sugar...
All I know is, *all* the 94% fat free mini bags are 1 Weight Watchers point. 8) Seriously, tho, if the manufacturer compensated for the lack of fat with sugar, the points value would reflect that.

And btw, popcorn is a whole grain. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I alone could fill this thread ... where to begin?

I hate Spaghetti Bolognese. Don't get me wrong, I love spaghetti and I love bolognese, but those two don't match. No Italian from Bologna would eat that. Bolognese is a ragù and not a sugo - it needs thicker pasta like tagliatelle or penne rigate - and lasagne of course.

I hate it when in restaurants they fail to get a steak rare or blue - hey, what's the deal - it takes less time then to get it well done, so it should be easier.

I hate when I order "Wiener Schnitzel" (what I seldom do) and it turns out to be pork and not veal. It has to be veal and cut very thin.

I hate it when I order caprese (tomoto, mozarella and basil) and the mozzarella turns out to be fior di latte (cow milk) and not the original mozzarella di buffala - and I hate it when they use cheap olive.

I hate all kind of pizza either not baked in a wood oven or with exotic ingredients that may taste fine alone but don't belong on pizza. If you like hotdogs, fine - just don't put it on pizza. Texmex food can be yummy, but I don't want kidney beans and bacon on a pizza.

I hate it when people talk about love "Asian food". What is Asian food? Looking on a world map it can be anything from Turkey to Japan or Russia to Sri Lanka. On a different note I hate when people throw in a bit of garlic, ginger, chili and sugar and call the result "Asian BBQ sauce".

I hate convinience food and avoid everything with artificial flavors, colors, flavor enhancers and preservatives. And yes I hate yunk food (fast food if done properly can be good of course).

I hate capers in vinegar – they need to be “in sale”.

I hate the doner kebab from the kebab booth around the corner from my work. It is a fine product as such, but why does he insist on spoiling it with a yucky garlic mayonnaise instead of using a proper Tzatziki?

I better stop now or I’ll never find an end.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(Now I feel like a culinary cretin.)
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Vader wrote:I alone could fill this thread ... where to begin?

I hate it when I order caprese (tomoto, mozarella and basil) and the mozzarella turns out to be fior di latte (cow milk) and not the original mozzarella di buffala - and I hate it when they use cheap olive.
Using the finest quality ingredients is rather the point of this kind of salad. . . otherwise why bother?
Vader wrote:I hate the doner kebab from the kebab booth around the corner from my work. It is a fine product as such, but why does he insist on spoiling it with a yucky garlic mayonnaise instead of using a proper Tzatziki?
Now you're making me crave gyros with tzatziki sauce. *drool*

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Wyldewode wrote:
Vader wrote:I hate the doner kebab from the kebab booth around the corner from my work. It is a fine product as such, but why does he insist on spoiling it with a yucky garlic mayonnaise instead of using a proper Tzatziki?
Lamb Souvlaki...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

wayfriend wrote:(Now I feel like a culinary cretin.)
Me too. We can start our own Culinary Cretins Club.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:
Wyldewode wrote:
Lamb Souvlaki...
With just a hint of cinammon.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Vader wrote:I alone could fill this thread ... where to begin?
Etc.
Ahh...one of the things I miss about living in Germany...drive a few hours I could have real French because I was IN France, or Italian IN Italy...in NY I'm still in the same freakin STATE after that much time...[and the local Chinese restaurant sells pizza, and macaroni -n- cheese.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The Galley”