Purgatory - Game Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Purgatory - Game Thread

Post by [Syl] »

Talk amongst yourselves.
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Backstory

Stunning…”

Knowing full well the affect her ensemble provoked, Lily turned slowly from the mirror towards her guardian Sam, smiling radiantly at the praise. Her deep auburn hair set off her crystal blue eyes, and her color was high on her cheeks as she gazed at the man who had raised her.

His eyes raked over her, settling at last on the disk of pure gold settled upon her bosom. Reaching towards it, a faint hiss of steam seemed to arise from his fingertips as he lightly traced the three words engraved on it…

Snvi
Snsvi
Smnglof

Raising his eyes back to hers, he let it drop and smiled up at her. “Twenty-one. Amazing. Most girls stop wearing this when they are twenty days old, yet you had it when I found you at fourteen, and refused to part with it for seven years now. It is time. Remove this child’s trinket. It distracts from the beauty you are today.”

Lily turned back to the mirror, a crease puckering between her brows. Always he asked her to remove her amulet, and always she had refused. It was the only thing she had from before; from before the blankness that has kept her from knowing her origins before Sam took her in. Gently fingering the disk, she gazed at the reflection of the older man in the mirror. “Tatti Sam, please understand. It is all…”

“It is all you have of your unknown childhood. Yes, I know. Very well, wear it in good health, today of all days!!

“You’re birthday dinner awaits. Let us greet our guests.”
Who knows where madness lies?
To surrender Dreams, this may be madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash?
Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not how it should be!
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Mentally stretching to the snapping and popping as the fire ate the wood stacked in the hall’s fireplace, Lily recalled the night’s festivities with relish. Sam had outdone himself. The food was plentiful and the liquor freely flowed. Their guests were largely unknown to her; mostly business associates of Sam’s as she had stayed sheltered in Sam’s house since arriving and had no friends of her own.

But Lidérc. Lily had never seen someone like Lidérc. A subordinate of one of Sam’s associates, he was mesmerizing to her. And, he knew it. Lily sighed. His self-confidence that she was drawn to him only made him more attractive to her, let alone his slim 5’11” frame to her 5’7” one. His eyes were also blue, but so dark they were nearly black, the pupils barely detectable. His bronzed skin contrasted to the paleness of her own, and she smiled remembering his dark brown wavy shoulder length hair reflecting hints of blue as the lights highlighted the leather thong he used to tie it back while his head was bent to brush his lips against her hand in greeting when they were introduced.

And that was all.
To surrender Dreams, this may be madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash?
Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not how it should be!
~ Cervantes
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

It was wrote:Shattered, cast down, flung from the burning light of the Presence that had refused his pride, that had spat its lie into his face, Iblis,
once Azazel, once high, now Fallen in his despair, lay motionless on the glassy cracked cinders of an empty and featureless wasteland.

He knew the true purpose of this place whatever it suited those self-righteous fools to pretend to believe, and here,
through the exercise of his will alone, he would teach them all the real lesson of Gehenna.

While the Presence tortured its creation and called its madness Love, the will of the Fallen would shape this void into a Kingdom of another kind.
Let the Presence make scapegoats for its cruelty. In the end, the Truth would be known.
Waking now, on the fused cinders that had not cushioned him, a circle fifty feet across and bounded by a waist-high wall absent on his arrival.
Rising. Not a wall...a parapet, full hundred feet above the dark plain reflecting splinters of light toward an ash-grey sky. Formed unperceived in an instant while he lay still.

Apertureless, sealed. Seated on the parapet Iblis scanned the horizon of this unreal world.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Lily had attempted to surreptitiously watch Lidérc as he sat far away from the head table with the other subordinates, but she caught Sam throwing knowing glances her way. So the party ended without any further interaction between them. Again stretching in the overstuffed settee in front of the fire, this time physically, Lily allowed her thoughts to drift langorously on Lidérc, inviting sleep to overcome her.

Her thoughts mixing with the beginning of dreams, she was at first unaware of the gentle, relaxing kneading of her shoulders. It was so…enticing. The strong hands continued kneading, drifting downward until even in her half slumberous state there was no way to not acknowledge that someone was there. Yet, she felt no alarm. She wanted this to continue.

