Purgatory Rules & Comments

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Purgatory Rules & Comments

Post by [Syl] »

What is Purgatory?

It's a completely text-based RPG. Players choose to take on the persona of one inhabitant of the netherworld - Hell, Hel, Hades, Purgatory, the underworld... whatever you think it is. Other than that, it is a collaboration between players and the game master (me, Syl). The world takes on whatever scope and dimensions the players make and the game master allows.

How do I play?

Simply register your character in the registration thread. When you're ready, jump into the game thread.

Are there turns?

Roughly, yes. To achieve anything concrete or to make any concepts realized, you will need to submit a turn consisting of a public and a private aspect. The public turn will go in the turn thread. Each player will be allowed one public turn post per turn. What to put in this is up to the player - it could be a summation of things talked about in the game thread, a manifesto, or mere shadow and innuendo. What you hope to actually achieve should be expressly written in your private submittal to the game master (simjen.the.smith at gmail dot com). The better your submission, both public and private, the better your results will be.

What's the objective?

It depends on the player. You could choose to rule hell. You could choose to turn hell into your own paradise. Some may even choose to escape.

Is there anything I'm not allowed to do?

You are not allowed to possess any rank, titles, or property (real or otherwise) without the given consent of the game master. That's about it.

These rules are subject to change as needed.
Last edited by [Syl] on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Each player will be allowed one public turn post per game.
Typo? Is there going to be more than one turn per game, or is it the opening turn, and then RP from then on?

This sounds VERY interesting. I think I'm in.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nope, no typo. I figure a lot of people put so much work into writing their turn submittals that everyone should get a chance to see it. There's also another reason for that, but I have to wait and see how it develops before I spill the beans. So basically, what you submit publicly as your turn actions counts for half of your results. Since this is hell, though, I don't suppose I have to say that everything a player puts out publicly could be all or mostly lies.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

That makes sense. What I meant, though, was whether or not there were going to be more than one turn per game. Or is it the single turn, and then roleplay from then on till the game ends?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ah, ok. There will be many turns, but for each turn a player is allowed one public submission in the turn thread, one private submission via email, and unlimited posts in the game thread.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, it was a typo. Fixed
-George Steiner
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Registration will occur when the story places me within the madness. Definitely before two weeks in the mundane realm has passed.
Who knows where madness lies?
To surrender Dreams, this may be madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash?
Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not how it should be!
~ Cervantes
Benito Alvarez
Giantfriend

Post by Benito Alvarez »

I exist only to destroy.

Excellent idea, Syl.
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Question: I'm sorry but I am not very clear on the type of creature we can be. It looks like we have a fallen angel and a diety of some sort so far. Can we be human? Can we be heavenly? (I ask because I notice that you mentioned everything from hell to purgatory but not heaven)

I just need more clarification on types of characters. Thanks.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You can be anything you want. Though I imagine you'll probably hear something like 'What's an angel like you doing in a place like this?' a time or two.
-George Steiner
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Hehehehe. Possibly.

Ok, thanks. I will submit my character to the registration thread.
The King has one more move.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

im quite interested, just unsure weather i have the time available or not
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Of course you have the time.
The King has one more move.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...what caam said, Dorian.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Hmmm...Seems like the voice of god has been silenced already.

Mwahahahaha

(Edit...do we really have to wait another week? :evil: )

(Edit 2: Syl, maybe delete FM's post from the reg thread? (Maybe he can join in when he's back...)
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Iblis wrote:Hmmm...Seems like the voice of god has been silenced already.
Oh, no, it's back. :lol:
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Metatron
Servant of the Land

Post by Metatron »

Who are you talking about, Iblis?
Put your hand under my thigh. This is the righteous one. The mystery is that the world exists on these three: grace, judgment and mercy. He is appointed from the mystery above to resurrect those who sleep in the grave. He will come with the will from the one who is above to bring back the breath and the soul to the proper place.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

You of course. Sorry...I automatically associate the Metatron with the "voice of god", although I know it isn't actually an official designation. And you deleted your first post...hence...

Of course there's nothing to say you're going that way, which is why I posted it here, not in the game thread...like I said, it didn't really mean anything. Just a spontaneous comment.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Fullmetal660 wrote:
A once masterful and skilled assassin of the heavenly gods, Silk, was betrayed by the same gods he worked for so loyally. He was banished to a vast and empty dimension lest he become corrupt by the world of men and think to kill the very same gods he once worked for.

But alas, the gods in their twisted wisdom created the monster they thought to prevent. Now Lord Silk dreams of only one end, to obliterate the gods he once served.

First, however, he must gain control of this dark place and amass an unholy army to march through world of men and then up onto the high places where the gods muse upon their heavenly thrones and face them in all out war that will be waged across all worlds until whomever fails is smote down into that endless void that men call death.
Scrap that, just realised that i'm on holiday when this game starts and I won't be back until august the 10th so it may be unconvenient for everyone else playing, therefore I respectfully withdraw, ahh well, maybe next time.
Since it's the first turn, we'll put the turn deadline two weeks after registration (or earlier if everyone ok's it). That should give you until the 16th, if that works for you.

This also gives everyone a week of gameplay in the game thread and then a week to submit turns.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

To answer a common question:

Anything you can imagine can exist. Speak of it, and it exists, or at least it has the virtue of existence. But don't think you created it or own it. That takes work in the public and private turns. I suppose it's best to say that you can imagine all you want as long as you don't assume.
-George Steiner

Return to “Purgatory”