Purgatory - Game Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

Interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

"How encouraging! Thank you, Metatron. Perhaps Stovakor won't be so bad after all. I look forward to meeting you again."

*bow*
When your life is filled with Love, ...uh... it's a pretty neat thing.
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

Mmmm? What's that?

*tilts head*

What a pretty song!
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

What's with those three handicapped guys who keep following me around? Well, they need to move.

"Hi, guys. Thanks for coming. Let me know if you need anything. But do me a favor... We need to move some tables and chairs here for tonight's meeting. Could you move over by that Yew? Thanks."

...later...

[more to come soon...]
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Niggle drew closer to the Three, and looked into their cookpot. Vegetable stew? No. It is not what I need. But...what do I need?

The three continued to regard her in silence. No answers were forthcoming. Niggle sighed. She had gone deeply enough into someone else's Will, and she determined the time to move forth before being unduly influenced was at hand.

Looking about her at the trees, and hearing rustlings which slightly perturbed her, she bowed in farewell to the Three and once more took to the skies. Scanning ahead of the wood, she noticed a road meandering into an empty plain of reddish gray dust and chose to follow the road...
Who knows where madness lies?
To surrender Dreams, this may be madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash?
Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not how it should be!
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

The winds rustled and rumbled with words of passions and force. Niggle dove down to the road, to wait out the passing of this storm of psalms. She had no idea what the storm foretold, if anything, yet here and there phrases struck at her with more force than others.

"wa-king hunger?"
Yes! How she hungered!!!

...and Truth.
Did someone else seek Truth in this place?
To surrender Dreams, this may be madness, to seek treasure where there is only trash?
Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not how it should be!
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Niggle gazed back along the road with sadness. From three to one. I wonder what I did that coerced the other two to leave? she wondered silently to herself.

Turning to the One still with her, she bowed slightly.

“I am honored by your presence, although I know naught of you. Nor do I know anything of this Road we are on.

“Your companions left you, so I must determine how much aid your sightlessness requires…”

The silent One curtly shook its head, and waved Niggle onward. Inwardly sighing, Niggle gazed thoughtfully upon the path. Suddenly turning back to her companion, she looked into the empty sockets and declared, “I will not travel with an unnamed presence. You have yet to speak, or to utter a name for yourself. I will call you Derlebn, until you tell me otherwise.” Extending one leg forward, the One bowed in return, extending both arms outward to either side with a flourish. Its countenance took on the semblance of a secretive grin as it did so.

Niggle’s brows rose at this, but she took the gesture as acceptance, if done a little dramatically. Perhaps this One has a sense of humor after all, she inwardly smiled to herself.

Settling herself for the trek ahead, she once more turned her attention to the Road. Without glancing back to see if she was followed, she took her first step into further unknown realms.
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

The road continued onward, twisting and turning as the forest slowly receded further into the distance yet never revealing what lay more than a mile or so ahead. The further along its path Niggle walked, the wider the road became, until it was a featureless gray thoroughfare on an even wider gray featureless plain. As before, here and there Niggle saw what she determined was the Will of others in the distance. Until she learned the Truth of such domains, she remained determined to stay away.

Glancing up, Niggle noticed the sky had reverted to its swirling miasma. She shuddered, glad to be on foot once again.

A nearly imperceptible change in the sound of Derlebn's stride caused her to glance further ahead than she had grown accustomed to doing during this trek. On the road ahead of her were four figures; three appeared to be more of the silent Ones she had already met. The fourth was...different. A small balding male, hunched over what looked like a square of hide, was mumbling incoherently to himself.

Pangs of hunger unexpectedly crippled Niggle momentarily, forging longing for the intensity of the craving into her soul. Shaking off the urge to rush forward and grab anything the group had that would curb her appetite, Niggle determined it is easier to catch flies with honey than to make a bull rush for nourishment.