Slowly turning so when she opened her eyes they would look directly at whomever was massaging her, she readied herself. Her eyes opened unwillingly, and she saw Lidérc smiling seductively down at her.

“When?? Where??”

Gazing deeply into his eyes, she thought she saw the fire not just reflected, but within them. Her yearning for him deepened, yet he should not have been able to get in to the hall unseen, much less even on to the property.

“How did you get here?” She barely managed to whisper.

“You thought me here.”

As he bent down to kiss her, and Lily closed her eyes in rapture, she was unaware the darkness obscuring the hall’s lights were the ebony wings of the incubus surrounding them and covering them from view.

In the distance, a screech owl called: “li! li!
~ Cervantes
Metatron
Servant of the Land

Post by Metatron »

Descention.

His brilliance blinded even the Flaming One who guarded the Gates of Hell, the one who tried to stop his entrance. Lahatiel, the Flaming One, the lesser, one of the cast down.

"You may not enter here. This is not your place!" Lahatiel had shrieked. Yet, he continued his descent without a word, ignoring the very presences of the cast down.

He heard Lahatiel laugh, slowly at first then reach a pitch of hysterical shrillness. "You have no power here!!"

Down, down, down, into the darkness, away from the evil mirth, away from the eyes of The One.

He descended slowly into the Abyss. His foot touched down gently as the ash floated away from his form as if seeking escape from his vitality.

Burning, stinging wind full of smoke and detrius suddenly whipped around him, lifting his hair and whipping his garments as if to punish him for his intrusion into its realm. He turned his face into the wind, allowing it know him, allowing it to fear him, not shrinking from its bite.

He knew this place, helped The One create it. It had been well made.

He turned and began to move with deliberate slowness to begin his task.
Put your hand under my thigh. This is the righteous one. The mystery is that the world exists on these three: grace, judgment and mercy. He is appointed from the mystery above to resurrect those who sleep in the grave. He will come with the will from the one who is above to bring back the breath and the soul to the proper place.
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

[Centuries ago]

"Alek, I have seen you several times now in the centuries since I came here. And I've noticed something. All around us is, literally, Hell. The very best we ever get is boredom beyond anything we could have experienced while alive. Usually, there is pain and suffering. And, often enough, horror beyond imagination. Yet you have been... What is it... Growing immune? How can this be? How can you become immune to Hell??"

"Death was very traumatic, Kol, yes? A new reality. A new existence. And in my case, as with many others, the translation was extremely violent and sudden. And my last days were filled with sorrow and pain. So, when I awoke here, it was easy to forget what I had learned in life. But over time, those things that are most important cannot remain buried. I remember them. I feel them. I am born again in Stovakor. I will not be subject to the tortures found here."

"I was apparently not as lucky as you while I lived. I didn't learn the things you did. Will you teach me?"
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Goosebumps prickling her nakedness, the chill from the cold stone of the hearth started penetrating Lily’s consciousness. It was still dark in the hall, but dawn’s rays were coloring the view off of the balcony, where Lily could make out the finely sculpted shape of Lidérc. He stood there serene and proud, without modesty for his own nakedness.

If he is fine with it, so am I, Lily thought, for I am his equal and will show him so. She rose with her own nakedness proudly bourne, and made to move towards the balcony.

And heard applause.

“Well done, Lidérc!” Sam’s voice rang out. Lily spun rapidly, scanning frantically for something to cover herself. And stopped stock still in front of him. Sam…her Tatti Sam, was also naked. Yet, as she stared, the years dropped off him, and he became more beautiful and radiant with each passing second. She reached towards him…

”Hold!!” his voice rang out.

And he shone, while wings spread forth in fiendish glory with fire tracing along his pinion feathers. Spinning around the index finger of his right hand was the chain that held her amulet. She must have removed it, along with everything else, at some point during the night.

li! li!

Catching her glance at the spinning chain, Sam stopped it and held it up in front of her view.

“For seven years this has stopped you from meeting your true mother. It was placed upon you by the mortal surrogate who carried and birthed you, and whom you called Mother, in an attempt to prevent this day. We celebrated your mortal birthday yesterday, but today…today is your true day of birth!!

