Clench Racing

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Bannor
Giantfriend

Clench Racing

Post by Bannor »

This is a decidely strange party game for Donaldson fans. I share it only to see if anyone else has heard of it. It goes like this:

Perhaps, as the party gets more riotous, you'd prefer games with some physical action. One of these is Clench-Racing, whose inventor Nick Lowe recommends it as a great way to get thrown out of bookshops. Up to six can play. The rules are simple: each player takes a different volume of Stephen Donaldson's blockbuster Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, opens it at random, and leafs feverishly through the text. You win by being first to find the word "clench" (or "clenched", "clenching", etc). It's a fast, furious sport, and a round rarely lasts a full minute.

The original point of Clench-Racing was to highlight Donaldson's peculiar fondness for this gritty word. If players get too good at locating "clench", Lowe slyly suggests switching to "other favourite Donaldson words like wince, flinch, gag, rasp, exigency, mendacity, articulate, macerate, mien, limn, vertigo, cynosure ..."

What do you think, sirs? :?
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:D I have never heard of that particular game before, but SRD does seem to have a select few unusual words that appear more frequently than others in TCTC. I don't remember seeing many occurences of 'macerate', though :?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I really do not mind his choice of unusual words, that's what makes his style quite unique, but if he ever again writes the phrase "vulturine wings" I will scream... :-))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Indeed. I have similar sentiments about "Don't touch me". That would be a short game indeed, using the Second Chronicles :)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'd love to play that! And it gives you another excuse to read the Chronicles!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”