Drawing herself upright, and acquiring as alluring a countenance as she could manage, Niggle approached the small group, body attuned for the slightest sign of hostility and braced for flight.

"Hello...?"
~ Cervantes
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

nameless wrote:By his own account, [Nameless] found himself for a time to be a man without noticeable feature. The flesh of his being was loose, though, and his scalp remained patched. He turned inward for deciphering the land. This path was too bright and humming to discern much otherwise. So he set himself to fashioning a map until its circles were clearer. When he turned to the partial hosts who had trailed, they motioned for the map and wished to gaze at it or feel the texture of the etch. There were at times five others near him, but he saw them little. A choral invitation sounded, but when he brought his ears to hear, it was still brighter. When he peered out, there was no silence, but only a woman who had approached carefully. Her words were not of his own and she stood in the direction he would not return. After a moment, he offered a look at the maphide.
Niggle gazed at the man proffering the square of hide towards her silently. He had yet to say a word.

Are all creatures here silent, unless something unique happens? she wondered to herself.

Moving cautiously even closer, she peered at the hide from his side. Then looked back at the man, baffled.

"I...

"I don't understand..."
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

*eyes widen hugely and head turns quickly enough to pull a muscle*

In the name of Bhakti!!! Did I just hear a Dragon's roar?!? I once rode such noble beings!!

Although... Not all of them were noble. Perhaps I should investigate. Which direction was it flying...
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

[Two days after the fifth Meeting of Love]

*steps away from the Trees, and looks toward the horizon*

I'm fairly sure the Dragon's roar came from this direction. It wasn't considerate enough to fly directly overhead of where I was standing, so I couldn't see it, and don't know which direction it was going. But maybe I can find someone who saw.

*walks for a short time*

Ah, here we go.

*waving to get someone's attention* "Sir!" At least I hope it's a 'sir'. Sometimes it's difficult to tell here. "Did you, by chance, happen to see a Dragon fly by a few days ago?"

*the individual sprouts tentacles, waves them wildly, and skreeches louder than one would have thought possible*

Well, that didn't work. Let's see... Ah! I'll try this...

*flaps arms and does a darned good impression of a Dragon roar*

*the individual waves its tentacles in one general direction*

"Thank you." *bows, and walks on*
nameless
Servant of the Land

Post by nameless »

Vision sharpened for a moment, revealing each of the figures along the road. [Nameless] sought suddenly a key from the three emissaries who had been observing him, and found but disent. Only the first--handless as a thief--remained after the scuffle. Where the maphide had fallen, [Nameless] crouched and studied the new marks. He was satisfied with their indication and shook the map at the woman and her companion. Prutahd, he said, but knew they understood him not.
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

[After a day's walk, Alek comes upon a man and woman looking at a map.]

Ah, perhaps they can guide me.

"Madame. Sir." *bow* "I am Alek, of Gont. I am on a quest. I am certain I heard the roar of a dragon - a very large, winged, fire-breathing creature - some days ago. Alas, I could not see it through the Trees I was under when it went overhead. I was told that it flew in this general direction. Did you happen to see or hear of it? Can you tell me which way it went?"
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Niggle's eyes rose from the incomprehensible markings on the hide to the new stranger addressing them. She sensed wisdom and strength from the man, but a lack of anything to assuage her hunger. Whereas she was still puzzled regarding the other man next to her. She sensed abilities emanating from him which where beyond her ken, and suspected the hide depicted his Truth, though she saw it not. But, he also didn't seem to have what she desperately needed now.

"A dragon? Really? I have heard nothing that may have been a dragon.

"However, if we can figure out a way to communicate with this gentleman here, he may have been on this road longer than I, and may have seen or heard something more."

Niggle glanced at the the silent Ones now clustered together. It appeared something occured while she was looking at the hide. Derlebn was back, and she was glad to see him. But only the Handless of the man beside her remained; of his Mouthless and Eyeless, there was no sign.