With that pronouncement, he flung the amulet into the cold hearth. Dark blue flame burst forth, blue the color of Lidérc’s eyes, Lily noticed as she gasped and jumped towards the flames to retrieve her property. But she couldn’t get close, the flames were magnitudes of degrees hotter than anything she had ever felt before.

li! li!, li!li!, lili! lily! Lily! Lily! La la la la la…Lily!

Lily slowly realised that she had heard the calling of the screech owl the entire night. But as her amulet melted, a trickle of molton gold ran out from the hearth, twisting and turning like a miniture river. No, more sinuous than a river. A snake, a gold snake, is what ran through her head. The snake writhed along the floor towards the ornate mirror near the doors to the balcony. And the closer to the mirror the snake got, the more melodious the calling of the owl became, until it was a song of beauty in a rich contralto voice that was issuing from the mirror.

La la la Lily! How I have longed to say those words and speak to you…daughter.”

Raising her eyes from the path of the gold snake to the mirror, Lily’s breath caught in her throat. Inside the mirror was a woman. Also fully naked. But like the men…incubi?…in the room, the most beautiful specimen of her gender Lily had ever seen. Deep auburn hair and piercing blue eyes, like herself. Alabaster skin, even paler than her own. The resemblance between them was undeniable. But, this woman had wings. The ebony wings of a bat. Lily cast a quick glance over her shoulder. No, nothing had grown in the midst of all these revelations. Was she relieved? …or disappointed?

“Hahahahaha!!!” Melodious, joyous laughter flowed from the mirror. “Do you see that, Samael, my love? She is quick, this one. She will avoid becoming one of the daily one hundred, that can be seen.

“Come, help me out of this glass so I may embrace my daughter…and you.”

Sam, her Tatti Sam, revealed at last as the archangel Samael, stepped to the mirror and clapsed the hand of the woman within it. “It has been long and long, Lilith, my Queen,” he murmured. As she stepped forth, he embraced her fully, and the kiss that followed should have had ballads composed to record it.
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Breaking apart and gazing wondrously at each other, they both heard a soft, tremulous voice. Lidérc had knelt on one knee before them, head bowed, and repeated, “My Queen.”

Gently grasping him under the chin, Lilith raised his head and smiled down at him. “You did your job well. Your Father here may be proud of you.”

Lidérc smiled in return at the radiant woman. Then cast his eyes down again.

“My Queen. It may have been only one night, but there is something about this one,” and he cast his head in Lily’s direction. “I request…”

*swallows*

“I request I accompany her on her journey.”

Lilith’s eyes hardened. “You over reach yourself, demon.”

Then she smiled.

“But wait just a little longer. It is obvious Lily enjoyed your talents. Instead of Samael setting her on her new path, perhaps he will deed the honor to his son, and he and I can get reacquainted instead?” Lidérc smiled at these words, and looked at Samael. Samael gave a curt nod of his head. It appeared he was torn between the two women, but his love and loyalty to the radiant creature beside him won out.

“Now, finally, Little One. My li li, my Lily. Come to my embrace.”

Lily stood rooted to her spot. This woman in front of her, this creature, claimed to be her mother. Tatti Sam was obviously devoted to her. But in spite of his devotion, in spite of her beauty and radiance, there was something…diseased about her. Lily sensed it. And she wanted to flee far from it.

“Lily, come. Look at me and come.”

Glancing up at the woman, at Lilith, Lily’s eyes met her own. And saw…eternity.
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Stumbling forward, not with joy but from disorientation, Lily collapsed in Lilith’s arms.

“There, I have waited years for this. You will soon see. You are my daughter, my handmaiden. My Ardat lili. I love you.

“And you will come to love me.”

Releasing her, she guided Lily back to the arms of Lidérc.

“Keep in mind, demon. She is mine. I am of the same mud as Adam, and my children carry the status of equality that grants me. Pleasure her.

“And then set her free.”

Releasing Lily with a hug, Lilith left the hall on Sam’s arm, headed towards Sam’s private chambers. Lily felt the beginning shudders of shock setting in.

And then they were stilled, and a calmness and longing took their place.

“Lily,” Lidérc whispered. “I must allow you choice, always. You are Ardat lili, and as such are my equal, if not superior. Will you come with me now?”

“My choice.”

“Yes, your choice.”

“And if I refuse you?”

“I will await your welcome.”

“Then come now. I may be confused and angry at being manipulated out of my amulet, but I wish to be in your arms, and…”

A blush crept up on to her high cheeks.

“…enwrapped again in your wings.”
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

How long they spent together has not been shared. But enjoy each other they did, for they remained together longer than Samael and Lilith, who sought them out once they themselves had recuperated from their reunion. Lilith’s eyes widened when she realised Lidérc was still with Lily. When they arrived, Lily slept and Lidérc greeted the two alone.

“Your father and I are honored you waited for us before you started Lily’s journey, but it is beyond time.”

Turning a face of determination towards Samael, Lidérc stated, “I won’t permit it.”

Instantly Samael burst into radiance. “What?

“I told you last night, she is different. Let her retain her mortal form and live out that life. I will watch over her.”

Your days as a guardian are long over!!!” Samael exploded.

Lilith stepped between the two fallen angels.

“Lidérc, you know there is no choice for her. She is mine, not yours. Set her free.

“Or your father will do so for you.”

My Queen!!!

Now.

“Then leave us again and return at midnight. She will be ready to venture forth at that time.”
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Lily stirred and looked coquettishly at Lidérc. “Have you been awake long?”

“No,” he smiled. “Just long enough to miss you.”

“Then why are you all the way over there?”

Casting a long glance at her smile, and watching her breath fall and recede, Lidérc went over to Lily, and finally, regretting every moment but doing everything he could to start Lily’s journey so she only knew pleasure and joy, set to work doing what he was cast out to do. Slowly, so slowly she was unaware in her joy, her warmth receded and filled him. His blood started to boil with her living energy force. He slowly embraced once again what he was created to be, and the mortal next to him faded from life.

His job done, his craving sated, he let go of the husk that had fed him. It was yet another hour before Lilith and his father returned. He could not bear it! He could not face his father in his shame at denying who he himself was in the offer to watch the girl.

The night beckoned. He himself was free to find others to feed upon while offering pleasure. Without a last look at the husk on the bed, he went to the balcony, spread his wings, and flew.
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Lilith and Samael arrived exactly at midnight, Samael prepared to battle his son if need be. When there was no answer to their knock, they tried the latch and the door opened to their corporal touch, without undue influence needed. Relaxing their stance, they entered the room.

li li, arise,” Lilith called.

A soft blue glow started to emanate from the husk.

Again…”li li, arise.

The glow burst into radiance, and the husk arched its back spasmodically. When it relaxed, white wings trailed out from either side of the body.

Samael glanced over to Lilith. “White?”

Lilith shrugged. “Regardless of wing color, she is mine,” she spat.

“Lidérc did say he believed she was different,” Samael muttered to himself.

The Ardat lili looked at her mother, and smiled. Then she strode to Samael. And embraced him.

“Tatti Sam.”

The two radiant ones glanced at each other in alarm. Then slowly guided the new Ardat lili back to the hall. Lilith strode to the mirror, then turned to Samael. “I will just see this one situated and return soon, my love. Try not to find anymore foundlings that will keep us apart another seven mortal years while I am away from you.”

Samael smiled at his Queen, then escorted the new Ardat lili to the frame of the mirror.

Lilith reached over and grabbed an elbow. “Through the mirror you will find a spiral stairway. Let us go and I will set you on its path.” And together they stepped up, and in, and vanished from Samael’s view.

Turning to the landing in front of her, Lilith pointed to the first step of the spiral staircase. “Descend to Ascend.”

The Ardat lili looked. She understood she was new to this plane, but her perception had to still be really out of whack. The stairwell spiraled down. Yet, it also went up. Like an M.C. Escher sketch, it was tricking her eye. She glanced at her mother, hesitant to make that first step.

Lilith raised a brow at her. “Descend to Ascend,” was all she repeated. The Ardat lili stepped.

And was engulfed in blue flame.

With each step, memories came flooding back, most recent first. Lidérc’s smile and touch. Tatti Sam at the party, educating her, finding her…blankness. The flame roared around her, then within her, burning out all trace of memory. Forgotten was Lidérc. Forgotten was Lilith. Forgotten was Tatti Sam. All that remained was blankness, which the blue flame roared ever higher to penetrate. It hurt. It started to consume her completely in its frustration. She screamed. She tried running further down. The flame roared higher. She started back up and was prevented by pressure that also fed the flames. She hurt, she screamed, she…hurled herself over the railing.