Yet, the stranger had a One with him as well. And his was the third of their kind, a Mouthless. So although they started from different groupings, which were apparently torn asunder as a decision on who would remain with a traveler in this realm was made, these three were now returned to their complete state in a new grouping.

It would be handy if Derlebn tried that trick again. Perhaps a different Mouthless would be willing to translate for us.

"This gentleman and I have just met up; I have yet to determine his name. I am...," she hesitated, unsure how she should continue. "I am known as Niggle, a silly name, but one that suits, for now."

And she bowed, as she had been taught.

<taught when???>
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

"Ah. I see." *looking specifically at the man* "Sir, do you have any information you would share with me?"

*noticing the woman looking at the others* "Do you know anything about them? This one seems intent on following me around. No idea why. I've been ignoring him, since he seems to have no interest in communicating."

*suddenly staring intently at her*

"Niggle! You are a succubus! Stovakor must be a terrible place for you! You should leave, so you can be rid of your pain!"
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

*eyebrows raising*

"I think of those in white as 'The Silent Ones.' They apparently merge to share information, the resultant One taking on the features of both. When I arrived her, this man," nodding towards the man next to her, "still had three with him. The one who has chosen to travel with me is the eyeless one. I decided to call him Derlebn, which roughly means I should live to see. He seemed to appreciate the humor in my choice when I bestowed it upon him.

"When we came upon the group that was here, Derlebn merged with Mouthless that was here, with his mouth appearing on the face of the one that absorbed him. And then it spoke briefly to me. Though all he told me was that they follow to observe us."

At his second statement to her, Niggle's eyes grew round. "A succubus? Then no food will calm this constant hunger...

"There is a way out? I barely know where I am, I have been here only a few days. And I...I remember nothing from before I arrived here. If only there was a map of this place..."
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

"No, I do not think you will find what your current form needs. Not in Hell. If you leave, you can find other planes that would satisfy you. But better to spare others the results of your appetites. You should transcend all, merge with Love, and have all cravings satisfied forever. If you need help learning how to do this, my friends in Gont will be more than happy to oblige. And I will be returning there after I track down this Dragon.

"In any event, I must be on my way. Thank you for the conversation."

*walks away*
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Niggle sadly watched him go. He appeared to be willing to speak the wisdom she discerned within him when she first saw him. But whether his Truth held true for her, or if it was only an extension of his Will, remained to be seen.

Turning her attention back to the square of hide, she mumbled under her breath to the man next to her, "what do these symbols depict?"
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

*glances back one last time*

I wonder what the man's story is. A shame he wouldn't talk with me. Still, he's a clean little guy.
Niggle
Stonedownor

Post by Niggle »

Derlebn's head jerked up at Niggle's muttering. He may be eyeless, but his hearing tended to compensate. And the hide radiated with meaning he understood, even if the empty winged one never would perceive it. Striding over to the two eetoor, he pointed to a tree on the side of the road. Niggle brushed him off.

Insistently prying the hide from the man's fingers, Derlebn pointed at a symbol towards the edge of it, and then pointed once again at the tree, raising his eyebrows towards the two. The man said something Niggle didn't catch, and then she uttered, "Tree?"

Derlebn nodded vigorously, then showed that the symbol was clustered many times along that edge of the hide. He then pointed back down the road, back the way they had come, towards the forest. Again the man said something unknown to Niggle, and she responded quietly with dawning comprehension, "Forrest. So this is a map. Of some sort..."
~ Cervantes
Alek
Stonedownor

Post by Alek »

[Another day's walk]

Thank goodness for that... person who actually saw the Dragon. If I had continued in the exact direction I was going, I'd never find it. As it is, I should be there in another day. But why in Bhakti's name did it attack a tower?!? And if the witness is right, it was laughing?!? And who is this "Iblis" who built the tower? So many mysteries! Stovakor is nearly as busy as Eiran!

Return to “Purgatory”