And fell up into madness and dreams…
~ Cervantes
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

The Lightness and the Darkness never altered. Not trapped, but unmoving, ever vigilant, Iblis surveyed the so-far unchanging horizon of this surreal realm...uncertain of his next step.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

Beings of various species, wearing robes of leaf-green and silver, begin showing up in Stovakor. Not many. Perhaps a half-dozen, each centered in and around the small Woods that more-or-less surround a larger Forest. They hang signs on Trees:
Do you remember Love? How long ago did you last feel it? How long ago did you last give it? Come to the great Forest, Gont, two weeks from today, Alek will speak in the clearing known as Re Albi,along the eastern edge of the Forest. He will speak of Love.
All are friendly, and answer questions. Indeed, one of them, the one seen in Gont, is Alek, himself. And always, they say, "Meet us in Re Albi. Let's rediscover Love together."
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Replacing the leaf from which she took her name back where she found it, and fighting the vertigo created by the shifting landscape and sky, Niggle focuses her attention on the immediate area around her. The land settles, and a path forward materializes. Interesting, she thinks to herself.

Flexing her wings behind her, she settles them against her back. No flight just now. A brisk walk, to survey what appears as I travel is in order.

With one last look around at The Parish, she strides forward into destinations unknown.
~ Cervantes
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

Thoughtful, above the gate again barricaded Iblis, once high and now Fallen, surveyed the first of his Disciples as they began to explore the Circle behind.

His will had taken root in at least some of what passed for hearts in this fell place.

Well pleased, Iblis turned toward the souls still approaching in the wastelands outside the Wall.

Curious.

Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

From the air, the forest spanned Niggle’s sight. Here and there, she spotted gaps in the trees where lakes or meadows beckoned. Having never flown before, she was beginning to tire. Yet, she still hesitated to enter the possible Will of another. Or at least, to enter without being able to learn of the intent of said Will.

In the distance, a tiny tendril of a column of smoke drifted towards the heavens. Curious, Niggle flew closer. Below her a small clearing appeared, and a makeshift camp with a small cook fire revealed itself to her. Wandering through the camp were three figures. They were the first beings Niggle has seen since awakening in The Parish.

The need for interaction overwhelming her decision to remain apart, Niggle landed on the edge of the clearing. Slowly and cautiously she approached the three. They were hooded and silent, and faced away from her. Stopping 20 feet or so away, she ventured gently with, “Excuse me…”

As one, they slowly turned towards her. Niggle’s eyes widened as she appraised these Ones before her. The first looked at her with wide beautiful eyes, filled with wisdom Niggle longed to hear. But this One had no mouth with which to speak. The second cocked it’s head from side to side, as if listening intently for something, and then Niggle saw where eyes should be, only blank sockets stared back. The third looked whole to Niggle’s eyes. Then it motioned towards her, and Niggle saw the scarred stumps at the end of its arms.

Preparing to fly away at the first hostile motion, Niggle tried again. “Hello. Can you tell me where I am? And…

“Is there anything I can do for you?”
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

Very nice. That went well. Actually, I couldn't have asked for a better beginning.

Something about this one, though... Not sure what...

*approaches a winged being*

"Hello. I'm Alek. Thank you for coming. I guess you know a little about me, now. Can I ask you to tell me a bit about yourself? I sense... something. Familiarity? Hm, maybe not. Similarity, perhaps? Yes, that's closer."
When your life is filled with Love, ...uh... it's a pretty neat thing.
Metatron
Servant of the Land

Post by Metatron »

Metatron smiled warmly at Alek and inclined his head.

"You may call me Metatron. Similarity, yes, indeed. We are similar and I wholeheartedly support your efforts. But, please, do not let me interfere with your preaching. So many have need of you."

Metatron turned to leave the clearing but then stopped and turned, addressing Alek once more.

"I will send more to you." He turned and left.
Put your hand under my thigh. This is the righteous one. The mystery is that the world exists on these three: grace, judgment and mercy. He is appointed from the mystery above to resurrect those who sleep in the grave. He will come with the will from the one who is above to bring back the breath and the soul to the proper place.

Return to “Purgatory”